When reloading becomes the best option

I can usually cluster 5 shots into 30-40mm over 300 metres using Winchester 69gr with Sierra HPBT which I buy from my range shop for $22 a box.

So as for accuracy the shop bought ammo is as good as my concentration and technique at the moment, I was thinking that it would save me some money...

Shoot a Weatherby. I've got 7 loadings on my original cases, so far.

Factory ammo, when I bought 1 box 2 years ago, was $78 for 20.

I reload for several reasons.

1. It's a lot of fun. I really enjoy the process of reloading beginning with selecting the bullet to match the game/location through to analyzing the data after a range session.
  2. I break even or maybe get a bit ahead on cost. I shoot 2,000 to 3,000 rounds of centerfire ammo a year split about 50-50 between handgun ammo and rifle ammo.
  3. I really like being able to pick the bullet I want to shoot and optimize the load for it to match my rifle.
That said, folks shooting the real high power long range ammo (lots of folks on this forum) like .300RUM, .338RUM, .338 Lapua, .338 Edge, 7mmSTW, etc. can save a bunch of money reloading. That ammo runs about four bux a bang at the local store. It doesn't take any more equipment to reload that ammo than it does .22 Hornet, but the savings are a lot more. Reloading will save money, payback to breakeven can happen in as little as 400 rounds, and result in better accuracy to boot.

So the answer to the question depends on the individual's idea of fun, and the cartridge to be reloaded.

Fitch

I am in the same boat right now. I just bought a new rifle and I want to become proficient with it. With the two rifles I sold to buy my new one I would just sight them in at 100 yds and call it good. I really want to get out and shoot every month from varying distances. I bought one box of ammo for $31, and everyone always says to shoot different types of factory stuff to see what your gun likes. The next brand I wanted to try was $45 a box. . . OUCH! Right now I am not shooting at all because I am researching reloading, and don't want to sink anymore money into factory ammo if I am going to make the switch. I have been guilty of making impulse buys in the past so I made up a spreadsheet comparing the cost of equipment (not the hight end stuff) to just buying factory ammo. I figured that after buying 7 to 8 boxes of factory I could have payed for the basic stuff to start reloading, and from then on I would be paying $8 to $15 bucks for a box of shells instead of $30 to $50. If I really wanted to save money I could just say my rifle is sighted in for shots under 300 yds and from now on I will only shoot factory ammo at game at those ranges. It seems worth the extra money for me because if I start reloading I will shoot a lot more and will hopefully become a better shot which will make me a better hunter. Plus it seems like the reloading and testing ammo will be fun.

both 458win and winmag make good points as well as many others. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. It all depends on what your criteria is.

For me I'm not going to reload 223's factory ammo's cheap, could care less about accuracy and don't shoot them very often. On the otherhand a 338AX there is no factory option to buy, accuracy is important so reloading it is. My 30-06 used to reload for it but, rarely shoot it anymore and if I do it's for fun, accuracy not that important so I'll buy a box, shoot it and probably not shoot it again for several years. But that's me and for me it works. For someone else who's criteria is different then reloading 223's and 30-06's may make sense.

Some don't like to reload and rarely if ever do and have fun, some love it and reload for everything and have fun.

Either way have fun. Figure out what works for you and that will be the right answer for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.