How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

so if i shoot a giant elk in the back leg with my 6.5 CM, it's because the CM is ****** round? the guy obviously had no business shooting at that range with what looked to be a bone stock rifle he just got off the shelf at cabelas.

I read through to page 6 or so and had to quit. Gee whiz guys, while there appeared to be a number of choices that weren't much to be proud of, it's pretty easy to criticize. I'll be clicking off number 68 in a few months and I have admit, I've made a few shot choices (bow and gun) I wasn't very proud of during my 40 plus years of hunting. We all blow it sometimes, the key is learning from your mistakes and continually reminding yourself of the "what-ifs". Respecting the animals we pursue with good ethics and sound choices should be our minimum effort.
PS: Also, as some have mentioned, it's not safe to and never "ok just this once" to shoot at a sky-lined or silhouetted animal. No matter what! If that's the only shot you have, you have no shot!

.......Remember camera angles change a whole lot of things, I like it when we have a shooter view as well as camera man. I've seen some ghetto stuff from the camera angle that was plumb good from the shooter position......

My favorite lately is played in reverse firefighters tossing people into the fire.

I read through to page 6 or so and had to quit. Gee whiz guys, while there appeared to be a number of choices that weren't much to be proud of, it's pretty easy to criticize. I'll be clicking off number 68 in a few months and I have admit, I've made a few shot choices (bow and gun) I wasn't very proud of during my 40 plus years of hunting. We all blow it sometimes, the key is learning from your mistakes and continually reminding yourself of the "what-ifs". Respecting the animals we pursue with good ethics and sound choices should be our minimum effort.
PS: Also, as some have mentioned, it's not safe to and never "ok just this once" to shoot at a sky-lined or silhouetted animal. No matter what! If that's the only shot you have, you have no shot!

Sure, But most of us don't go post our stupidy on youtube for the world to see.

I can't believe a guy posted his crappy hunt on YouTube, and I can't believe people are defending him. He doesn't know how to shoot. It's that simple. He posted the evidence. There's no defending it. It's as simple as that. Five rounds from the creedmoor (2 misses, 3 if you count his first low/forward shot) and then a shot from a pistol.

I see guys get bashed on this forum for group sizes not being true .25 MOA or taking 10 shots to hit steel at extreme long range shooting, but this clown shoots at a living creature, posts it on YouTube, and now we are all associated with him, but hey great hunt, dead bull.

I'm not the best shot. I've posted that I've missed game and I've lost game but I don't post it on YouTube. It's not about the 6.5CM it's about this guy not being prepared. It's about a video on social media that is representing us all.

And yes it's very, very easy to criticize when you post it for all to see. I wasn't there, but one thing I know from watching this video is to bring enough gun, get close, and practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe a guy posted his crappy hunt on YouTube, and I can't believe people are defending him. He doesn't know how to shoot. He posted the evidence. It's as simple as that. Five rounds from the creedmoor (2 misses, 3 if you count his low/forward shot) and then a shot from a pistol.

I see guys get bashed on this forum for group sizes not being true .25 MOA or taking 10 shots to hit steel at extreme long range shooting, but this clown shoots at a living creature, posts it on YouTube, and now we are all associated with him. But hey great hunt, dead bull.

I'm not the best shot. I've posted that I've missed game and I've lost game but I don't post it on YouTube. It's not about the 6.5CM it's about this guy not being prepared. It's about a video on social media that is representing us all.
Exactly!!!

so if i shoot a giant elk in the back leg with my 6.5 CM, it's because the CM is ------ round? the guy obviously had no business shooting at that range with what looked to be a bone stock rifle he just got off the shelf at cabelas.

I have a few 3/4 moa or better off the shelf guns that kill easy @ that range. Thats not the issue.....its the fact he cant even hit hair 50% of the time let alone the vitals...

And now ive learned today near hits are ok if its with a much bigger gun.....because that makes up for slop shooting somehow..

The shot hit the brisket and the off side leg, the caliber was fine. One more minute of elevation and it dies right there. All of this whining from people on this site isn't supposed to be allowed. It was a very successful hunt and nobody has a right to judge someone else's choices.

I believe that in fact we not only have the right to judge but the duty! He put out for the world to see when it should have been hidden away forever. This ended with a good outcome but could have just as easily gone the other way. Had this been posted as a 'what not to do" it still would have raised the hackles of any ethical hunter. This video should have only included a shot of the dead elk and the happy hunter. Video like this paints all of us with the same brush, not just that one "hunter." Personally, I take exception to being included in that portrait!
Cheers,
crkckr

All I was thinking when watching that was I cant believe this guy would put the whole thing out there for the world to see. I'm not gonna enter the debate about his choice of cartridge or his shooting ability, just cant believe he would put that up without editing out a whole bunch that made him look way bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.