How far will you shoot at an animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far will I shoot at game? Who cares? Anybody who has been hunting long enough has wounded an animal and felt like crap about it. Bottom line: it's part of the game. My philosophy: Try to minimize it, get over it and try to do better the next time. Virtue signaling about how far anybody should shoot at anything is a waste of time. Do your homework with your rig, be reasonable about your capabilities and hunt. Theoretically, I'm good out to 400. But if a heavy 8 with a 22" spread walks out into the soy-bean field at 550, I'm doping up and taking the shot. If it doesn't work out, so be it.
These animals deserve respect but there are far weightier issues to be concerned with in life IMHO.
I agree with what you said, but I won't put a limit on yards since there are other factories beside distance that plays in taking that CONFIDENT shot.

Wow YZ-80 that is about the worse post I've ever seen regarding long range hunting! THAT is the reason people object to long range shooting ng at game. Shooting at an animal beyond your capability and hoping for the best is NOT showing respect for the animal or the sport. Knowing you limitations and sticking to them is what should be followed by everyone. I couldn't care less if a person shoots a game animal at 1200 yards as long as he is confident in the shot. That is well beyond my personal limitations as well as my equipment.. I don't care if it was a 200" whitetail or 400" elk I won't shoot farther than about 450 yards right now.
OK, Clem. Fair enough. At the same time there are guys on this forum that can count on one hand how many times they'll have an opportunity to take a shot like that and if it's presented to me within reasonable limits, I'm taking it regardless of who's gonna judge me about it. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.