Wool pants

Cracker

I was wanting to get a couple pair of wool pants for this season and saw some milsurplus M1951 wool pants for a good price and was wondering if anyone has used them or had an opinion on them.

TIA

I bought a couple of army surplus wool pants that were european, probably swiss. They were only about $10 each, but worth alot more. I also have filson wool pants and bibs. The army surplus pants are not as heavy as the filson ones, but are very tough. I live near the Canadian border in Minnesota and work outside often in the winter. The wool pants provide a lot of insulation for a fabric with excellent freedom of movement. You can get warmer pants, but they will often feel more bulky. I love wool garments in snow because they handle the moisture from the snow well and dry quickly should you get a chance to go indoors. Most are dry clean only, but I have had great luck with a little woolite cold water and gentle cycle, but never dry with heat, hang or lay them flat to dry.

I say go for it if they are cheap.

I was wanting them for the reasons you mentioned. From what I understand the ones I am looking at are US Korean era surplus. The waist is supose to run a little tall and is also adjustable to allow more or less layering, there are buttons inside to accomadate a liner and suspenders. I ordered them last night so it won't be long.

pantswool.JPG

linerfieldtrousher.jpg

I have several pair of the M1951. Think I ordered them from an Idaho surp store.

I think there are better options out there. The pants are extremely baggy and the crotch is huge and baggy....no matter if your initials J.H. or not. Leg openings are larger than Carhartts, and I feel that you leak way more heat than you retain.

I think the euro pants would be better fitting for the purpose.

Though not in the same $20 category, I think Cabelas regular wt Microtex a good all around pant.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.