Hornady eldm?

Well said Feenix. I am as guilty as anyone for using target bullets on game justifying it by the high BC or better accuracy. Even though I know better, I am contimplating using the 6.5 150gr SMK this year because of BC and great accuracy from my rifle.
That being said, by selecting an appropriate long range bullet design we will more likely experience the best of both worlds; penetration and vital organ damage. Rather than the thin uniform jacket found on most target bullets being used for hunting, jackets specifically designed for hunting will better maintain bullet shaft integrity on impact for greater penetration. Solid copper offers some of the best integrity and penetration but gives up a little BC when compared to some of the lead core long range options, e.g., Accubond LR, eld-x, scirocco.
Granted, I have found the target large caliber heavies like the 285gr ELD-M/300gr SMK 338 to be effective on elk. That much pointed lead/copper with a MV around 3000 fps will generally pass through heavy bone even when surrounded by a thin copper jacket.
Really, most thin jacketed bullets will perform well on deer size game and smaller but I have shied away from using any target bullet, <300gr or so, on elk.
Bullet design plays a major role on the effectiveness of smaller calibers and is the reason we have been able to effectively reach out with them on elk sized game. Companies have put a lot of research into designing hunting bullets to be effective at both short and long distances. We have had great success (one-shot kills) using the relatively smaller caliber 6.5 and 270 premium hunting bullets on elk both up close and at extended ranges. Why not use them when we can.
. You do bring out an excellent point but as you said it is still tempting! :)

Yes, Where my son hunts in Florida it is very thick brush and sandy soil. A deer can go 100 yards and without a blood trail its like a needle in a haystack. He is shooting a Vanguard Camilla. and it is ultra light. He is 13 and 100lbs. The 143eldx shoots ok and kicks like a mule. The 120eldm shoots under .5 with less recoil. This is why we started hunting with this round. After being disappointed in performance with the eldm we have since started loading our own with 100gr Nosler BT. He has shot a couple hogs with them with good penetration.

If you are hunting in brush country teach your son to do neck shots only with the light bullets. Thats how I was brought up used 90gr sierra hp in a 270 and was bang flop. neck shots meant nice clean carcass, no mess and no nasty blood shot meat spoiling when we hung the deer in warm weather. I also shot many hogs with the 90hp always in the same spot right behind the ear. To this day when I first see a deer I look at the neck and not the heart.

If you are hunting in brush country teach your son to do neck shots only with the light bullets. Thats how I was brought up used 90gr sierra hp in a 270 and was bang flop. neck shots meant nice clean carcass, no mess and no nasty blood shot meat spoiling when we hung the deer in warm weather. I also shot many hogs with the 90hp always in the same spot right behind the ear. To this day when I first see a deer I look at the neck and not the heart.
. Right on!

I only shoot the Amax in several calibers (7mm, 260, 308, 300wm, 300rum,) for hunting. I killed an antelope at 934 with a 140 gr .26 Amax and it was DRT, i've killed deer from 250-530 with the 208 Amax and all DRT (well, one went 20 yards), i've killed elk from 60 yards to 725 with a 208 Amax and all were DRT. I swear by them. You can find all kinds of kill data on the internet.
I have taken several elk with the 225 ELD-M in a 300 PRC. Extremely accurate, but very disappointed in their lack of penetration. Whether the shoulder or a rib, the bullets basically just blew up. Friends and family have had similar results. Needles to say, will not be using ELD-Ms for big game. . Definitely not designed as a hunting bullet.

I have taken several elk with the 225 ELD-M in a 300 PRC. Extremely accurate, but very disappointed in their lack of penetration. Whether the shoulder or a rib, the bullets basically just blew up. Friends and family have had similar results. Needles to say, will not be using ELD-Ms for big game. . Definitely not designed as a hunting bullet.
How fast were you pushing them? Here's my experience. 2 animals this year…hardly a sample size. 2 pass throughs and 2 short blood trails.

Attachments

• 18734CC8-5317-4437-B955-FA79B7450931.jpeg
    18734CC8-5317-4437-B955-FA79B7450931.jpeg
    873.4 KB · Views: 84
I hunted with exclusively with amax until their redesign and now I shoot only eldms for hunting. They have a better 'Berger effect' than the Berger's do in my opinion they're just not marketed that way. 7 bull elk and a bunch of mule deer almost all big bodied and mature ranging from 70yds to 811yds. Flawless performance, they really shine past 500 yds where a bonded bullet won't expand, just can't shoot bones

Getting into small stuff - the .224, 75gr ELDM at 3,300 fps from my 7.7 twist .22-.250 in one of my most used long range rodent bullets. Before that it was the 75 AMax.

Is that muzzle velocity or impact. If that's impact velocity I think that's your answer. Everything I've seen says they don't like really high impact velocity.

Both of my impacts were closer to 2000-2100fps
muzzle velocity. animals taken from 125 yards to 880 yards. Same results at all ranges. Impact with bone and no expansion. I supposed with no bone impact the ELD-M might be fine, but who has time to figure that out in a hunting situation.

Use the, 130 or, 140 grain or, better yet, the 147 grain, ELD-M for,.. Deer and Antelope in, the 6.5 Creed !
Some Hunter's, NEED to, PAY ATTENTION to what, the Bullet Manufacturer's,.. HAVE to,.. SAY about "use" and Bullet, SPEED !
The Barbour Creek guys, have tested, the 147 gr. ELD-M at, 500 and 900 Yards, thru, Hide Bone and 20% Gel ! ( IMPRESSIVE, results ! )
Before shooting Big Game, "Willy nilley" with, just ANY old Bullet, do some, RESEARCH,.. IT'S NOT,. "Rocket Science" !!!
And I'd try to, stay OFF the Bone with, the ELD-M's as they work, kinda like,.. a Berger !

Last edited:
We've killed quite a few animals with the ELDMs and they've worked great. This past week alone included a coyote ( .224 88 gr), mule deer buck (88 gr), mule deer buck (.284 180 gr), cow elk (180 gr).