How nonsense becomes fact.

The amateur reloader should definitely stay to the book until they good a really good grasp on this stuff.

Agreed! I think most reloading manuals (at least the ones I have) do a very good job of explaining pressure signs. They should take their time and enjoy the learning process.

It is important to be able to synthesize the information being presented.

Agreed! I think most reloading manuals (at least the ones I have) do a very good job of explaining pressure signs. They should take their time and enjoy the learning process.
Well said. I think some issues encountered have more to do with not reading the first section of manuals, just jump in.
That said, it took me yrs to understand and determine pressures, especially with new brass, headspace, flat primers, ejector marks all associated with new case growth.
Tack on the oversize firing pin holes of Rem 700's, who hasn't been perplexed by that?

Have you considered writing a loading manual and letting the rest of us know just how to determine pressure? And the tools needed.
Have you contacted Shootingtimes.com and expressed your concern over this writer giving what you consider unsafe information to the public?
Modern actions and barrels can handle WAY more than saami max pressures. The brass becomes the weak link in the equation. What pressures do to the brass has and always will be the common sense determination of acceptable pressures. And yes, on around the 3rd firing of your brass, the fired primer itself can be an indicator of over pressures.
I am pretty sure the bulk of us could afford some form of pressure trace equipment. Most of us feel it is not needed, we inspect, re-inspect, measure, etc.. our fired brass to determine if the load can be fired safely in all conditions. I bet more than a few of us have been bit on a hot summer day, or a rainy day where what we thought was safe turned out to be over the limit.
Reloading has and always will be for most people a common sense way to fire rds in firearms, even though reading about PO Ackley and Elmer Keith's journeys may make one think otherwise.
People still manage to electrocute themselves today, guys will blow guns up, hammer bolt handles off. The CAUTION sign has always been hung when it comes to reloading.
So, either write up a solution in detail or move on.
Reloading will always be a continuous ongoing learning experience.

Well said! I am sucker with comes to safety as there is no substitute. I am one of those peeps that wear PPEs using power tools or when mowing (eye and ear protection, gloves, boots, the works). 😇

Agreed! I am a continuous learner and enjoy the learning process.

Cheers!

Ed

It is actually very simple, When/if you start seeing ejector marks or and shinny places on the case head, or smashed primers, you have gone to far and should immediately back off on you load By one grain if no other changes are made. Each rifle is different and reading the brass although used frequently should be avoided because it is just an interpretation and not very accurate .

J E CUSTOM
This is confusing to me, the first sentence seems to imply it is very simple to read brass And explains how to do it, while the second clearly says reading brass should be avoided because it is not very accurate.

I'm saying it's not a pressure measurement, and cannot be substituted for.

Looking at the primer and feeling the bolt is not a pressure measurement.

It does not tell you what the pressure is.

Feeling the recoil is a pressure sign. Why not gut feel also ?
I have a rifle that has extremely hard bolt lift with a commercial Hornady load.

Is that load safe because it's a commercial load? I have always avoided it because conventional pressure jargon says that that is a pressure sign. Though I'm sure Hornady has a lot fancier pressure testing equipment than I do.

The ONLY "brass reading" that made ANY sense was that explained in Pet Loads by Ken Waters. If you are to the point of hard bolt lofts and swipes, you already beyond prudent.

The part I don't get is, is that are millions of safe loads out there for almost every combination (no Bullseye loads for 300 PRC are not), so why all this "Working up loads BS" ?

As someone pointed out, this thread may be in contention with the match bullet one for the biggest waste of bandwidth on this forum.

1. Buy several good loading books.
2. Buy a chronograph
3. RTFI
4. Seek accuracy not velocity.

Pressure trace cost about $600 if you want actual pressure readings, but there is a considerable learning curve. Typical 50mg post in my eyes. As far as the "nonsense " part, if you've ever read a reloading manual (not just the reload data part) it clearly shows (even with pics) what swipes, and primers look like with high pressure, also explains hard bolt lift. Reload powder data is available online, but reloading manuals typically arent- you gotta buy those- and read them.
I like the reload data that actually has the pressure listed (as many reload data books now never hit max pressure) . Reload data books also list velocities yet not everyone has a chronograph.
You can flip a screwdriver over and use the butt as a hammer, but a balpeen hammer cant unscrew a screw

According to Hodgdon you test to see if a load is overpressure or get a fair approximation if overpressure by measuring the case head expansion. You obviously can't go by the book due to variations in powders, bullets, and casings from lot to lot. Then you have variations from throat length, chamber dimensions, and the dimensions of the bore itself. All these factors relegate reloading manuals to guides. For the record I don't work up to ejector swipes and pierced primers. I'm pushing a 195 TMK from a 20 inch barrel at 2560. No pressure signs and win brass is still good on the 5th firing. This load is well over sierras max but gives me no pressure signs whatsoever.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.