How heavy are your packs and for how many days do you go out?

sssnake,
That's a huge amount of gear. I could cut off a lot of that weight. But your rifle is a great weight saver.
->My carbon fiber hiking poles have the two Quick siX discs on them just below the handles which mate to make shooting sticks,
->No spotting scope, just 10 x 42 range finding binoculars.
->a 2 lb. Tarptent Moment DW solo tent,
->Deuter Air Contact Lite 4 lb.pack,
->a 15 oz. REI FLASH Insulated air mattress,
->20 F. Western Mountaineering factory overstuffed Megalite bag,
->Trail Designs titanium sheet Calder aCone stove for wood or ESBIT tablets, 3 cup pot, plastic bowl and cup

My rifle is a 6.5PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (6 lbs. 3 oz.) and a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope (28 oz.)
Eric B.

Ok,,, here's the weights of my sleeping system only...
Tent & carbon fiber poles is 2.2 lbs with rain fly and a extra tyvek cover...

Open cell foam at 5.4 lbs

-18 Celsius sleeping bag at 3.2 lbs,,, looks like ill need to modify the open cell foam pad to get the weight under control...

Its to heavy at 10.8 lbs all in,,, my job is to knock off 3.8 lbs,,, dang namit,,, I really don't want to give up on the open cell foam since it's so comfortable and warm...

I know I'm over doing it on the summer time test,,, but I fear letting my guard down if it gets cold at night...

Now the brain storming begins ...

Maybe I can use thinner foam on the bottom that lays on a silver space blanket,,, my air mattress ended up flat on my last outing...

Or fork out the $230 Cnd funds for the RV-6.9 NeoAir pad... they claimed its 1 lb 4 oz...

That would put me just below the 7 lb mark...

Oh boy,,, the challenges of life... Ha

Don

My last trip I was at 52.5lb for a 5 day excursion. That's everything but water. I plan on getting that weight down to 49.3lb with my heavy 300WM and I've got a light(er) weight 6.5-248 in the works that would get me down to 46lb.

Here's my deer hunting packing list, and weights (in ounces)
It includes everything I need to stay out for a week in the mountain West.
45 pounds, including rifle and all the clothes I am wearing. (Doesn't include food, which is an additional 1.6 pounds/day, or water.)

Clothing:
Julbo Venturi sunglasses with Zebra light lenses and cloth bag 1.4
Smartwool Merino boxer briefs (2 pair 2.6 ounces each) 5.6
Firstlite Obsidian pants 22.6
Kuiu Peloton 200 zip-off bottoms 8.5
Orange Icebreaker merino t-shirt 5.5
Orange Patagonia Nano Air light hoodie 11.8
Orange Voormi merino beanie 1.1
Orange Buff 1.3
Orange Cap (LL Bean Technical Upland Cap) 2.2
Zamberlan Lynx Gtx mid height Hunting Boots 64.4
Patagonia Expedition wool socks x2 (7 ounces per pair) 14
DeFeet ET Dura glove 2.2
Dachstein fingerless mittens with fold over cap 5.3
Kennetrek gaiters 5
Patagonia Fitzroy Down Parka (Orange) 21.1
Orange Patagonia M10 Anorak 8
Kuiu Teton Rain Pants 6.9
REI eVent rain mitts 1.3

Clothing subtotal: 188.2 Clothing Weight in Pounds=11.7625

Shelter and Sleeping Gear
Locus Gear HAPI Pyramid tent 16 (Tent 11.6 8 stakes 3.8 Trekking Pole Tip 0.5)
Mountain Laurel Designs Duo cuben fiber groundsheet (also used for meat processing or as a pack rain cover) 3.5
X-Therm inflatable pad with bungie cord 15.6
Klymit Cush inflatable pillow with fastex buckle strap (also used for glassing and as rear bag for shooting) 3.9
Marmot Helium 15 degree down bag 32.5

Shelter and sleeping gear subtotal: 71.5 Weight in Pounds=4.46875

Cooking and Water
MSR Reactor stove with 1 liter pot and small gas canister, fire steel and small pack towel 22.5
MSR Hydromedary 3 liter water bladder and tube 6.1
Chlorine Dioxide Water purification tablets 1
MSR Trailshot water filter 5
Titanium spoon with long handle 0.4
Titanium cup with lid 2.5
Gallon ziplock freezer bag for trash. 0.4
Insulated meal pouch cozy (Wilderness Dining brand) 1.8
Critter proof food bag (Ursack Minor) 2.7

Cooking and Water Weight subtotal: 42.4 in Pounds=2.65

Backpack and Trekking Poles
Leki Speedlock Carbon Ti trekking poles with photo adapter 15
Seek Outside Brooks Backpack 77

Backpack and trekking Poles subtotal 92 Weight in Pounds=5.75

Personal Gear
Lighter 0.7
Hinderer XM-24 Folding Knife 7.7
Smith's Knife Sharpener 0.8
Coast FL75R Rechargeable LED Headlamp 4 (Headlamp 3.2 Spare batteries 0.8)
Diaper wipes (or toilet paper for cold weather) 3
Travel toothbrush and Toms toothpaste 1.6
Hand sanitizer 0.8
Map 3.8
Compass (Silva Guide) 1.6
First Aid Kit 13.1
Sun screen 1.4
10 meters of 1.3 mil cord 0.9
Litesmith chair 2.8

Personal Gear subtotal 42.2 Weight in Pounds=2.6375

Camera and Electronics
Ricoh GR Camera 8.7
Suunto Ambit 2 Watch 3.1
Delorme InReach 6.7
Android phone (Galaxy S8+) with Backcountry Navigator GPS app, and Ballistics apps 7.8
Spare battery for phone with integral USB plug (Jackery Bolt 6,000 mAh) 6
Earphones in cuben fiber bag 1.4

Camera and Electronics subtotal 33.7Weight in Pounds=2.10625

Shooting Gear, Optics, and Kill Kit
Christensen TI/TH Rifle (6.5 Creedmoor); Kahles 624i scope; Neopod bipod; and Slogan rubber sling with pouch. 146.4 (Rifle 99.4 ounces; Scope 33.6 ounces; Bipod 4.2 ounces; Sling 6.2 ounces; Talley Rings 5.7 ounces)
Soundgear Earplugs with extra batteries 1.7
Traditions muzzle protector gun condoms 0.2
Ammunition carrier and 6 rounds of ammunition 7.4
Zeiss 8x32 Victory binoculars 21.8
Outdoor Vision bino harness 12.9
Kowa Prominar 15-45x 55mm spotting scope in neoprene case 32.7
Granite Peak Tripod 9.7
Sig Kilo 2400 Rangefinder 8.1
Windicator 1.4
TAG Game bags with latex gloves 9.3
Hunting Tags

Shooting Gear and Kill Kit subtotal 251.6Weight in Pounds=15.725

From Skin Out Total Weight 721.6 (not including water or food) in Pounds=45.1

Food 1.6 pounds/day
What backpack do you carry to haul all of your hunting gear mentioned in this post? Im currently looking for a good hunting/camp pack.

36lbs- I Can stay out 6 days but I'm pretty hungry when I get back to my truck and prolly 10lbs lighter, 2 granola bars for breakfast and 1 Mtn house for supper on my bow hunts, never have packed a rifle in yet.
your gonna need a good water filter, good luck , here's a look at what mine looks like minus all the granola bars and a few Mtn hous.
7B306455-7C3A-41A8-B4FA-A586093DA507.jpeg
6FA2C2D5-9AA5-45CE-B536-D82DBA03BA4D.jpeg

36lbs- I Can stay out 6 days but I'm pretty hungry when I get back to my truck and prolly 10lbs lighter, 2 granola bars for breakfast and 1 Mtn house for supper on my bow hunts, never have packed a rifle in yet.
your gonna need a good water filter, good luck , here's a look at what mine looks like minus all the granola bars and a few Mtn hous.
View attachment 353269View attachment 353270
I would die of crying if I tried to exist off that little food. 😢

I do 2lbs a day (roughly) of very high calorie food.

My last trip I was at 52.5lb for a 5 day excursion. That's everything but water. I plan on getting that weight down to 49.3lb with my heavy 300WM and I've got a light(er) weight 6.5-248 in the works that would get me down to 46lb.
Rifle included my goal is 40lb for 5-7 days no water. I will always pack a minimum of 4L/8lb water until I know if and where I can refill. Going with a buddy for a week hike in hunt this sept and he always brags he doesn't pack water. I tell him I think he is crazy. One day he will ask for a drink while I'm refreshing.....nope you don't need water remember?

Rifle included my goal is 40lb for 5-7 days no water. I will always pack a minimum of 4L/8lb water until I know if and where I can refill. Going with a buddy for a week hike in hunt this sept and he always brags he doesn't pack water. I tell him I think he is crazy. One day he will ask for a drink while I'm refreshing.....nope you don't need water remember?
The areas I go usually have an abundance of water but I still fill my hydration pack before I leave. Dehydration is no joke, especially going from 1100ft where I live to 8000+ where I hunt. In a couple years I should have my 300WM load out under 48lb and my 6.5-284 load out closer to 45lb. Lightweight gear is pricey.

Including a scoped rifle you should be right on the money B/C a scoped rifle should come in around 8 ti 8.5 pounds and that leaves 42 pounds for all else including meat bags, knife, sharpening tool and latex gloves and heavier winter clothing, sleeping bag and mattress. Do NOT take a water filter . It will freeze and be useless if not burst. Use a Steripen brand UV light water purifier instead. Lighter and easier to use.

I would add 3 mm thick closed cell neoprene divers' socks (US Divers brand are best) to wear over thin poly liner socks. These replace your heaver socks and best of all keep your boots dry and therefore WARM inside.

These divers' socks are also known as Vapor Barrier Liners (VBL) and are well known among winter campers and mountaineers. Carry one pair of thin polyester sock liners for each day, changing out the wet liners each night. (Put the stinking, damp liner socks in a ZipLoc freezer bag!) Turn you divers' socks inside-out to dry for half an hour then put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Put on clean poly liner socks and heavy "sleep socks' for the night.

My credentials are 16 years as a Nordic and Alpine Ski Patroller and teaching US Army ROTC cadets winter survival including overnight tactical field exercises.

Last edited:
I would die of crying if I tried to exist off that little food. 😢

I do 2lbs a day (roughly) of very high calorie food.
Lol !! It is a thin diet for sure but I mean 2 (packs) of granola bars which is actually 4, some mornings I'll eat all 4 or I might save a pack (2) for mid day, I've done 2 solo hunts like this and it works out great. I'll drink a lot of water through out the day unless it's hard to find.