Hornady Hydro Dies

reed mosser

I recieved my 243 ackley hydro dies. A after messing with them for a couple of days I am very happy with there performance. The cases are just about fully formed all they need is the shoulders squared off. I think the hydro dies are a good idea one less firing on the case and you are not resizing the case one time. I'm going to try to build my own hydro die for my 22 dasher. I'll keep you posted.

Reed,

That is good to hear. Richard Graves and I tested one of those chambered for his 277 Allen Mag. On a case that large and heavy(338 Lapua) there was no chance at all it would form the cases to the point where it was useful.

Hornady was concerned about this and offered to refund the cost if it did not work and they did so one can hardly complain about the service.

At the time, both Richard and myself thought the die would work well on the smaller diameter, thinner case walled rounds and your tests show the results!!

Only thing I did not like was pounding on the cases in my press. I think if you made up a solid fixture that the die could mount to it would be a much better idea then pounding on the links of a loading press.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

I bought a 243 ackley die to form my 22-243 ackley brass. Maybe if you formed the brass in a 338 laupa imp die same specs as your 277 allen and necked them down after words. it might work better with a larger bore diameter. I think the dies work good but there are quite a few things you could do to improve them. I am going to try to make my own for hydro die for my 22 dasher. I'll let you know how it works. I think they are a great idea and that they can work with big cases, it may just need tweaked a bit. If any one needs some forming dies you do fifty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.