Do you hunt smaller game with your long range rifle ?

dgr416

I use to hunt crows with my 243 at long range and foxes and coyotes but with all the houses being built around our farm I am limited to shooting stuff long range out of my treestand and a new raised shooting bench so my shots are all downward .I was hoping to shoot long range hogs but they disapeared .I still try to shoot coyotes but those suckers in the timber are super tricky .We don't have ground squirrels here so I guess I will try long range targets in the timber in the stand which is hard to set the targets so you can see them .I do shoot water jugs at long range too .I AM just looking for new ideas to use that are very close to what I encounter long range while hunting .

Ditto, groundhogs here. Actually, I'm not awesome at long range, so groundhogs (or coyotes, if one would happen to be way out there) are about the only things I would take a shot at at long range. Crows as well.

I did get a groundhog at 775 a couple years ago, but it took two shots. First shot was about 6" off. Still proud of that one, for me that was a big accomplishment!

My long range rifle is my short range rifle, and used for most any and all hunting.....unless specifically out for small varmints! Though my LR is pretty tame or lame by the standards set here....the rifle/cartridge has been proven quite effective from foxes to moose! memtb

Always. I like to shoot long so the larger caliber is just a must. And nothing is better practice than grounghogs, crow, coyote, etc.
I have killed plenty of them out further than i have killed deer or would even try and kill deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.