How many layers of merino wool?

Lrreloader

How many layers of Marino wool are needed for a second season elk hunt in Colorado? Micro, base, mid, expedition?

I'm thinking base plus good hunting clothes for walking, once sitting to glass or still hunt thats where I need advice, is a midweight good enough if you have "puffy" clothes for on top of good quality outerlayer clothes?

I have scent blocker polar weight, I call it the black fuzzy suit but that's not ideal to pack or put on and off, I like the idea of zip of and 3/4 length so I don't have to mess with socks unless switching out wet or to a warmer sock for a long sit.

So is midweight adequate or should I get expedition weight and maby not need puffy as often or if it get crazy cold I think I would be good with base, expedition, good hunting clothes, puffy exterior.

Thanks for any advice

It depends how much you plan to hike. I have light merino base layers and heavy merino base layers. But the bottoms are the 3/4 length zip off. I'll never have a pair that doesn't zip on or off again. It's so nice just taking them off before the big hikes and slapping them on when you get wherever you're going. The heavy merino top, you can pretty much leave on all the time.

So for late season (November-January)

Heavy Merino Base Layer bottom
Medium Weight Pants (this allows you to keep the bottom base layer on most of the time)
Puffy Pants in the pack and they go on at the glassing knob

Heavy Merino Top
Light Synthetic Puffy
Heavy Down Puffy

This is a legit proven combo and I love it for late season hunts. I don't mess with rain gear because it'll be snowing anyways.

Again thanks for all the advice, I have really only hunted once out west and it was mostly long range hunting, and a few bear trips in Maine. In Pennsylvania for the most part if it gets that terrible we go back to truck or head for ground blinds haha, won't have that choice out west and I plan on hunting as much as possible in any weather

So you find a light base layer a good outerlayer and then puffy is the most you need?
Good question. I probably could make that work but typically, no, I have one other mid weight layer on top of my base layer. I think body type and fitness plays into it as well. I have no problem staying warm as long as I am moving, but when sitting I need all the help I can get.

Good question. I probably could make that work but typically, no, I have one other mid weight layer on top of my base layer. I think body type and fitness plays into it as well. I have no problem staying warm as long as I am moving, but when sitting I need all the help I can get.
Same here

So, I'm also from PA. Hunted Colorado 2nd rifle two years ago for the first time. We got like 3' of snow, snowed most of the trip. Was also my first real experience with merino. I had thin base layers, then a long sleeve top and hoodie (both merino). Pants over base layer were fleece lined nylon. I was warm enough with that, but we didn't sit a lot. Next time I will bring puffy shell though, just to extend sit times. It snowed for days straight when we were there, so sitting really wasn't productive for to lack of visibility.

I'm a believer in merino now, great stuff for active hunting and I use it in PA as well now. Still, for sitting, I'd bring a warmer lightweight shell. And a good insulated pad, try not to lose great wherever you can. Good warm hat and gloves will help during the sits. I also had a fleece orange vest, and a pack on my back most of the time (just another layer of insulation). Good luck! Be prepared for rapidly changing weather and conditions (bring layers and some weather protection).

I should also add that we got pushed out of camping due to weather and not being able to get to where we wanted to camp, so we roughed it in a hotel 😂. Only camped one night... My dad was painful cold mid-night. So I'd recommend some good insulation for overnight if you are out in outdoor temperature.

Thanks FrogFire7,

Yeah we are expecting snow if we get any weather, I am going to get a few layers of merino wool like you said still use it back here in pa, will just be less bulky than the normal pile everything and the kitchen sink on like im used to. We have good sleeping pads for on the cots, negative degree rated bags, and we will be in a canvas tent with stove so should be warm enough even if I have to sleep in some baselayers.

I think we will be prepared, I just hate the not knowing how it will be like out there but every hunt will be different then the next due to weather, animal activity, etc.

I have a heavy set of merino wool and I used it once. It was too hot and I found that light layers or poly or silk and a light to medium layer for wool just fine. Add one outer layer of gortex and I was set. I pack the wool with me for emergency situations where I need the extra warmth.

Yeah I think I will carry the heavy weight in backpack just in case also. I'm getting the full zip off style pants and my hunting pants are also full zip so switching will be easier without changing boot exspecially in snow conditions