Public land western whitetail hunts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by paulatherton21, May 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. paulatherton21

paulatherton21 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Hey guys... after a year with no tags drawn out west im trying to put together some western whitetail hunts on public land to fill the void. My passion is whitetails so I want to target them. Last year i killed two respectable whitetails in Nebraska. While Nebraska is still an option im looking for two other states i can hunt. I was thinking about trying region a in wyoming ... probably units 1 or 4... or possibly unit 41 on the foothills of the bighorns... also i have been looking into Idaho... does anyone have any suggestions on other states or any input on these states? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Wyoming deadline is coming up quick. Thanks guys

2. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

My only input is to research success percentages in the areas you intend to hunt. I have hunted public access areas in MT where I did pretty well. I have also hunted public access areas in WY where there was WAY too much hunting pressure for the game available and it was a waste of time, game was all pushed off to private property by noon opening day.

3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

The Black Hills in WY hold decent numbers. Not what they did 8-10 yrs ago, but still a good place to go hunt and find a decent buck with a little work. Blue tongue and Mtn Lions have made a noticeable dent......
    Bruce

paulatherton21 likes this.
  4. Backcountry_IDN

Backcountry_IDN Well-Known Member

North Idaho, also 51, 37, 37a hold good whiteys

5. Backcountry_IDN

Backcountry_IDN Well-Known Member

All otc tags. Buy a wolf tag as well

6. paulatherton21

paulatherton21 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

What units are best for long range shots?