• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED How does this work? I've got a gun to sell

arthurj

How does this work? I\'ve got a gun to sell

What are the laws on shipping a rifle to a buyer? What kind of documentation do I need? Do I just sell to the highest bidder? I have a rifle I want to sell that I feel will be more appreciated on this site than my local gun shop. If someone would please fill me in on this process I would appreciate it.

Re: How does this work? I\'ve got a gun to sell

Give details in this "Buy, Sell, Trade..... area)
Post a Pic. Worth lotsa words.

Post the $ figure you want and dicker via private email.

If there's an interested individual or individuals the details can be worked out.

Local FFL in your area will ship to FFL in buyers area. You negotiate which end pays s&h.

You make arranged for $ exchange.

Pretty simple

Put a price in the ad that you are wanting to get for it, auctioning to the highest bidder will probably just **** you off. If it is a long gun you can ship directly to someone in your own state without the use of a FFL. Once it goes across state lines though you MUST ship it to a FFL for the buyer to pick it up at.

Some states allow sales within state from user to user, but assuming a legal transfer of ownership everywhere:
#1 have the BUYER send you a copy of the dealer FFL(license) he chooses to receive the rifle and complete the transfer from your name to his.
To speed this up, you can just get the FFL and phone numbers from the buyer for his recieving dealer. Then check that it's a valid license here:
https://www.atfonline.gov/FFLeZCheck
#2 Call the dealer to be sure he has a heads up that it's coming just before shipping & remind him who it's for.
#3 Have the buyer let you know when he has it, and verify with the dealer that the transfer took place. He can then send you a copy of his license for your records.

It's really a good idea to keep all transaction & shipping records -forever. If the transfer didn't occur(you'll never really know), and the gun is someday found at a crime scene, the heat will be knocking on your door(they may knock it down). It's peace of mind.

As for shipping....depends on your area. The post office, UPS, just be sure to go to their websites and research packing and shipping instructions for firearms. It may take some patience, as most shippers know less about firearm shipping than you by then. You'll likely have to gently educate them.
Do not commit to sending ammo. It ain't worth it, trust me!

Ok, Im kind of ignorant on this matter. So would I ship it to the buyers local firearm dealership? Is the FFL the buyers license or the dealers license?

So would I ship it to the buyers local firearm dealership? YES

Is the FFL the buyers license or the dealers license? Either. If the buyer is a dealer, send it straight to him.

All you want to do in this transaction, is get the gun transferred out of your name & into his. The recieving FFL does this with a call to ATF(instant background check) after verifying the ID of the buyer. Or, he transfers it straight over to himself., He keeps an official log of transfers -by law.
Even if not required within state lines, you'd be leaving yourself vulnerable(as a seller) if your gun isn't officially transferred.
Also, be wary of scamsters w/doctored FFLs or those who fail ultimately to produce a hard copy. Report that immediately, because transfer may not have happened. I believe that the ATF, if really wanting to control things, should offer an "EZ gun ownership check". We should be able to type in our action serial number on their website, and see who the owner officially is at any given time. No reason for this pretending that gun registration doesn't exist. It does, and we are or will be held accountable for disposition of our guns. Eventually.

Thanks Mike that clears it up for me.