Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Do the trajectory verification procedure listed in G7 calculations before any drastic decisions. They have a system that works. I live where i can hunt elk and deer all year long and use the G7 system, it works. The eld also work but will come apart and will tear things up.I am currently working on 300 win mag loads for my new NEMO ar platform and have had a few setbacks. I am interested in proven loads for the 300 win mag if anyone will share.

Do the trajectory verification procedure listed in G7 calculations before any drastic decisions. They have a system that works. I live where i can hunt elk and deer all year long and use the G7 system, it works. The eld also work but will come apart and will tear things up.I am currently working on 300 win mag loads for my new NEMO ar platform and have had a few setbacks. I am interested in proven loads for the 300 win mag if anyone will share.

Are you still planning on using the eld bullets after your terminal experience with them?

Yes i will still use them due to the damage they do. I shoot animals at all distance that i know i can kill them and have yet to have one walk off out of sight, I believe they will work on elk and deer out to 1000 yards very easily.

Sorry fellas, it might say in this thread but being some 120 or so pages I haven't the time to read all the posts. My question is, how accurate are Hornady's BC claims for their ELD-X bullets? I notice that the 200 grainer has a BC of .625 and the 220 grain has a BC of .650, however, it's the odd-ball 212 grainer that bucks the trend with the highest BC of .673!

Now, they (gun writers, forum members etc) claim that Nosler have over quoted the BC on their 210 Grain Accubond Long Range Bullet of .730, when, in reality, it's more like .620 (I've read). How accurate is the published BC on the Hornady ELD-X's, is the 212 grainer really the BC king? Thanks.

The BC for the 212 is higher for that bullet 212. The 220 is not as slick shape and Hornady wanted to make it a little easier to seat for mag length. The 212 is actually longer than the 220 also. Another thing to point out is the 220's have a lot of bearing surface in comparsion to the 212. But the up side...I seated to mag length like 3.65 in my 300Rum. 87grns of RL26 pushes then at 3023 average. For 5 shots I had a ES of 14 and a SD of 6 or 7. These were my first load work up and they shot about .7 inch group at 100yds. Need to take back out to see if it will repeat. Also going to drop the powder like .3 grns to see if the group will make the .5MOA. If it will I'll be satisfied if they are making the .5 and staying above 3000fps.

Hey guys, so the story goes I picked my cousin Derek up from college and the two of us went aoudad hunting. The first evening after about an hour and a half of waiting at the spot I figured would give us the highest probability of success a medium size aoudad stepped out roughly 21". After talking with me we decide to take it so no matter what he'd be taking one home. I ranged him at 205 and I elected to not do any sort of hold off. He placed the round from my 6.5creed perfectly in the neck/shoulder junction dropping it in it tracks. Here's the exit with the shoulder pulled off.
Kind of hard to get oriented looking at it but did that bullet pass right through the spine?

Golf ball sized exit wound?

It stopped right in the middle of the vertabrea. No exit. To be fair it had a fairly rough entry plowing into the shoulder then into the vertabrea.

Sorry misunderstood which aoudad you were referring to. Exit was about the size of a quarter. But yeah I understand what your asking the hole going through the spine is quite impressive.

Finally got to the range yesterday to chrono the factory ammo I bought, as well as get enough shot to have brass to reload for my new Creedmoor. It was a VERY WINDY DAY....20+ mph. The Hornady ELDMs shot real good with groups of .298" & .416" with two 5 shot strings that averaged 2747 & 2782 fps with Exterme Spreads of 57 & 29. The ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo didn't do so well with the best group being .712" at 2723 avg with ES of 44. Both were approx .005" off the lands.

Now that I have brass, I'm looking forward to trying different seating depths to see if I can make the ELD-Xs shoot.

My CM was shooting so good with 140 VLDs so I never ordered any 143 ELD-Xs to load. Yesterday at the range, I wanted to shoot a couple of fouling shots before testing some different VLD loads, so I used the Precision Hunter ELD-Xs......after putting 2 in almost the same hole, I fired another one for group(pic attached). After 200+ rounds, I guess my barrel decided it liked them after all....the attached pic is a .248" group. I had another group just slightly larger.....with an ES(6 shots) of 23 and 2752 fps average. If it shoots this good with the factory ammo, not sure I'll even bother to load for it.....I'll just use the factory Precision Hunter ammo along with my VLD & LRX handloads!

Attachments

• IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 61
Sorry misunderstood which aoudad you were referring to. Exit was about the size of a quarter. But yeah I understand what your asking the hole going through the spine is quite impressive.
That's what I thought looking at it but it's hard to gauge with nothing to really give it scale.

Vertebrae fragment badly when it by bullets traveling that fast so it makes it very difficult to gauge the performance of the bullet.

I shot a doe high in the neck last year with 175gr Accubond LR at about 90 yards and it almost cut her head clean off due to the fragmentation of the vertebrae.

My CM was shooting so good with 140 VLDs so I never ordered any 143 ELD-Xs to load. Yesterday at the range, I wanted to shoot a couple of fouling shots before testing some different VLD loads, so I used the Precision Hunter ELD-Xs......after putting 2 in almost the same hole, I fired another one for group(pic attached). After 200+ rounds, I guess my barrel decided it liked them after all....the attached pic is a .248" group. I had another group just slightly larger.....with an ES(6 shots) of 23 and 2752 fps average. If it shoots this good with the factory ammo, not sure I'll even bother to load for it.....I'll just use the factory Precision Hunter ammo along with my VLD & LRX handloads!
Very nice!

Since Hornady won't make .260 ammo I'm going to have to wait till I have enough brass built up to load some for the two new arrivals.

That's what I thought looking at it but it's hard to gauge with nothing to really give it scale.

Vertebrae fragment badly when it by bullets traveling that fast so it makes it very difficult to gauge the performance of the bullet.

I shot a doe high in the neck last year with 175gr Accubond LR at about 90 yards and it almost cut her head clean off due to the fragmentation of the vertebrae.

My dad shot a smaller aoudad a few years ago in the neck with his .270 and 130gr nosler ballistic tips, the bullet and vertabrea exploded backwards leaving a fist size hole in the neck with no exit.

I really would have liked to have had one of those round to have gone through the chest cavity to get a better feel but can't really complain especially with dropping the "big one" and the other one right they stood.

And to think I almost grabbed my 300 in place of the 6.5 the morning we got the big one, not sure how well the Accubond would handle a 3250+FPS impact. Managed to reason the spot we we're going to the shots wouldn't be far so no need for that much power.

Was wondering if anyone has gotten the muzzle velocity with the precision hunter 300 wm in a 26 inch barrel. I don't have access to a chrono. If anyone has this info it would be great. Thanks

Went back out today to verify the load from a previous loading day. load is as followed for 300RUM.

RL26=87grns...Hornady 220 ELD-X...Length is 3.65.(fits in the mag)..Primer=Fed215M...

This load produce the same velocity 3016 to 3023. Avg was 3020. All 4 shots were right at touching each other at 200yards. Need to take a pic. Now I need to see if the speed is close to the actual reading from the chrono. I'm only using a shooting chrony and it sometime seems to run a little fast has been my experience. If I had to guess probably these loads are closer to 3005 just based on my shooting data for my 6.5 through it, and then shooting at a distance of 1030 today. But any ways I'll take it since it was my first work up with this powder and bullet. I've never had it this easy...:D...As long as these bullets will shoot straight I'm not even worried about terminal performance cause the weight alone is going to knock something on its a"".

I emailed Hornady and asked them about the 225 ELD in the works. They wouldn't come out and say there was one in the works.
But they said if there was, it would probably need a 1-9 twist..
At first they said they had no 225 ELD in the works, until I told them I heard Dave Tooley used it in the the 1000 yard nationals. Then they sorta confessed... Sorta...:)

Projected BC is .745 G1

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts