Hornady eldm?

6DBB17C1-1AAE-47DE-8BC6-7EFBA0B99BF3.png

this is a pic of Yorke's testing with listed velocity in his wet leather test medium

38DD5BF3-416C-4042-8665-323BA01D557A.jpeg

I only shoot the Amax in several calibers (7mm, 260, 308, 300wm, 300rum,) for hunting. I killed an antelope at 934 with a 140 gr .26 Amax and it was DRT, i've killed deer from 250-530 with the 208 Amax and all DRT (well, one went 20 yards), i've killed elk from 60 yards to 725 with a 208 Amax and all were DRT. I swear by them. You can find all kinds of kill data on the internet.

I've read a bit about the eldx but I was wondering if the eldm could be used for hunting too and if anybody has experience with them? If so I would love to hear how they work on different animals. Maybe some pics and stories.

My question for you (and others) is: Why turn your back on years of advanced technology for a projectile of the same weight, configuration (external) and BC? This, all for a projectile designed to punch paper???

I know Sierra match bullets were used to destroy human targets in sniper ammunition but humans are not nearly as tough as a deer, caribou, elk or moose.
It was also my understanding that when hunting coyotes, having two holes in the pelt is detrimental when quality of the hide is considered.

My question for you (and others) is: Why turn your back on years of advanced technology for a projectile of the same weight, configuration (external) and BC? This, all for a projectile designed to punch paper???

I know Sierra match bullets were used to destroy human targets in sniper ammunition but humans are not nearly as tough as a deer, caribou, elk or moose.
It was also my understanding that when hunting coyotes, having two holes in the pelt is detrimental when quality of the hide is considered.

I would say, just because it was designed for one thing (targets) doesn't mean it was designed to fail at something else (killing stuff).

My truck was designed to haul heavy loads and pull stuff. It also drops the kids off at school and gets groceries pretty well and that isn't in a single Ford advertisement.

Do hunting bullets fail to punch paper, because they were only designed to kill stuff?

I would say, just because it was designed for one thing (targets) doesn't mean it was designed to fail at something else (killing stuff).

My truck was designed to haul heavy loads and pull stuff. It also drops the kids off at school and gets groceries pretty well and that isn't in a single Ford advertisement.

Do hunting bullets fail to punch paper, because they were only designed to kill stuff?

Your reply was hardly an answer to my question. For all intents and purposes you could use a spear to get the job done. My focus is on using the best tool for the job. Just because you have a hammer, not everything is a nail.

Similarly, you would be less likely to use a Kenworth truck with Cat diesel engine and Allison transmission to go get doughnuts than you would to use your "light truck".

Just saying...

Your reply was hardly an answer to my question. For all intents and purposes you could use a spear to get the job done. My focus is on using the best tool for the job. Just because you have a hammer, not everything is a nail.

Similarly, you would be less likely to use a Kenworth truck with Cat diesel engine and Allison transmission to go get doughnuts than you would to use your "light truck".

Just saying...
The Amax bullets have high BC, are very accurate and kill very efficently. I have seen more animals lost with "premium" hunting bullets that were designed to retain weight and punch one hole in and one hole out than I have with the Amax. The Amax goes in a few inches and creates a large wound channel, causing a great deal of trauma and thus a quick kill.

Don't forger, Bergers were initially designed for punching paper and some "Idiots" tried hunting with them because of their high BC's and good accuracy. They found the Berger kills very efficiently too.

You can shoot what you like but I shoot the Amax because I don't have to track things in heavy timber. When I shot other types of hunting bullets I rarely had things die as quickly as I do now. In real world tests I am now a believer. YMMV.

Konrad,
The 225eldM .308 boasts a G1 .777bc

They have a superior bc to the current eldX (and other hunting bullets) and have proven to be very consistent in expansion at all ranges and impact velocities for me
James

Thanks for all the responses! I thought they might work but wanted to hear from people who had actually used them. I got some for my 6.5 Grendel but haven't shot anything with them.

I have killed Whitetails with 140gr Amaxes from my 6.5x47 and 75g Amaxes from my 22-250. Both were extremely effective. The one shot with the 6.5x47 might have made 10 yards. The one shot with the 22-250 was DRT. Have also killed coyotes with the he 75gr Amaxes from the 22-250. Extremely effective on them too. My understanding is the ELD is same as the Amax except it has the heat shield tip. I would not hesitate to use the ELDs on game.

I have also had extremely good results with the Berger Hunting VLDs. Animals I have shot with them simply make fewer tracks after the shot than those I have shot with other bullets.

I really don't give a crap about what a bullet was designed for. I only care how it performs on whatever targets I shoot with it. A baseball bat was designed to hit a leather covered ball but it makes a pretty danged good club...

John

I used the 162eldm outta my 280ai to put a finishing shot on a big muley at 604 and also shot my muley at 658. Both were drt, and the bullet stuck in the hide of the far side and mushroomed perfectly. They are absolutely great for killing game in my experience. Shooting the 285 eldm outta my 338 rum and gonna shoot the 180eldm outta my 7ss as soon as i get it built. Anxious to see what they can do.

And yes i have used the 75amax on many coyotes, and it is very destructive to say the least....

Konrad does make a valid point. As an example, why would you choose to use the 6.5 147 eld-m over the 143 eld-x on game when the x was specifically designed to give better results on game. I think it becomes less of an issue with the larger calibers as long as they open up but the smaller calibers will benefit from a jacket specifically designed to enhance penetration especially on bone. If your rifle will only shoot the target rounds you may have to choose the lesser of two evils. All things being equal why not choose a bullet specifically designed for hunting. You may never see a target bullet fail but when you hit heavy bone at longer diatances in will become more likely vs those specifically designed for hunting.