How many MOA needed?

Alucard

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a better long range scope for my 300 Ultra. How much internal MOA adjustments are needed to get out to around 1500 yards or so? Maybe even as far as 2000 yards? I use mostly 220 SMK for long range. I have a Ken Ferral 20 MOA base also. Thanks.

I am not sure on how many moa you will need, but with the 20moa base and a good scope (Leupold, S&B, Nightforce, USO) you will have enough.

A -- email Rob01 thru the board and as what his 1650yd dope was with a 300win and 210's at almos 3000fps.

that ought to get you in the ball park with a rum and 220s to a mile

most in that class will get to a mile in 60-70MOA

a NXS 5-22 with a 30-40MOA base would be your best bet for clicking to 2k.

BTW -- i can easily spot hits from a 308 at 1 mile on 8x in my 22nxs so the power is sifficient unless you are shooting little critters.

YMMV,
JB

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious as to what type of target you are shooting so as to see 308 hits at 1 mile on 8x.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael -- guess i should have said "had no trouble seeing my misses" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a little 6-8" round poof of dirt was enough to see easily.

HAD to turn the nxs down that low to be able to hold high enough!! ~120MOA!!

I could easily see hits though on white steel at 1900yds thru the humid haze -- had it been clear, the swaro spotter would have really amazed me!

I could also see my hit at 1400yds with my 308 on orange painted steel -- about a 3/4" circle of bare steel with the 22nxs.

Thanks for the info guys.

I just ran some figuers in a ballistics program. Here is what I came up with:

300 RUM 26" barrel
230 grain ULD Wildcat bullet
@2800 FPS
at 1500 yards drop is @780 inches so that translates into @52 MOA of adjustments.

Is that close or way off? If it is close, then would a scope with 65 MOA be sufficient to that range? Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts