How 'bout scopes that disappointed?

Vortex crossfire ii - held up to 8 shots with a 30-06 until it sounded like rocks in a popcan inside there. (ya ya I know china made)
Vortex HST - debris in the reticle from factory
Vortex HSLR- elevation turret stripped on a subzero coyote hunt after returning it to zero. I sent it in, they sent it back with a reticle that looked like a nike swoosh symbol :) after having that kindof lack of quality control I was done with them.

warranty work was very quick however, but I need something to hold up.

leupold:
vx1 3x9-zoom lever froze
vari xiiC 4-12- would not track, would not return to zero, blurry around edges while looking through. (leupold sent me a new vx2 with M1 dials as replacement) the replacement is great, tracks perfectly, holds zero, and returns to zero after full dial up. I'm surprised!
vx2 6-18 AO target-windage turret wouldn't track.
vx2 6-18 parallax wouldn't focus.

leupold also fixed everything no issue, much slower turn around time then vortex.
I haven't had any issues out of my vx3 LR. (fingers crossed)

Ive stayed with leupold for the clarity over vortex. now I have to save every penny for an NXS.

BSA, everything from them but the Sweet .223 was absolutely the worst.
China made ebay specials, just 100% garbage. No feature or aspect was without substantial flaw.
Nikon Monarch - durability problems otherwise pretty good.
Anything that comes in a blister pack.

Vortex Viper HS LR, lots of peripheral distortion, sent it back, the one they sent to me was only slightly better. Sold the scope, I'm done with Vortex.

Vortex Viper HS LR, lots of peripheral distortion, sent it back, the one they sent to me was only slightly better. Sold the scope, I'm done with Vortex.

You guys are reminding me about my experience with Simmons. I traded to a guy for one and the first time I twisted the magnification ring it went out of focus and had to be sent in for repair. I asked if I could up grade to the next one for a few more dollars. I did this four times upgrading each time and the same thing happened every time. The last time I sold it while it was still in the shrink wrap.

You guys are reminding me about my experience with Simmons. I traded to a guy for one and the first time I twisted the magnification ring it went out of focus and had to be sent in for repair. I asked if I could up grade to the next one for a few more dollars. I did this four times upgrading each time and the same thing happened every time. The last time I sold it while it was still in the shrink wrap.

I have a Simmons scope from 1985, when they were made in Japan. It still is a great scope. Very clear and has stood the test of time with over 2,000 rounds thru a 7 Mag. They sure don't make them the way they used too...

I have a Simmons scope from 1985, when they were made in Japan. It still is a great scope. Very clear and has stood the test of time with over 2,000 rounds thru a 7 Mag. They sure don't make them the way they used too...

Speaking of Japan hahaha,
I had a old Tasco 6-24 power Japanese scope.
I sold it and "upgraded" to a Nikon...
It wasn't a upgrade.

Vortex HSLR. When it worked, it worked. When it broke it was completely useless. They sure did send me new one fast though. Their customer service is outstanding. I had to giggle on the second new scope they sent me however...My elevation turret stripped out similar to another poster on this thread. I sent it in with an explanation of what was wrong with it. They sent me back a new scope, but they claimed the reason the elevation turret stripped was because my rings were too tight??? That was suspect, especially given when I torque my rings I put the wrenches indicator right between the 15 and 20 in lb mark and torque accordingly. Which should be in vortex's scope spec.

My Nightforce NXS is still disappointing to me. It's a good scope but it comes up short of the NF hype. I have multiple VX-3, Mk 4 and Sightron SIII scopes which are optically better. My buddy's NXS in only marginally better. My ATACR is spectacular though!

Like the title asks, how 'bout scopes that disappointed?

Had a Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10 that suddenly, and for no reason I could determine, lost zero. When attempting to re-zero, would not track correctly. I sent it to Zeiss and they returned it with a clean bill of health but I had no confidence in it after that, so sent it down the road.

John

I've had to have the magnification ring changed out on two of my older Leupold vari-x III's due to tightness. Customer service was great...quick turnaround & no questions.

I've also had 2 Burris signature series go back due to debris in the reticle after just a few rounds. Again, great customer service & quick turnaround.

No problems with the 5 zeiss conquest's I own

BSA Varmint scope on a 17 HMR. Took it out once on a squirrel hunt and it completely ruined the hunt. I think the heavy recoil of the 17 was knocking it off zero. :rolleyes: BSA is absolute crap. No issues with my nikons though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.