How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
In the range of $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 including start to finish, all top shelf for all of the calibers I enjoy shooting. I love the results of a finely tuned cartridge in an accurate firearm. Results is in the entire process start to finish.

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
If you don't count supplies, I'm not into it that much. RCBS

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 28
Lee four hole turret press, $200.00 plus scales. Forty year old powder dispencer, about twenty sets of dies. Power case de-burr and camfer. $180.00 calipers. Hand held primer seater. Very basic. Been making quality ammo for over40 years.

Easy $7000-$7500 not including components. Just in machinery, die sets & tools. But I do reload for at least 20 different calibers.

If a person was to ask me if was cost effective, I would say no only due to me wanting to make different cartridges do different things. If I was a guy that liked going to the range a punching holes in paper and didn't want this holes to be really close together and or shoot at ranges that normal people would have no desire to try and be consistently making hits at?

Sure, reloading can save you money. But I'm not that guy. I reload to make me happy, love the time spent, great therapy.. can't put a price tag on that.

Also, it does seem.. as you reload more and more, your guns get more and more expensive also.. Happy Easter!

Powder Scale and dispenser
Powdered trimmer and chamfer for bulk loads
Annealer
Press
Manual trimmer
Case prep station
Powder measures for bulk loads
Tumbler (dry)
Tumbler (wet)

That covers everything not caliber related (dies)

So probably conservatively $1500?

My first purchase was a Lee press with dies,manual , primer, balance beam scale and few other parts. I do not remember total exactly sine it was 37 years ago. I know kit part press and few other starter pieces was about 85 bucks new. , Still using that press after cpl repairs,balance beam scale,trickler,, dies and hand primer bought about same time.

I have thought about getting new press, but I am fairly profient with single stage and get great consistency in my loads.Plus the cost of progressive is so high that with cost of powder,primers and projectiles cost as much or more than some loaded stuff it seems no real return on the investment.

We all know you do not save money reloading! You do get to shoot lot more.LOL

Probably more than 10K and each year I find new stuff to improve my arsenal and shooting results.

I can tell you one thing… I wish that over the years I wouldn't have tried to go the cheaper route on some things trying to save money. I wish I would have just purchased better equipment the first time around, because in the end it would have still been expensive, but buying low and upgrading costs a lot more.

I started with used equipment, $200 for about $1200 at an estate sale. I started knowing nothing at all 5 years ago. Added additional equipment as I better understood what I needed, adding about $800 more on dies, etc. what I buy now is very specific to my way of reloading. Suggestion, start cheap and work your way into the process.