How many layers of merino wool?

Sitka used to have a super lightweight windshirt that is great for walking. I don't think they still make it, but I picked up mine cheap on ebay. Put a lite merino under it and all set until you get to glassing. Then heavy merino, med fleece, and puffy come on with a shell. I have recently fell in love with puffy vests too.

I literally can hike in a t-shirt in the snow. I see these guys on youtube in full gore. I can't do it.

I swear by the kuiu approach and gear for anything south of arctic circle. Base layer of merino, their 125 is great. Then an insulating layer, check out their quix down, unbelievably light, insulating and water resistant. Cover it all with a waterproof breathable outer layer with hood. Wool insulating layers are too heavy in my opinion, but great for next to skin base layer. For alaska, guides will tell you to leave the goretex/breathable gear at home and bring helly hansen imperatex, but that's because it's always raining there.

I hunt all winter and layering is a big issue since I tend to snow shoe a bit, which is suck level 8-9 most of the time. I prefer a light long john bottom and top, a light to mid weight base for the top. So 2 layers max. For outwear pants I run first lite merino light pant. My layer is then a light puffy vest, and light puffy coat, and if needed a medium puffy coat. Those puffies have a synthetic down that is unreal for warmth. If you plan to sit and glass a lot you can pack a puffy blanket, weigh about 6 ounces, but generally you'll have light rain gear that works very well keeping the wind off.

Yeah I think I will carry the heavy weight in backpack just in case also. I'm getting the full zip off style pants and my hunting pants are also full zip so switching will be easier without changing boot exspecially in snow conditions
I live and hunt in MT and am familiar with cold weather and deep snow. A few years ago I tried some merino wool base layers and agree that they can be a little warm for hiking straight up a steep ridge and then trying to sit for any length of time. If you can, wear a light layer for hiking and then some quality overlayers stuffed in your pack. I carry a puffy jacket and a waterproof, insulated pad for my butt whenever I sit. If it is cold enough for body parts to fall off I set up a very small, relatively lightweight ground blind and then hike to it for sitting in the morning and evening.

I love merino wool that is light to mid weight and also use Keen's fitted merino wool socks - mid or heavy weight depending on the weather. I start with a UA shirtsleeve oversized compression shirt then my long sleeve merino wool zip up mock or t-neck shirt. LLB's wind stopper fleece vest and goretex mid or heavy weight hoody. Fleece neck warmer. I pack an extra pair of socks, merino wool long sleeve.
For bottom wear, 3/4 length or stirrup merino wool light to mid weight underwear. Then light to mid weight zip off bibs. Bibs, IMO, are much better than pants.
Goretex gloves and cap plus a windstopper stocking cap.
good hunting!

You said in one of your posts you'd be sleeping on a cot. You will need an insulation layer between you and the cot, as cold will come up through the cot like nobody's business. A light foam sleeping pad will suffice, but don't forget it.

You said in one of your posts you'd be sleeping on a cot. You will need an insulation layer between you and the cot, as cold will come up through the cot like nobody's business. A light foam sleeping pad will suffice, but don't forget it.
Thanks I bought klymit sleeping pads

What robs the heat from your body in most cases when sitting to spot game is the wind. Pack good Goretex rain gear and use it when sedentary and cover your head and neck area. Just another thought based on what I do.
Have to 100% agree and re-state this. I can get away with my light to mid weight merino base layer, and a minimal insulating layer if I just use a wind layer over the top. Quality beanie, socks, and gloves also are major factors.

I am a huge First Lite base layer proponent, everything else is a mix, but their merino base layers are the best I have tried, and I have tried nearly all other brands including socks and liner gloves.

For cold weather I start with merino tops and bottoms, and boxers. .On that I use a fleece,, wool, or puffy vest.. the most important find I made was king of the wool and sleeping Indian wools I'll never go back to the synthetics sold by other "high end" companies. I have been snowed on, rained on, freeing rain you name it, and these wool pants and jackets keep you warm through it all. It's expensive but definitely the best I've ever worn for harsh weather.

Some incredible products on market now - and used to layer up skiing - and need some kind of shell if the wind is piercing thru. Also - need easy stuff - outer layer to shed/put back on if humping it and get get hot and then sit and get cold.

Merino wool always good.