How about a 300 Win Mag “Modified”?

I love the 300WM and have been shooting it for years. Gotta admit two things I don't like are the belt and the short neck. Any such thing or any way to eliminate the belt and lengthen the neck? I don't want to move up to the R.U.M. Because the WM burns enough powder as it is and supplies all the power and distance I want.
You just described 30 Nosler

The 300 Prc is 96 H2O cap
the 300 win mag in norma brass is 95 h20 cap
The 30 Nolser is 99gr cap H20

The PRC is Hornady way of selling you a 300 win mag again!!
even thought the 300 win mag has been doing the same thing for god knows how long LOL!

But the 300PRC allows for bullet seating much farther out of the case resulting in more room for powder. Especially the larger more ballistic friendly bullets. Below is the Win Mag (L) and the PRC (R) loaded to SAMI spec.

image.jpg

But the 300PRC allows for bullet seating much farther out of the case resulting in more room for powder. Especially the larger more ballistic friendly bullets. Below is the Win Mag (L) and the PRC (R) loaded to SAMI spec.

View attachment 133130

and yet its stretched to absolute max and designed from the ground up as the new hotness utilizing every aspect of design and usability sammi form and it still doesn't out perform the ole girl!!

Last edited:
it doesn't get more apples to apples to apples than comparing where a cartridge is going to start at as far as case volume!

I was simply bringing facts to the table not a guesstimate!
I don't think I have ever seen someone respond to such a short statement and still completely miss the point of that statement.

I love the 300WM and have been shooting it for years. Gotta admit two things I don't like are the belt and the short neck. Any such thing or any way to eliminate the belt and lengthen the neck? I don't want to move up to the R.U.M. Because the WM burns enough powder as it is and supplies all the power and distance I want.

Don't be concerned about the 300 RUM using more powder it's more than worth it with the results that you will get , .I load all of these for it : 165gr., 180gr. and 200gr. and I can choose from a variety of powders and amounts to get great Accuracy, Velocity, Ballistics and Distance.

Whatever you decide I hope it turns out the way you want it to.

When I was looking for a 300 last year, I looked at all of them. The 30 Nosler looked to be the most efficient Cartridge out there, to me. 300 WM and 300 Wby have proven track records around the Globe. The 30 Nosler tops the WM and equals the WBY. The 300 RUM & 30-378 WBYs are marginally faster than the 30 Nosler, but have to burn 20% more powder for 5% velocity gain, have Magnum Length Actions and have passed the point of diminishing returns, again, to me. Hornady tweaked Nosler's Cartridge a bit and hung the PRC brand on it (who doesn't love a Precision Rifle Cartridge?). There's not a bit of difference really between the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC, or the 300 Wby for that matter but it's a belted round and the OP doesn't want the belt (don't blame you). Right now, given your parameters, the choice is the 30 Nosler or the 300 PRC. 30 Nosler has ADG Brass but I expect the 300 PRC will be available in that brand too if it becomes more popular. Until then you will be relegated to Hornady Brass, but I don't think that's as bad a thing as some here make it out to be. You'll be happy with either one.

The developers of the more modern magnums such as the 300 WM and 7mm Rem knwe that belts were unnecessary, but put a belt on anyway for marketing reasons thinking that buyers expected a belt on magnums because of the 300 H&H from 1925.
I have never owned a 300 WM, but shot and reloaded a 7mm Rem. in a 700 Rem. for years. The belt caused the cartridges to cant in the magazine to the point that the gun would NEVER feed without giggling the cartridges between shots. Fortunately the gun shot well enough that a followup was rarely necessary.
I switched to 300 WSM and between no belt and less tapered cases my Browning always feeds the cartridges. The 300 WSM may not be for you, but I would avoid belts. There are too many good choices that don't have belts.

The developers of the more modern magnums such as the 300 WM and 7mm Rem knwe that belts were unnecessary, but put a belt on anyway for marketing reasons thinking that buyers expected a belt on magnums because of the 300 H&H from 1925.
I have never owned a 300 WM, but shot and reloaded a 7mm Rem. in a 700 Rem. for years. The belt caused the cartridges to cant in the magazine to the point that the gun would NEVER feed without giggling the cartridges between shots. Fortunately the gun shot well enough that a followup was rarely necessary.
I switched to 300 WSM and between no belt and less tapered cases my Browning always feeds the cartridges. The 300 WSM may not be for you, but I would avoid belts. There are too many good choices that don't have belts.
The reason those have belts is because they were made from the .300 H&H, which derived from the .375 H&H prior to 1925. It was pointless to remove/rebate the belt, as it makes for an easy way to headspace the case.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.