• 900 yards

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • More than 1000 yards

Votes: 91 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've driven over 200 miles and walked several more to shoot one. Then rode the horse for 30 minutes to get to it. The planned shot was so far that I loaded sea salt ahead of the powder, behind the bullet so the meat wouldn't spoil by the time I got to it.

If the distance is accurately known, there is no or very little wind and I've already hit kill zone size rocks out to whatever the distance to the deer is, I'll take the shot...

I've driven over 200 miles and walked several more to shoot one. Then rode the horse for 30 minutes to get to it. The planned shot was so far that I loaded sea salt ahead of the powder, behind the bullet so the meat wouldn't spoil by the time I got to it.

If the distance is accurately known, there is no or very little wind and I've already hit kill zone size rocks out to whatever the distance to the deer is, I'll take the shot...

Roy, glad you used the sea salt and not that "it pours when it rains" crap.:rolleyes:
It can't handle the wind as good as the heaver sea salt!:)

I voted 600...

I have killed a few deer clean at 850, but have decided I was pushing my luck...you know how it is...getting older and wiser and all that. The longest kill shot I've ever made was on a coyote at 1,019 yards...coyotes are different than deer in my mind, if I can see them...I'll shoot them!

I no longer think a 308 is appropriate for deer at that range...it worked fine but any number of things could have caused it to end badly...I was lucky enough to figure that out on my own without having to learn it the hard way.

These days I'm shooting a 30-06...and I still limit myself to 600...I'm confident in my abilities at longer ranges and I have a place to practice out to 1,200 yards...but I don't have the right rifle for that range anymore, the 300 WM needs rebarreled, and I'm in no hurry to have it done...kicks too much to suit me anyway :D

Whatever distance inside 1000 yds that my bullet is still travelling at least 1800'/sec and the energy is around 1000 ft. lbs. or more. Also, one major pre-requirement is that I can put the 1st shot (and a 2nd or 3rd if required) within a few inches of where I intended it to go, and have utmost confidence in that ability.

That's my personal criteria for maximum distance (deer size game) on any high percentage shot ..........with any of my precision or LR rigs. Sure, the 338 AX will maintain that velocity and enegy way beyond 1000 yds, but I haven't practiced with it enough beyond 1000 to attempt it yet.

Personally, given a choice; I'd rather the deer be looking at something instead of grazing. They're more likely to take a step when grazing compared to when they are intently studying something with their eyes or ears.

i know this is completly random but how do i make me own new post pleas help me
If you mean start your own thread, just look when you come to this or any of the other forums at the top left where it says, "New Thread".

That's just above the list of all the topics in each forum on the left hand side.

Alot of long ranges here...

As the lethality of the fired round is directly proportionate to the bullet energy at the moment of impact, what does everyone think is an acceptable minimum down range energy; against say a whitetail?

I posted 1000 yards. That range is where my 6.5x284 is running 1800FPS and 1000 ft/pds. Of course, I have to feel certain the conditions are such I can make the shot. So far, my longest is 998 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.