How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
I think if you dwell on the cost of it all too long,
You won't want to do it. It can bend your mind!!

How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

About $800 or so. But then, a buddy and I are sharing time on his press and scale. That'd add another ~$650.

Supplies are beyond that, of course. About six different powders; four different bullets; primers; all in quantities sufficient for about 3yrs of shooting.

So, figure a $1500 loading setup, and about $1.25/rd loaded (skipping my time commitment). Which saves about $1/rd. To "pay back" that $1500, I'd need to shoot 1500rds at such a savings compared to factory loaded ammo. Not inexpensive, I suppose, but the equipment can pay for itself with a couple years of shooting. Assuming I'm making "mule" wages of $0/hr for the reloading time. If prices for components continue to come down, the "savings" will be even greater. Yaaaaay!

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
I started in 1970 when I bought an RCBS kit that included a standard press, uniflow powder charge thrower, 5-10 scale, powder trickler and 30-06 dies for $169.00. As I bought more calibers of guns I added more dies 11 more sets to be exact costing anywhere from $34.95 to $55.00.
I later added two more scales that I bought at yard sales or estate sales for less than $50 each.
I got a Mec600 Jr press for reloading 10ga shotgun that cost around $120
A Lee load all in 12ga for $39.95 and one in 20ga for $29.00.

The press started to wear and get sloppy after 25 years of use, I sent it RCBS to see if they could salvage it and they refurbished it for free. All it cost me was shipping. Don't know if they would still do that.

I've added a digital scale for around $95.00 and a set of check weights for another $19.00

I started in 1970 when I bought an RCBS kit that included a standard press, uniflow powder charge thrower, 5-10 scale, powder trickler and 30-06 dies for $169.00. As I bought more calibers of guns I added more dies 11 more sets to be exact costing anywhere from $34.95 to $55.00.
I later added two more scales that I bought at yard sales or estate sales for less than $50 each.
I got a Mec600 Jr press for reloading 10ga shotgun that cost around $120
A Lee load all in 12ga for $39.95 and one in 20ga for $29.00.

The press started to wear and get sloppy after 25 years of use, I sent it RCBS to see if they could salvage it and they refurbished it for free. All it cost me was shipping. Don't know if they would still do that.

I've added a digital scale for around $95.00 and a set of check weights for another $19.00

Man, Edith Bunker was right. Those were the days. 😊

My philosophy has always been, "If I have to ask how much, I can't afford it. Fortunately, life has been better than I ever hoped to deserve, and I have no adult supervision in my life. No questions needed. Although, I'd give everything I've ever been blessed with or ever might have to have my adult supervision back for just one more day. The priceless treasures cannot be bought, they are gifts, even if sometimes only for a while.

Started in highschool, still use a couple rockchuckers , same rcbs scale, manual Case trimmer, and powder throw.
Once in awhile might buy extra dies , never know when your new invention case remover will fail.
This old stuff still works fine and I couldn't even guess the original price.
But like some , I handload to know that I have taken away the
Thought of bad ammo ,out of the equation when shooting or hunting.

I must be a real cheapskate, I bought most of my equipment, except my 223 dies, second hand in fact the only new items I bought was a lee perfect powder measure and lee hand primer so including that and one new set of dies I reckon I'm in for about $150 equivalent, that covers a used lee 4 station press with 4 spare die holders, 3 sets of 4 dies which include the 308 and 223 neck size die, an RCBS balance. I also acquired lee trimming tools and I have both a large capacity micrometer and a digital vernier calliper as part of my own tool set.
To reload 50 cartridges takes me a couple of hours, they shoot accurate enough for me and I do it as and when I need ammo.

At age 14 (1967) I think that I paid a hard earned $9.95 for a Lee Loader for a .308 Win.

I have no idea what I paid for my first press, a Lyman All American Turret press somewhere around 1971 or '72! Some of my dies, my Ideal Powder Measure and much of my early bullet casting supplies came from yard sales.
;);) I started with one of those at my buddies house. Nothing like a couple kids beating on reloading components with a hammer! LOL Try to remember you paid for the loader in about 3hrs of basic hourly wages! Now the cheapest Lee kit with a set of dies would take you 10hrs work......Ugh The good old days are good for many many different reasons. Keep on keeping on brother!!😊😊

I'm guessing under $500. I only have 4 calibers. My single stage came used with everything I needed to start out for a hondo. Extra scales, case prep tools, and measuring tools is probably my only real costs after dies. DIY anealer was just some electrical wire and parts around the house. I'm a low volume shooter and only train for big game when I can't get an archery tag.

Ok, who's wife on here put you up to this? 🤔 Cheer's A lot! 😉

Recent Posts