How Does the 300 Win and 30 Nos. Compare

FIRST AND FOREMOST DO NOT USE ANY LOAD DATA FROM ANY OF MINE OR OTHER POST'S ON THIS THREAD!!!!!! POWDER LOTS, BARREL VARIANCE, COMPONENT VARIANCE,ETC ETC ETC... SAFETY FRICKING FIRST PEOPLE!!!!!

Jeff,
My personal findings on the 30 Nolser W/215 hybrid are as follows..
Built on Defiance Deviant action
Bartlein 10 twist 26" #3
MCM stock
jewel
you get the idea all high end parts done right....Oh but ya cant forget the TBAC Titianium supressor :)
when i first received the reamer and print I made my brass outta 28 nosler brass turned, trimmed yata yata. I shot this for 25 rounds or so basically looking for pressures rough zeroing and not taking it to seriously knowing that......
A. I wanted to do real life research on actual factory brass and
B. I didn't want the findings to be swayed by any thicker this, neck turned that bla blah blah then I found 30 nolser brass so that stuff went in the trash.

My 300 win mag set up for the 215 hybrid runs 3.630" COAL (((NOTE THIS IS .020" off lands))) this leaves the Bt/BS junction just a touch below the neck shoulder junction but not really eating up that much usable case capacity((((you can only put so much H1000 in this case before it says NOPE))))))),,,,and this will work in any standard repeater mag box, AI mag or HS precision mag.....which is what most folks want anyways, and this will allow for a lifetime of barrel burn in and chasing the lands without running outta mag box length.

My 30 nolser set up is a touch different and this is where the shorter fatter case will come on strong I think.... my COAL with 215 hybrid is 3.667" this is In lands with no where else to go even if you stand on it!!! Now This leaves the BT/BS junction roughly .040" above the Neck/Shoulder junction. All the while still being able to run through any AI mag HS precision or standard internal LA mag box

My 300 WM with 215 gr berger Hybrids in 25-26" 10 twist tubes run in the Average 2880-2900 FPS range Validated velocity using Norma brass and 76-77.2gr H1000 powder non coated anything just outta the box and in the case nothing special no HBN just raw components period. ((((( I know I know.....Im gonna Hear the """"why not run a 28-30" barrel or throat it out so the bullets barely in the case so you can cram another 5 gr of powder in there for a measly fps gain all the while stressing the cartridge to its absolute limit! yata frickin yata""""" get a dam ultra mag sized case so you can run a 230at or over 3100 fps in a 26" barrel!!!!

If im gonna pack a longer and heavier hunting rig its not going to be a 300 win mag with a 215 sorry, its gonna be something that either moves a 30 cal 230gr bullet @ 3100 plus or better yet a 338 or 375cal that moves a 300gr 338cal or 350-400 gr 375 cal at 3000 fps plus. PERIOD! everybody is different and that's just me.

Yeah i know the 300 win mag is awesome and versatile and has taken countless animals and targets at ranges from.......................................................................................................................................................................and I'm asleep,,,,,,,,,.......

My test subject 30 Nosler with fired brass, 83gr of Retumbo CCI 250 26" 10 twist (it could probably go a little more in my rifle but this is where accuracy got stupid good it was near top end so i stopped, and i see now nosler has it maxed at 84gr retumbo with 210gr) and 215 Hybrid bullet non coated just raw, ran 3038 FPS validated and did it with stupid good accuracy!!! as far as barrel life and so on I don't have but 150 rounds on this barrel so time will tell! why Retumbo???? it was what i grabbed and based off of other similar sized cases I've messed with i figured it would work out pretty good.

Im gonna run this barrel and keep track of barrel erosion and throat wear but im guessing it wont be any worse than a 300 win mag if any!

Is it the end all be all of the 30 cal variety .....NAAAAOOOOOOOO! it is proving that its a solid offering and in a shorter package by a good company!

Good Info Elk Hunter 338, Your 30 Nos. with a 215 is running exactly where my 300 win has been running for 4 years now on the same brass. That brass was run prior to that time with 210's at about 40 to 50 fps slower. But I am running a 28" tube so take off 50 fps and we could have a close estimate of what the difference in these chambering are. Which comparing your 30 Nos data to my 300 win data looks to go to the Nos. by roughly 50 fps.

Edit PS: my 300 win OAL is 3.630 also but I am -.040" off the lands. I am running a little more H-1000 but as you said , lot numbers and rifles make the difference. But we are close there.

Thanks for the data. I appreciate it.

Jeff

And for what its worth. Most know I am a huge 338 fan. Plus I am building a 375. But more so I have ran the gauntlet of the 30's and the 7's. From 30 Lapua's to 30-378's to even a 7 Lapua once. What I like about the "Mid Sized Magnum" and the 30 cal is. Loooong barrel life. Enough that I can use it year after year and it still shoots in the .2's. Well at least 5 or 6 years now on this rifle and 1500 rounds was passed over a year ago. A 215 gr bullet that kills with only one on any elk I come across to 1000. Decent wind defiance and low recoil with a good brake. I ran some pretty impressive 30's and 7's. The 7's just didn't kill good for me. I don't like taking aim on a good bull knowing I have to get another in asap.

I truely feel this new 30 Nos. I am building will do exactly what yours does. And as you said with good brass and tube life. I just think the 300 win and 30 Nos are hard to beat and will cover 90% of what we need done. Maybe 99%. But I too see the merit in a food 338 with a 300 gr bullet to do the same think. Especially here in elk country. And I have those rifles, and I packed one most all season. With today's brakes the recoil is more than manageable.

But for now this quest is to shoot a 300 win and a 30 Nos side by side, loaded from the same powder and bullet lot and compare.

Also I am currently running all my 30's with no coatings as well.

Jeff

Yes sir i hear ya... I think the gains will be better for the nos simply because of the make up of the cartridge design! i too believe that you cant shoot and elk with a big enough bullet at any range! will the 7's kill,,, hell yes they will ....will most die right there eeeehhhhhhh im gonna say rack another and let him have it! 30 cal at 3000fps is where I personally draw the line and even better a 338 of some sort at same or faster speed!
It will be nice to see a comparison side by side

The Nosler cartridges are easy to make from Bertram 375 RUM brass (338 Edge, 300 RUM & 338 RUM)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 103
We just finished (Jan 8th) a 30 Nosler JP build and there was no disappointment. JP over at Fine Firearms is an amazing gun builder

Bighorn SR3 action (we received serial #1 & 2)
26" Brux #5 barrel 4 groove 9 twist
McMillan Game Warden stock Carbon filled (blind magazine)
Jewell trigger (2lbs)
Wyatt extended box blind magazine, follower and spring
Fine Firearms muzzle break
Remington ADL aluminum trigger guard

The gun shoots lights out and has already shot an elk as well as ding donged the 1K gong with ease.

I worked up two loads with the 215 Bergers.

83.6 grains of Retumbo for a velocity of 3050 fps from the doppler
82.8 grains of Magnum for a velocity of 3015 fps from the doppler

The 30 Nosler JP reamer allows for a bit more breathing room for powder and bullet. So 3000+ FPS with the 215 Berger was achieved with ease.

Both of the above loads proved to be very accurate but another load that shot well came from 80.3 grains of Retumbo @ 2900 fps from the Magneto Speed. The group shown was shot #'s 1- 6 through the new barrel.

There were no seating depth changes (all were .035" of the lands) and the Nosler brass was stuffed with GM215M primers, necks and flash holes cleaned etc.

I have brass ready to be stuffed with H1000 next. The gun seems to shoot everything very well so far. And I will experiment with the 212 ELD-X as well. The gun currently has 117 rounds through it. It is finished for the exception of Cerakote. We left on a late season elk hunt last week and ran out of time.

The two elk we shot (while not a convincing sample size) proved to showcase the 30 Nosler/215 Berger combo to be quite deadly. The damage the bullets caused were extensive to say the least. We were not afforded long shots, however the guns were impressive on the game regardless!

I hope this thread continues as there is merit to be given to a cartridge that is so easy to load, doesn't seem finicky and is certainly a contender in .30 caliber class.

Below is gun #2 in the test chassis with a Leupold Competition Series 40x scope for load development.

Looking forward to posting some more info regarding further testing as well as reading data from others.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Testchassis.jpg
    Testchassis.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
We just finished (Jan 8th) a 30 Nosler JP build and there was no disappointment. JP over at Fine Firearms is an amazing gun builder

Bighorn SR3 action (we received serial #1 & 2)
26" Brux #5 barrel 4 groove 9 twist
McMillan Game Warden stock Carbon filled (blind magazine)
Jewell trigger (2lbs)
Wyatt extended box blind magazine, follower and spring
Fine Firearms muzzle break
Remington ADL aluminum trigger guard

The gun shoots lights out and has already shot an elk as well as ding donged the 1K gong with ease.

I worked up two loads with the 215 Bergers.

83.6 grains of Retumbo for a velocity of 3050 fps from the doppler
82.8 grains of Magnum for a velocity of 3015 fps from the doppler

The 30 Nosler JP reamer allows for a bit more breathing room for powder and bullet. So 3000+ FPS with the 215 Berger was achieved with ease.

Both of the above loads proved to be very accurate but another load that shot well came from 80.3 grains of Retumbo @ 2900 fps from the Magneto Speed. The group shown was shot #'s 1- 6 through the new barrel.

There were no seating depth changes (all were .035" of the lands) and the Nosler brass was stuffed with GM215M primers, necks and flash holes cleaned etc.

I have brass ready to be stuffed with H1000 next. The gun seems to shoot everything very well so far. And I will experiment with the 212 ELD-X as well. The gun currently has 117 rounds through it. It is finished for the exception of Cerakote. We left on a late season elk hunt last week and ran out of time.

The two elk we shot (while not a convincing sample size) proved to showcase the 30 Nosler/215 Berger combo to be quite deadly. The damage the bullets caused were extensive to say the least. We were not afforded long shots, however the guns were impressive on the game regardless!

I hope this thread continues as there is merit to be given to a cartridge that is so easy to load, doesn't seem finicky and is certainly a contender in .30 caliber class.

Below is gun #2 in the test chassis with a Leupold Competition Series 40x scope for load development.

Looking forward to posting some more info regarding further testing as well as reading data from others.

Way too cool, looks like you got yourself a shooter ... those SR3s are awesome, I have the SR2 on my last build.

Not sure if this is still relevant to you but I found this helpful:

30 Nosler

Ballistic comparisons of 30 Nosler and 300 WM, 300WBM.

I personally think the 28 Nosler is their hallmark cartridge. The 30 is nice but for such a small advantage over the venerable 300 WM I just dont see the value, given the wide availability of 300WM components.

30 Nosler

Ballistic comparisons of 30 Nosler and 300 WM, 300WBM..

Hard to take those numbers seriously when I have ran 210 Bergers at 2995 and 215 Bergers at 3050 from a 300 win.

I will know true results soon, I have a 30 Nosler going together.

Jeff

My 300 Weatherby pushes the 215 to 3000fps just cruising... I've taken the 225 BTHP to 2950fps and a hex coated 225 ELD to 2970fps.. So I'm really not sure why Nosler continues to inflate its number. Kinda like handicapping the Lapua to make its 33 Nosler look like it outperforms it... Looking forward to Jeff's unbiased test..

Nosler's numbers are skewed for sure. I look forward to Broz's report but I just don't see the value when considering the price of brass. I will stick to my 300 and 7-300 for now.

30 Nosler

Ballistic comparisons of 30 Nosler and 300 WM, 300WBM.

Those numbers appear to be complete BS. Maybe if you run a factory loaded 300wm out of a 22-24" tube you would come up with those numbers...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.