How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

First, to each his own.... I don't care what you shoot. I am not a big "Poor elk suffered" person......

They are wild animals we are shooting with guns and there is much suffering in the wild. Yeah I would never purposely make an animal suffer needlessly, but an elk is not someone's pet dog. I get sick of people going on and on about suffering, these animals stand out in -20 degree weather without eating for weeks in the winter and in the end are ripped apart, while alive, by wolves, coyotes, cars, trains, falls down cliffs....... yes, much suffering in the wild and it happens.

I personally would avoid elk hunting with a 6.5 for elk. When I am looking through my scope at a big heavy bull at "whatever" range, I want to know that if I hit the elk in the hip or shoulder that the bullet has enough energy to shatter it and really mess that elk up so I can finish it off and it doesn't just run 4 miles across 3 ridge lines in 8 minutes to never be seen again.

This video is real. A real elk hunt. From the comments, many of you have never been on a real elk hunt. **** does happen. It appears the hunter took his time and his first round hit, this is good..... After the elk is moving, follow up shots can be more difficult. If you are tracking through your scope the whole time to not lose track of the elk it is easy to not get a good range/angle/wind call because you don't have the field of view. Did the elk move to 650 from the 600 original yards, is it less down hill, is the wind blocked by the terrain more...... I wonder how many of you have hunted elk more than a couple times and if you ever have without a guide? At least the ones that are most critical on this forum. Anyone that has hunted elk for years and pulled the trigger on one 10 -20 time has seen the same **** that is in this video, but it happened to them. Probably with a 7mm/.300 magnum though, because anyone that hunts elk regularly in the rocky mountains will most likely be using one of those two rifles or bigger.

CONGRATS JACOB! Nice Elk! Way to stick with it and make sure it didn't run off and die needlessly somewhere to never be seen again. Great ending to a good hunt. Sorry for YOUR suffering while packing that monster out. I'd suggest using a little more gun next time.

The number of times I've seen that same scene play out is amazing, 7 mags and 300's being the most, first round breaks the shoulder without penetrating the chest, pumped trying to get it finished and spray rounds all over then finally getting them dispatched. That's why we don't shoot elk in the shoulder and if they drop a second round is fired quickly cause you may have just stunned and dropped them. One round through the lungs and be done with it!!

The shot hit the brisket and the off side leg, the caliber was fine. One more minute of elevation and it dies right there. All of this whining from people on this site isn't supposed to be allowed. It was a very successful hunt and nobody has a right to judge someone else's choices.

First, to each his own.... I don't care what you shoot. I am not a big "Poor elk suffered" person......

They are wild animals we are shooting with guns and there is much suffering in the wild. Yeah I would never purposely make an animal suffer needlessly, but an elk is not someone's pet dog. I get sick of people going on and on about suffering, these animals stand out in -20 degree weather without eating for weeks in the winter and in the end are ripped apart, while alive, by wolves, coyotes, cars, trains, falls down cliffs....... yes, much suffering in the wild and it happens.

I personally would avoid elk hunting with a 6.5 for elk. When I am looking through my scope at a big heavy bull at "whatever" range, I want to know that if I hit the elk in the hip or shoulder that the bullet has enough energy to shatter it and really mess that elk up so I can finish it off and it doesn't just run 4 miles across 3 ridge lines in 8 minutes to never be seen again.

This video is real. A real elk hunt. From the comments, many of you have never been on a real elk hunt. ---- does happen. It appears the hunter took his time and his first round hit, this is good..... After the elk is moving, follow up shots can be more difficult. If you are tracking through your scope the whole time to not lose track of the elk it is easy to not get a good range/angle/wind call because you don't have the field of view. Did the elk move to 650 from the 600 original yards, is it less down hill, is the wind blocked by the terrain more...... I wonder how many of you have hunted elk more than a couple times and if you ever have without a guide? At least the ones that are most critical on this forum. Anyone that has hunted elk for years and pulled the trigger on one 10 -20 time has seen the same ---- that is in this video, but it happened to them. Probably with a 7mm/.300 magnum though, because anyone that hunts elk regularly in the rocky mountains will most likely be using one of those two rifles or bigger.

CONGRATS JACOB! Nice Elk! Way to stick with it and make sure it didn't run off and die needlessly somewhere to never be seen again. Great ending to a good hunt. Sorry for YOUR suffering while packing that monster out. I'd suggest using a little more gun next time.

It doesn't matter the game. Replace elk with anything. Unlike wolves, the animal, not democrats, we have the tools to cleanly dispatch an animal. I've never been on an elk hunt, but I've seen poor shots on different game.

If you suck, you suck. People in this world are so prideful that instead of doing thoughtful analysis on what they screwed up and how to make it better they post crappy YouTube videos with "good job brah." No, not good job. You suck. There was a kid there too, who is learning how to suck. I like to think we've elevated ourselves above wolves and can prevent needless suffering.

The shot hit the brisket and the off side leg, the caliber was fine. One more minute of elevation and it dies right there. All of this whining from people on this site isn't supposed to be allowed. It was a very successful hunt and nobody has a right to judge someone else's choices.
He's packing the on side leg, looks like he hit the ball joint or just above it, like you said though even a few inches up or back and he would have been a rock star!

More energy in the wrong spot....i just cant agree. Seen other wise. I use lapuas, ultras and creedmoors. And i know a leg shot with any of them is in the wrong "margin".

Go back and watch the video again. That was a perfect broadside. A more powerful cartridge and larger bullet would have put that bull down on the first shot. The shot was not a great shot but it could have been a quick kill with a larger, more powerful cartridge. With more power that bullet would have broke the leg/shoulder on the far side and that bull is down. That's why you bring more to the game than the minimum needed for the perfect shot. You can kill a Grizzly with a 22, it's been done

Last edited:
"I like to think we've elevated ourselves above wolves and can prevent needless suffering."

Well there you have it, no more black powder or bow hunting because we need to elevate ourselves because of too much needless suffering. I wonder how much suffering the elk in this video would have had to endure if it lived out its life untouched by human hunters. Starvation, freezing to death, hit by car, ran down by a pack of wolves...... yeah, whatever you say your elevated above wolveness.

Go back and watch the video again. That was a perfect broadside. A more powerful cartridge and larger bullet would have put that bull down on the first shot. The shot was not a great shot but it could have been a quick kill with a larger, more powerful cartridge. With more power that bullet would have broke the leg/shoulder on the far side and that bull is down. That's why you bring more to the game then the minimum needed for the perfect shot. You can kill a Grizzly with a 22, it's been done
The way the leg broke is a low leg and into the briscut hit. Not a shoulder shot. The elk woulda died.....just not quick enough for me. Bad hit.

"I like to think we've elevated ourselves above wolves and can prevent needless suffering."

Well there you have it, no more black powder or bow hunting because we need to elevate ourselves because of too much needless suffering. I wonder how much suffering the elk in this video would have had to endure if it lived out its life untouched by human hunters. Starvation, freezing to death, hit by car, ran down by a pack of wolves...... yeah, whatever you say your elevated above wolveness.

**** bro that wasn't a negative towards you.

Who ****ed in your Wheaties?

Have fun killing or whatever it is you do.

Its called ethics. Archers and blackpowder hunters who practice can be ethical.

I do know for a FACT my 6.5 Creedmoor is 100% deadly on (non-steel) targets at long range! IF I were hunting. I use a different rifle and caliber - one that will take the animal down with one shot, and at maybe 400Yds max.

Yes, 90% of the issue with this was operator error. The rest was his choice of cartridge. Is the CM accurate to 600 yards, yes in the right hands. Does it have enough energy to drop a Bull at 600 yards, maybe in the right hands with a well placed round. Would I take that shot, HELL NO!

One thing I am not seeing any comments about is the fact the Bull was standing with the horizon in the back ground, that is a shot that should never be taken. Where was that bullet going if he missed the first shot? One to the things I push in hunter safety classes, if there isn't something behind the animal, DON'T TAKE THE SHOT!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts