How Does the 300 Win and 30 Nos. Compare

May I ask what Bullet , powder and charge weight you are now at max please? I am just trying to do some mental comparisons of my own here on a chambering I have spent a lot of time with.

Jeff

Jim Borden built the 300 win mag and throated to handle the Berger 210 VLD. I am shooting the 215 Berger Hybrid with 75 grains of H1000 the GM215M and .085" jump. The long jump is where the rifle likes it, not a mag box limitation. I know 75 grains sounds like a light charge, but I assure you I am right at max. My other Borden rifle pressures up fast too both have Hart barrels. I can check overall length of the loaded bullet if you are interested.

I find it humous that nosler has the 33Nosler edging out a 338LM when the 30Nosler just edges out the WinMag.

Yeah when I first saw the advertisement for the 33 I laughed. The Nosler cases are shorter than the .338 RUM and even that cartridge doesn't even equal the Lapua, let alone beat it! Great marketing by Nosler. I like their 26, 28, and 30 but I think the 33 is just too much for this case.

Jim Borden built the 300 win mag and throated to handle the Berger 210 VLD. I am shooting the 215 Berger Hybrid with 75 grains of H1000 the GM215M and .085" jump. The long jump is where the rifle likes it, not a mag box limitation. I know 75 grains sounds like a light charge, but I assure you I am right at max. My other Borden rifle pressures up fast too both have Hart barrels. I can check overall length of the loaded bullet if you are interested.

Thank you, this helps as I know this combo fairly well. So your velocity is about 2900?

Jeff

I find it humous that nosler has the 33Nosler edging out a 338LM when the 30Nosler just edges out the WinMag.

I think the reason Nosler makes this claim is because the 33 Nosler has a max chamber spec of 65000 psi and the 338 Lapua's is only 60916. So going off of those max chamber specs the 33 Nosler can possibly out run the larger case capacity of the 338 Lapua, IF, they are both loaded to their published max chamber spec pressures.

The 300 Win mag has a max chamber pressure of 64000 compared to the 30 Nosler's 65000 which likely helps the 300 Win narrow the gap to the 30 Nosler, when comparing the two with both only being loaded to their published max chamber pressures.

Yeah when I first saw the advertisement for the 33 I laughed. The Nosler cases are shorter than the .338 RUM and even that cartridge doesn't even equal the Lapua, let alone beat it! Great marketing by Nosler. I like their 26, 28, and 30 but I think the 33 is just too much for this case.

On Facebook the stuck to the more efficient design defense. I said it's a much smaller capacity case no way it's beating the Lapua within the normal pressure ranges. Of course nosler supporters came running to their defense more or less calling me a hater. They would have been fine comparing it to the RUM.

Jeff, thanks for this comparison. I'm really liking the 30 nosler for my next build.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.