How do you pack your rifle for a long hike?

Mystery Ranch Crewcab, with Kifaru gun bearer. Sometimes I pack it slantwise in the Crew cab with scope covered using ebrelstock scope and crown protector. Rifle weighs 13 lbs.

Crewcab has extended loadlifter modification.

Kuiu Icon 3000 is my everyday go to pack and I can easily haul my gun in a couple of positions. I can carry it on the side by stuffing the butt into the water bottle-type pouches on each side then using the compression straps on the top to secure it in. This works well when I've got my tripod and spotter strapped in similarly on the other side. Or it can ride right in the middle with the butt of the rifle in the pack's bucket and compression straps securing the top of the rifle in. There's no quick, easy access but if that's needed, I'll simply carry it.

When you say long hike do you mean day hunt or over night? Also since you say long hike I assume that means you plan on coming out with an animal in the pack as well. The affordable option is the Eberlestock dragonfly or the dragonfly m. The dragonfly m has a widemouth scabbord and is probably better suited to handling your setup. This is a nice pack and I have used it. You will feel little difference with this pack until you get over 40 or so lbs. So when you get that animal in it is when you will start to want for a higher quality pack. I prefer this to the j34 because it has an actual frame in it to help with the weight.
Now stepping up to a higher level pack will cost you, almost double, what you can get an Eberlestock for but I personally have never regretted the decision. The amazing weight carrying ability and versatility make it easily worth it. I run two different setups depending on the trip, both are on a kifaru duplex frame. For day hunting I run the duplex frame with a nomad bag and Eberlestock scabbord strapped down the middle. I use a grabbit and kifaru meat bag to strap the boned out animal or quaters to the pack. This is ideal because it puts the weight of the rifle in the middle and is easy to balance the spotting scope and trips on either side. For overnight hunts I use the same duplex frame but use a dt1 bag. I then use the auxiliary gun bearer and swithed the buckled over to autolocking buckles on the gun side. It's harder to balance the load with this setup but I xan do it with the backpacking equipment. I dont have many good pictures handy of my nomad but if you want more I'll try and find some.

Attachments

• 10857960_10203919136929420_1684363353746138847_n.jpg
    10857960_10203919136929420_1684363353746138847_n.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 211
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/best-lrh-backpack-139213/index3.html

Post 17 and 18 is where I go through the nomad setup.
I've been using a 7 Rem mag wuth a 26" barrel, manners t2 stock and nightforce nxs 5.5-22 50 objective. Rifle weighs 14 lbs 5 oz. I'm about to pick up a 30" barrel plus break 338 lapua imp. That will go over 15 lbs and I expect this setup to carry that without much difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.