Hornady Hydro Dies?

reed mosser

Has anyone tried Hornady hydro dies for forming wildcats? I know some one on this board was thinking abouting getting some for a 270 allen mag. I was thinking about calling hornay and seeing what the deal was. I just wanted to see if anyone has any real world experience with them. Thanks again Reed

Reed

They were tring to make a set for my 338 snipe-tac but the cases are too heavy and dont form well. I have never used them but the Hornaday rep said they work very good with standard brass. Give them a call.

Dave

Same deal for Kirby's 277 AM. Cases were just too heavy. Kirby said they blew out the annealed part just below the neck but that was it. I bet that case looked kinda funny w/a dog knot on it!!!

Yes, we tried them with Richard Graves 277 Allen Mag(338 Lapua) and they did not work well with this brass. They did round the shoulder out slightly but not enough to do any good.

ALso, you beat the HELL Out of your press trying to form the cases.

If they designed a cradel support that you could sit on an anvil or something like that they would work much better but beating on your press like that is like beating your wife or child, not for me!!!

Corn meal is cheap and easy to use so that is what I recommend, you get 90-95% formed cases as well that are suitable for full tilt accurate loading as well. With the hydro form dies you will still need to fireform to sharpen the shoulders.

It is a good idea and in the smaller rounds with thinner case walls it may work very well but not with the big stuff. I do not recommend them for any of my Allen Magnums.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the input. If it seems to be to good it usually is. I was thinking about using them to make 22 dasher and 22-243 ackley brass. But that laupa brass is tough I will probably run into the same problem. Thanks for the word of advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.