How Does the 300 Win and 30 Nos. Compare

Those numbers appear to be complete BS. Maybe if you run a factory loaded 300wm out of a 22-24" tube you would come up with those numbers...

For what it is worth, check out the fine print * ...

30%20Nosler%20vs%2030%20cals_zpsyhlvqdom.jpg

Umm, yes. All 30 Nosler data is compared to other Nosler reloading data.

Lies, **** lies and statistics.

Nothing against Nosler in this but remember "truth" is the truth as you/I/Nosler marketing see it. Facts are facts. There is a big difference between a "truth" and a "fact".

Facts like same barrel length, loaded to the same pressure are not important to the "truth". If you don't mention the facts your "truth" can not be rebutted.

Everyone can honestly say:
That's the truth as I see it.
or
I don't see the truth the same way you do.

and not be lieing.

However, saying 1" = 1" is a fact. Trying to say .750" is = 1" is a lie or non-fact.

Yes the nosler has a "more efficient case design" it has slightly more capacity than a 300wm as Bros has already determined. That should give a bump in velocity over what he's already seeing with the 300wm given same barrel length and about a hundred other factors. The proof will be in the test, which should be very interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

Yes the nosler has a "more efficient case design" it has slightly more capacity than a 300wm as Bros has already determined. That should give a bump in velocity over what he's already seeing with the 300wm given same barrel length and about a hundred other factors. The proof will be in the test, which should be very interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

I am also looking forward to it. In my heart I feel I may be wasting some of my money, brass, dies etc. But when I am done I will know the advantages of each. I doubt any big noticeable performance gains, but I need to see if the "Efficiency" factor is real. Side by side to as close to the same pressure they will be. Unless the NOS suffers in accuracy at max. I know my 300 win doesn't.

Jeff

Umm, yes. All 30 Nosler data is compared to other Nosler reloading data.

Lies, **** lies and statistics.

Nothing against Nosler in this but remember "truth" is the truth as you/I/Nosler marketing see it. Facts are facts. There is a big difference between a "truth" and a "fact".

Facts like same barrel length, loaded to the same pressure are not important to the "truth". If you don't mention the facts your "truth" can not be rebutted.

Everyone can honestly say:
That's the truth as I see it.
or
I don't see the truth the same way you do.

and not be lieing.

However, saying 1" = 1" is a fact. Trying to say .750" is = 1" is a lie or non-fact.
Per certain theories, .750" can be the same or longer than 1" if it's moving at a certain velocity. Einstein messed up all sorts of FACTS.

gun)
Per certain theories, .750" can be the same or longer than 1" if it's moving at a certain velocity. Einstein messed up all sorts of FACTS.

:cool:

Then you are not measuring under the same conditions so all the facts are not the same.

Just poking fun back at you.

I think the simple things are being missed here. The fact is the 30 Nosler feeds long bullets very well in a standard action. This we know because we have built two and the guns work well.

We have also seen velocity to 3100 fps with the 215 Hybrids behind Retumbo. RL 26 may offer yet more velocity. But again, the beauty is 3000+ (with a variety of powders) with long bullets and feeding cleanly.

The Nosler is not a magic cartridge, nor is it going to be the next best 30. It is just an alternative for folks seeking an accurate high velocity round that manages bullets very well.

I think the simple things are being missed here. The fact is the 30 Nosler feeds long bullets very well in a standard action. This we know because we have built two and the guns work well.

We have also seen velocity to 3100 fps with the 215 Hybrids behind Retumbo. RL 26 may offer yet more velocity. But again, the beauty is 3000+ (with a variety of powders) with long bullets and feeding cleanly.

The Nosler is not a magic cartridge, nor is it going to be the next best 30. It is just an alternative for folks seeking an accurate high velocity round that manages bullets very well.

Believe me these guys know! :):Dgun)

Did you read the review? Here is a copy and paste from post 1.

"In conclusion here are my thoughts.
Case usable capacity with powder goes to the 30 Nosler with about 3.7 gr. What that will actually mean as far as muzzle velocity remains to be seen. Powder burn rate and barrel length will come into play here. Brass quality and hardness will shadow true results as well.

30 Nosler may be an advantage for some with a shorter mag box length by .095" However I have not had issues in a long action loading to the lands with a 300 win with these bullets.

I plan to further research the quality and hardness of the available brass for the 30 Nosler. I know some very tough brass is available for the 300 win. Like Bertram and RWS. This could easily level the field for velocity and could allow the 300 win to excel. But that needs to be proven.

My gut tells me with a 28" barrel they both will come in in the 3000 to 3050 fps range at 4000' asl. But I would hope with good strong brass and the correct powder the 30 Nos. might see 3075 to 3100. Maybe?

Belts do not bother me in the least. But if you are one that does not like belted cases the 30 Nos. get the nod here.

The shorter neck of the 300 win has never been an issue either, but if you prefer a longer neck the 30 Nos. offers .041" more neck to bearing surface length."

Jeff

Did you read the review? Here is a copy and paste from post 1.

"In conclusion here are my thoughts.
Case usable capacity with powder goes to the 30 Nosler with about 3.7 gr. What that will actually mean as far as muzzle velocity remains to be seen. Powder burn rate and barrel length will come into play here. Brass quality and hardness will shadow true results as well.

30 Nosler may be an advantage for some with a shorter mag box length by .095" However I have not had issues in a long action loading to the lands with a 300 win with these bullets.

I plan to further research the quality and hardness of the available brass for the 30 Nosler. I know some very tough brass is available for the 300 win. Like Bertram and RWS. This could easily level the field for velocity and could allow the 300 win to excel. But that needs to be proven.

My gut tells me with a 28" barrel they both will come in in the 3000 to 3050 fps range at 4000' asl. But I would hope with good strong brass and the correct powder the 30 Nos. might see 3075 to 3100. Maybe?

Belts do not bother me in the least. But if you are one that does not like belted cases the 30 Nos. get the nod here.

The shorter neck of the 300 win has never been an issue either, but if you prefer a longer neck the 30 Nos. offers .041" more neck to bearing surface length."

Jeff

Jeff,

L:DL! With all due respect to NBK, he obviously does not know you and your passion well enough. :cool:

Cheers!

Ed

Jeff,

L:DL! With all due respect to NBK, he obviously does not know you and your passion well enough. :cool:

Cheers!

Ed

Just restating the obvious. I have read hundreds of Jeff's posts here on LRH, Rokslide etc. He was unknowingly one of the catalysts regarding our 30 Nosler builds (due to his success with the 215 Hybrid in his 300 WM).

We shot our 90th elk this past season out of one small area in NM. And of all of the calibers we have used (6mm - .338), the .30 has been the king of one-shot kills. And Jeff's thread on the 215 Berger's raised our eyebrows.

Unlike a lot of folks behind the keyboards, we have started testing the builds both at the range and in the field. And JP over at Fine Firearms built us some great rifles to play with, and we are doing just that...

As far as saving money or spending money on various calibers, this isn't a sport or hobby for the frugal. So if brass is a little bit more or less expensive, the relevance is inconsequential. It is fun learning a new cartridge and having something a little different.

The round performs, it is incredibly easy to reload, it's very accurate, and it runs great in a standard action and is hell on game. What's not to like?

I do look forward to Jeff's opinion regarding the 30 Nosler. It's always nice to hear different perspectives. And yes, I read the review...

And Ed, thank you for being respectful of my post. I chimed in hoping to ad value. Just want to be part of the conversation.

Just restating the obvious. I have read hundreds of Jeff's posts here on LRH, Rokslide etc. He was unknowingly one of the catalysts regarding our 30 Nosler builds (due to his success with the 215 Hybrid in his 300 WM).

We shot our 90th elk this past season out of one small area in NM. And of all of the calibers we have used (6mm - .338), the .30 has been the king of one-shot kills. And Jeff's thread on the 215 Berger's raised our eyebrows.

Unlike a lot of folks behind the keyboards, we have started testing the builds both at the range and in the field. And JP over at Fine Firearms built us some great rifles to play with, and we are doing just that...

As far as saving money or spending money on various calibers, this isn't a sport or hobby for the frugal. So if brass is a little bit more or less expensive, the relevance is inconsequential. It is fun learning a new cartridge and having something a little different.

The round performs, it is incredibly easy to reload, it's very accurate, and it runs great in a standard action and is hell on game. What's not to like?

I do look forward to Jeff's opinion regarding the 30 Nosler. It's always nice to hear different perspectives. And yes, I read the review...

And Ed, thank you for being respectful of my post. I chimed in hoping to ad value. Just want to be part of the conversation.

I know you mean well and if you started as you just did on this post, I guarantee you'll get Jeff really interested on your impressive 90th elk harvest instead ... and might still do so. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Ed

I hope I didn't come across wrong. I was pointing out that your finding were indeed alot like mine. It also sounds like we have seen the same terminal performance on elk. We only took 36 this season because we were not offered the management hunts. Elk numbers here have taken a huge plunge here. A lot of that is due to the 30 cals.:D

Your input is appreciated. Thanks
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts