Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I am wanting to try some of the 162 eld x in my 7mm, looking for some results of the experts any help would save money,time and wear n tear, also any thoughts on using them in my 28 nosler thanks in advance.

Good afternoon,

Has Brian Litz posted any BC/velocity numbers for the ELD-X bullets yet? I'm specifically looking for the 178 grain 308 bullet.

Thanks,
James

Good afternoon,

Has Brian Litz posted any BC/velocity numbers for the ELD-X bullets yet? I'm specifically looking for the 178 grain 308 bullet.

Thanks,
James

Not that I'm aware of. I did shoot some 178s to 1006. Published BC was right on. That said, it was one session. I wouldn't hold too much stock in it. 2550'sec average. 12x bbl. regardless, it's promising even if I did make a mistake.

Not that I'm aware of. I did shoot some 178s to 1006. Published BC was right on. That said, it was one session. I wouldn't hold too much stock in it. 2550'sec average. 12x bbl. regardless, it's promising even if I did make a mistake.

Did you use the new published BC of .545? If so that is a very impressive BC for a 178gr bullet!

3 shot group at 100 yards from my Gap-10 with the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with 143 ELD-X. Just over a 1/4 MOA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 81
KYpatriot

Couldn't make up my mind so I loaded up a few rounds each with the 212 ELD-X and US869, H50BMG, Retumbo and H1000. One of those ought to get me where I want to be which is on an accuracy node and in the 2,900 to 3,000 fps area. As I recall there is a node in the mid 2,900s. Once I get those powders calibrated I should be able to dial in the velocity I want. I'm hoping H1000 is the winner as I like it for temp stability and ES.

By the way, while looking up 300 RUM load data, I noticed that the latest Hornady handbook has the load for Retumbo and their 220 grain round nose crazy hot compared to Hodgdon data, Nosler and others. The difference is 7.0 grains!
I've been working up a load for this bullet as well. So far 89 grains of Retumbo at and average of 2923 FPS is giving me the best groups, sub 1/2 minute at 100 yards.
Going to try some of the new RL26 as well but that first load will be hard to beat...

I've been working up a load for this bullet as well. So far 89 grains of Retumbo at and average of 2923 FPS is giving me the best groups, sub 1/2 minute at 100 yards.
Going to try some of the new RL26 as well but that first load will be hard to beat...

RL26 is the ticket.
89-90 grains pushes a 212 eld-x from the 300 rum seated to fit the mag length 3080-3125 depending on the rifle. All with great accuracy.

Still waiting for some feedback on game.

There is a lot of experience with these on game. Gunwerks and Hornady did extensive testing on live targets before releasing the ELD-X. They do mushroom at 1200 yards and there was a picture of the recovered bullet but I will have to search for it to find it again.

Interesting. I did shoot 3 rounds loaded with the RL26 at 86 grains, COL 3.82 single fed in my Remington factory 26" barrel and got and average of 3063.....

Deadeye

How does the RL-26 group? It and Retumbo have very similar burn rates so RL-26 could work well for you. I ended up settling on 212 ELD-X, 97.0 gr RL-33, 0.060" jump, Fed 215s. That load shot 0.75 MOA at 3,030 fps with an ES of 2! (Don't expect it to keep ES that low but it is not a bad place to start.) This out of a 26" factory Savage barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.