how much moa for 1500+ yards

uzi 4 u

Ive got a 338 lapua with a 20moa base. Ive got several optics picked out I like but Im trying to figure out how much moa it needs to have to get to 1500+ yards. I was looking at a nightforce BR but it only has 50 moa and im not sure that will be enuff. Only bench shooting this rifle.
Thanks for any help

First of all what bullets are you going to use and at what velocity? Where are you located as far as altitude? Once you know all of this than you can load that info into a ballistic calculator, and it will give you a close estimation as to what you are going to need for a scope to reach your desired distance. Just from looking at my corrections for my Lapua with a 300gr SMK at 1500 yards I would need around 45.5 MOA at an altitude of 900 ft above sea level. If you go with the Nightforce NXS scope the 5.5-22x50 or 56 will give you 100 MOA of elevation adjustments. Sightron SIII and the Vortex are good scopes as well and would get you to your desired distance. I hope this helps you out and I'm sure others will chime in as well...

If you go with an np r1 or similar you could get half your elevation out of the reticle, if you really want to use the BR.

If you go with an np r1 or similar you could get half your elevation out of the reticle, if you really want to use the BR.
Im not dead set on a BR its just whats in my price range as of rite now. I like everything about the swfa scopes except there only in a 50mm and only go to a 20 power objective.

Ive got a 338 lapua with a 20moa base. Ive got several optics picked out I like but Im trying to figure out how much moa it needs to have to get to 1500+ yards. I was looking at a nightforce BR but it only has 50 moa and im not sure that will be enuff. Only bench shooting this rifle.
Thanks for any help

My ballistic program says 59.4 MOA for a potent load in 338 Lapua. So you should be ok using a 20 MOA base.

338 LM , 300 gr Berger, 2800 Muzzle Vel. 4000 ft alt. 25 degrese temperautue. 1500 yards takes 46.4 moa.

Jeff
What is your zero on that load? The one I posted above was for a 200 yard zero.

250 gr. Accubond
3005 fps
Sea Level

Wonder if the BC of the Berger makes up the difference in drop?

What is your zero on that load? The one I posted above was for a 200 yard zero.

250 gr. Accubond
3005 fps
Sea Level

Wonder if the BC of the Berger makes up the difference in drop?

200 yard zero. If I put in an absolute Baro of 29.92 for sealevel I get 52 moa.

Jeff

There have been a couple of drops tossed out there for the OP. From those numbers all you need to do is look at several scopes and check the specs to see what that particular scope you are looking at has in vertical adjustments. Once you know that then the next step would be to see if the scopes you found will work for your needs and are affordable and have the options you are looking for. I would like to add that it is important not to rush into buying a scope right away. If you have to save up until you can afford the one you want, you will probably be happier and not feel as though you had to compromise quality for affordability. Uzi 4 u what bullet do you plan on shooting out of your Lapua? What rifle do you have?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.