Painting or hydro dipping a rifle stock?

pyroducksx3

I have a mcm a-5 and was thinking of having it hydrodipped in a multicam pattern. Does anybody have any experience with the durability of these hydrodipped jobs compared to painting? Thank you

I have a beautiful benchrest stock hydro dipped by Liquid Illlusions in Chambersburg, PA back in July. I have a pic in My Pictures folder, but cannot copy and paste it for some reason. I have had many compliments on it. Go here:Liquid Illusions - Home

PM me with your regular e-mail and I will send you the pic.

I had two stocks hydro dipped by Bell and Carlson. Bell and Carlson I had one of their stocks I got used as part of a rem 700 and had it done in freedom green. The other was a McMillan done in Natural gear. Sold the rem but still have the McMillan. It has held up to every solvent spilled on it.

There is one feature that I discovered that makes this covering even more versatile. You can write on top of the hydrofilm with a sharpie. It can be easily removed with CRC brakeclean in the green can. I messed around with several colors on top of the natural gear. By filling in some areas with green or brown I was able to wet a patch and blend in the color. If I wanted to change things I just washed it off with a few patches of brakeclean.

The natural gear snow might be the perfect candidate for sharpie coloring. If I ever do another hydrofilm that is the color I'd do.

I have tried to get them to do ASAT camo but so far no luck. ASAT has their own do it yourself setup but I am not comfortable doing it myself.

First pic shows original pattern

Someriflepics006.jpg

I did a fast pattern with a large black sharpie nothing very fancy but fun to change the appearance.
javelinahuntFeb2010025-1.jpg

I dipped the B&C stock that came with my 700XCR. It has held up very well. A couple of seasons of hunting and not a scratch on it. It only cost me $80 to do, and I consider it a great value. To me, it seems very, very durable. Every bit as durable as any kind of paint you could use. The only thing "better" in my opinion are molded in colors like McMillan and Manners offer.

Here is a link to the guy who did mine. Only took him about 2 weeks and the finish was great. I wouldn't hesitate to do another one.

Carolina Custom Camo - Hydrographic Dipping

Rifle2.jpg

Rifle6.jpg

I have a beautiful benchrest stock hydro dipped by Liquid Illlusions in Chambersburg, PA back in July. I have a pic in My Pictures folder, but cannot copy and paste it for some reason. I have had many compliments on it. Go here:Liquid Illusions - Home

PM me with your regular e-mail and I will send you the pic.

i just checked this out. very cool! I think ill get my coyote rifle done if he can do it in a matte finish. i just emailed kevin. Thanks for sharing the link.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.