How do you hang and skin?

If I'm really out there I'll go gutless, but if possible I like to bring to whole animal back and hang it for a while (head down). This allows me to get a better yield since I can process the animal with proper butchery equipment and more importantly, I get to keep the bones.

If you like to cook (I'm a classically trained chef), throwing out the bones is tantamount to wasting the backstrap. Cut those unwieldy things in to 2" chunks with a bandsaw, roast'em with some garlic and tomato paste, and then throw them into a pot with some wine, veges, and herbs and make a venison stock that'll blow your mind. It's a perfect base for sauces, stews, risotto.....the list goes on and on.

The animals have many delicious things to offer us....the large pieces of meat are really just the starting point.

I prefer the gutless method anywhere I can't drive a vehicle too. When I can get to them with a rig I bring them out whole and skin on my winch system...

FKRX7DF.jpg

MTFgPnG.jpg

I2JA480.jpg

kujjlyP.jpg

dBzpnOw.jpg

Same exact way except I use a Tennis ball n my lawn tractor. NOT a SINGLE HAIR! I don't even gut em anymore, just saw off the hoofs n use a razor around the neck. Roll it back enuff to get the ball under the hide. Rope tied in a Running Bowline, hook over the hide n ball. Put the tractor in gear n go. Like takin a GLOVE or a Womans Stocking off.
Theosmithjr

Lol I've never needed a tractor to pull off women's stocking. Maybe you would have more luck if you get them to take their own stockings off. ;)

If I'm really out there I'll go gutless, but if possible I like to bring to whole animal back and hang it for a while (head down). This allows me to get a better yield since I can process the animal with proper butchery equipment and more importantly, I get to keep the bones.

If you like to cook (I'm a classically trained chef), throwing out the bones is tantamount to wasting the backstrap. Cut those unwieldy things in to 2" chunks with a bandsaw, roast'em with some garlic and tomato paste, and then throw them into a pot with some wine, veges, and herbs and make a venison stock that'll blow your mind. It's a perfect base for sauces, stews, risotto.....the list goes on and on.

The animals have many delicious things to offer us....the large pieces of meat are really just the starting point.
Nice never thought of that,Thanks

I made up a rack that slides into the receiver on the truck. It folds up for transport using trailer hitch pins. Doesn't get in the way. You pull one pin at each end and it folds back on its self.

I found that it works great for deer in the field. A little short for Elk, the main beam has been cut and made to extend another three feet.

I drew plans for it, will be happy to share if anyone wants to build their own.
Hoist.jpg

Last edited:
We do a lot of hunting on the plains or other places where a tree is not available. I find that 3 tipi poles, lashed together at the top, make a great hoist system. I also divot the small pocket at each leg to avoid leg slip.

Over the past 30 years all the deer, and that has been hundreds, that I have killed I have not had to drag maybe 10% much over 50 yards to where I could put them in the truck. I hang them by the hind legs using a gambrel and skin down. I remove the hams boneless, back straps and what meat that is useful off the front shoulders. Unless the deer is a large one I do not remove the tender loin. If I remove the tinder loin I do it without gutting by just cutting into the belly just in front of the crotch. The guts are forward in the cavity so I can reach down inside the cavity and cut out the tender loins. Total time to remove all the deboned meat usually is less than 20 minutes. I don't eat the liver or other parts.

The Alaskan method for sure, now know as the gutless method I suppose. We have a problem with heat out here in the southwest so We use the Alaskan method to cool the meat quicker. We do not gut the Animal. Once you debone the animal there is nothing left for the coyotes but bones and guts. When an animal dies the internal temperature will increase slightly and sour the meat if you leave the hide on. The Alaskan method immediately lowers the temperature of the meat and gets it to ambient temperature quick. This makes for sweet tasting meat with no "gamey" flavor as some would say.
We do this with Deer, Bear, Elk, Antelope and yes even a Javelina will taste great. Growing up back east My father and Uncle would Gut, drag, Hang and then skin, sometimes the skin would be left on for a week and this was in cold below freezing conditions. The meat was always RANK and tasted like crap. Try the Alaskan method, once you try the meat you will never gut an animal again!

I don't hang or skin or gut. I lay them on the tailgate cut the from neck down the spine to the back side of the hind quarter and peel hid over the hind quarter and over the front shoulder. Take out the shoulders, hindquarters, blackstraps, and tenderloins. Then I will leave them on ice 1-2 weeks. Don't skin or gut.