How do you hang and skin?

If somewhere convenient, I have used the rock with rope attached to the truck bumper trick. The carcass comes out clean with no loose hair on it at all. Otherwise I hang as you mention.

This is a very easy and slick way to skin a deer. However, it will almost always bloodshot the hams to some degree. I hang them by their hind legs and use a modified gutless method, boning them out while hanging.

Not saying everyone does it bad but I've seen more meat rotting in the mountains using the guttless method than anything.
Ran on two bulls last year, guys backed up to them, left all of the flanks, all of the neck, both tenderloins and did a half a__ed job of getting the backstrap, left better than 40 lbs of meat. We see this multiple times a year. We get 95% of our elk out whole and 100% of the deer. It's a significant investment in gear and labor to do but hunting success for me is by the pound! I'll pass an animal if I don't have a clear retrieval whole.
I hock them then hang game on the RH side since I cut right handed. One cut up with the hair and pull the top leg down, then bottom leg, pull down to front legs, cut from elbow out the front and pull the rest of, sever at the base of the head.
I have had to bone out a few but it's done like a beef, from the belly skinning around from one side then taking that meat, rolling the carcass over onto the hide remove the other half.
I used to skin with two one ton three phase winches with a floor roller, average a deer a minute with that system, we allowed skinners 4 hairs that we're generated by skinning.

Last edited:
At a ranch I hunt in south Texas we have an overhead winch set up and an eye bolt in the cement. We attached a short piece of cable to the eye bolt with a lasso set up on the end of it so that once we have started the skinning and have made all of our cuts we use a golf ball under the skin and put the lasso around the golf ball and use the winch to raise the carcass thus pulling off the skin. It's almost like skinning a rabbit. It's quick and easy.

I have used the gutless method since before it had its name our group takes all the meat neck meat and tenderloins included. We leave leg bones in and skin off hinds in one piece and fronts rib meat and backstraps in one piece then the neck after that we open flank then flank tenderloins liver etc. can be taken.
You would starve quick on what we leave behind. We also would never be able to get these animals out whole as we pack them out a good distance.

I am usually a long way from equipment when I knock an animal down. Most are taken apart on the ground. If they aren't too big or I have help I role them onto a tarp before I begin, to keep dirt out, then I skin the hide off. If it's a "keeper" I take the cape off first and that means taking the hide all the way past the front legs anyway. Sheep get boned out because the head and meat are so heavy it is all I can manage. A couple of times the head and cape were so heavy on top of my pack I had to game bag the meat and leave it up in a tree and come back for it. With most animals I clean and rough quarter the animal and pack the quarters out. When I get home I hang each quarter from a cleaning station and trim and wash it before going into a cooler. The ribs are one of my favourite parts of the animal so they don't get left behind. I don't generally set any speed records when I am gutting or skinning because of safety concerns. Even nowadays I am normally pretty excited when I put an animal down and over the years I have seen quite a few bad cuts happen when people are in a hurry, (I even have a few stitches myself), so I try to slow down and be deliberate. We do use razor sharp knives. With moose I have even taken to using kevlar gloves because there is so much cutting inside the animal and my hands are often cold. Once, before I tried this, I pulled a hand out of the carcass and reached for my pack-saw and it was so cold my bloody hand instantly froze to the saw and had to be pried away. That was both dumb, and predictable.

1EFA4B01-50AC-444A-9A46-913CEAF516BA.jpeg

Easiest way I have found

i'm amazed at the different ways people hang and skin deer. iv tried several but the way i do it anymore is to hang from back legs on a single tree( redneck for gambrel). then just skin him down. how do you all do it?
Same exact way except I use a Tennis ball n my lawn tractor. NOT a SINGLE HAIR! I don't even gut em anymore, just saw off the hoofs n use a razor around the neck. Roll it back enuff to get the ball under the hide. Rope tied in a Running Bowline, hook over the hide n ball. Put the tractor in gear n go. Like takin a GLOVE or a Womans Stocking off.
Theosmithjr

For deer we hang from back legs and skin down. Make sure to get esophagus out of neck and leave age. We also pressure wash to get blood or hair cleaned off. I can't say that the gutless method is any cleaner or faster for deer.

x3 We don't eat organ meat and unless the animal is a whopper, the six ounces of tenderloin we miss is not an issue for us. We don't have to save the head and once done, lower it down and drag it off the the bone pile with a four wheeler. We usually debone in camp and meet on a day during the coming week to grind and process.

i'm amazed at the different ways people hang and skin deer. iv tried several but the way i do it anymore is to hang from back legs on a single tree( redneck for gambrel). then just skin him down. how do you all do it?
One way....just like you said... the other...skin one half of the animal on the ground....don't open the stomach... process that half...loin, remove shoulder, remove back leg, roll on to skin...do they same to other side.... you can fully dress a deer in about 15-18 minutes without spilling the insides out.....no mess dressing

i do the gutless method hanging by the legs, preferably out at my land so i can throw the carcass in the woods and let other stuff eat it. i made up a few gambrels from rebar so that i always have one. then i use a hand crank winch to lift them up. i've done it in the garage before and it was so messy i'm not doing that anymore. not to mention my wife doesnt care to see dead deer. she just wants to eat them.