Public land western whitetail hunts

paulatherton21

Hey guys... after a year with no tags drawn out west im trying to put together some western whitetail hunts on public land to fill the void. My passion is whitetails so I want to target them. Last year i killed two respectable whitetails in Nebraska. While Nebraska is still an option im looking for two other states i can hunt. I was thinking about trying region a in wyoming ... probably units 1 or 4... or possibly unit 41 on the foothills of the bighorns... also i have been looking into Idaho... does anyone have any suggestions on other states or any input on these states? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Wyoming deadline is coming up quick. Thanks guys

My only input is to research success percentages in the areas you intend to hunt. I have hunted public access areas in MT where I did pretty well. I have also hunted public access areas in WY where there was WAY too much hunting pressure for the game available and it was a waste of time, game was all pushed off to private property by noon opening day.

The Black Hills in WY hold decent numbers. Not what they did 8-10 yrs ago, but still a good place to go hunt and find a decent buck with a little work. Blue tongue and Mtn Lions have made a noticeable dent......
Bruce

Although I have had good luck on with Whitetails in Oregon, I have generally hunted them on private ranchlands where I grew up. If I were looking for public land whitetail I would head to Idaho. Family members do well there, and I have seen some dandys!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.