How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee, WY?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I like deer hunting the Big Horns of WY but have learned that many years the deer may be down from the 9,000 foot areas by the time the October 15 rifle season starts. So I'm looking for a backup plan in Region Y.

I have looked at BLM maps and Google Earth and have a fair idea of what's there but can't really tell how many of the roads are legal for access.

Either legal to cross private land in the area on the way to public land or legal to gain deeper access once on public land.

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

Anybody?

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

I'm waiting for WY G&F to call me back, called them yesterday. The biologist was out doing surveys in the south area of Y. I'm going down that way this year as long as report is good. I'll let ya know what he says about your question and surveys.

Gene

Len, I hunted there this past season. There is a road that goes straight west from Kaycee, (hiway) then a rural access road that splits as it goes up into the mountains. The lower part that heads north is a county road, but goes into 2 or 3 large ranches that do guide. I talked to one of the hands there and we had a nice visit. But he was worn out with treaspassers. I had my garmin and the publics land maps and if I remember right the spots I was trying to get to were non-accessable as you needed private accessto get to them.

Now the road that went up and switchbacked pretty much west did have some access. In fact I am sure it does as there were many hunting camps down low in the foot hills. We didn't hunt there but we did go up and look at the scenery. I don't remember exact details but I am sure there is access there.

Jeff

Just saw this and hopes this helps a little. Hwy 191 goes northwest out of Kaycee and all the way up to Mayoworth, which is right on the boundary of units 30 and 33. Mayoworth Road goes west out of there and then heads north. Where it heads north is the junction of Slip Road and it goes way west all the way over to Hazelton Road, which is the boundary of the Region Y units down there. Slip Road does hit some BLM all along it, but there is less and less as you go west. The area I would probably concentrate on is down to the south of there quite a ways. If you go out of Kaycee the same way you take Hwy 190 southwest over to Barnum. It goes through several chunks of state or BLM on the way on either side of the road. Brock Road goes north off the highway about 5 miles before Barnum and hits some BLM as does Barnum Road going out of Barnum. The area I would go to is a ways southwest of Barnum down in the area around and in the Taylor Big Game Winter Range. To get to it you go just west out of Barnum a little ways and take the Bar C Road south for about 4-5 miles. Just as it starts petering out you will hit BLM Road 6217 that goes southwest down into a lot of BLM and state land and it's all in unit 163. That area has so much accessible public land that it would take years to hunt it all.

Some years back, My buddy and I hunted a wildlife area in the mountains west of Kaycee. We drove a blacktop road out of town and then took a 4wd access road to the wildlife area. It was an exciting drive of 6 miles. We took a couple smaller bucks. A fish and game guy gave us directions but it was at least 10 or more years ago and I don't remember so well. It should be on map. There was a trout stream there also.

That is more than likely the area I mentioned how to get to in my post!

I just got back from Kaycee this noon. I understand where you mean. I was able to get to part of it. Looks good. It'll be a good backup plan. I may have some more questions later this year.

Thanks for the help!!

I just got back from Kaycee this noon. I understand where you mean. I was able to get to part of it. Looks good. It'll be a good backup plan. I may have some more questions later this year.

Thanks for the help!!
Len,
When you were up in there did ya see any antelope? I spoke to the F& G guy and he said deer numbers were down and that they would be more than likely adjusting for this. He also said be prepared for atv traffic. I haven't been on public land in wy for awhile now. So, I'm not sure what degree this PIA will be?

Gene R.

Broz and others gave you a pretty good description of the area . I am also sorry to tell you that maost of the ranchers in that area have less of a clue as to the boundaries then you or I. When hunting this area you absolutely need a GPS with State maps. So when they call the law on you you can prove your innocence! I live in the general area and the people who own or manage these tracks of land no longer seem to care or understand about state land or their land.the slip road outta mayoworth does have good access for quite a distance though. If it snows early its a tricky ride.

Gene, yes, I saw a good number of antelope.

James, I always carry a gps with those maps. In fact I sell the maps.

Len,
Thats good to hear. Hunting Buddy and I are going for a couple weeks maybe more never know. So, we can be alittle picky then? May not have the extra time for picky w/ antlered deer though if the season is only 7 days as the G&F fella said. Might try to talk buddy into going out this Summer scouting, who knows.

Thanks,
Gene

Am I correct that the Ed Taylor is 163 Mule Deer and 20 Antelope?

And yes, 163 MD does indeed have only a one week length this year. I assume that will make it into quite a rodeo.

It's in deer unit 163 and antelope unit 21. Unit 163 is open for antlered mule deer or any whitetail from 10/15-10/21 and Unit 21 is only open from 10/15-10/31, which is a pretty short season for antelope. Unit 20 for antelope is north of there and the boundary is CR 190 (Barnum Road).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.