Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I was wondering if anyone has some load data on 6.5x284 with the eld-x. Specifically with H4831cs. Any other powders will also be helpful if you have some insight. Thanks gentleman.

I was wondering if anyone has some load data on 6.5x284 with the eld-x. Specifically with H4831cs. Any other powders will also be helpful if you have some insight. Thanks gentleman.

Tried the 143 x in 2 6.5-284's. One a savage 111. All OEM parts. It to 51 grains of 4831sc and shot typical 3/4-1 groups.
Other one is a semi custom on a 700 action. 52 grains of 4831sc gave solid 1/2 minute groups.
Will be trying RL26 next in both. Talked the savage owner into getting a new barrel.

Until I see some actual results from recovered ELD-X bullets I'll be using the two bullet approach. I'll shoot the Accubonds for anything up to 500 yards and carry some ELD-X rounds in case I want to shoot farther than that.

Since most of my shots will likely be much closer than 500 yards I may just stick with the Accubonds.
The Accubonds are proven. The jury is out on the ELD-X bullets at closer than long range

Since most of my shots will likely be much closer than 500 yards I may just stick with the Accubonds.
The Accubonds are proven.

Nosler's 300 gr Accubond from a 338 Edge did very well at 50 yards , killed 5 water jugs and retained 133.3 gr with a nicely expanded slug

The Swift 275 gr A-Frame bullet blew up 7 water jugs then smacked into the trees 50 yards or so beyond and bullet was never recovered, will be doing the test again but with 12 jugs lined up next time around

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58
Hornady's 285 gr ELD-Match also did quite well from my 338 Edge at 3054 fps, blowing up 4 water jugs at 50 yards with 99.4 gr of retained weight, definately a great bullet for long range shots on game

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 69
The Hornady 285 gr ELD-Match was also very accurate with RL 33 and it was pretty easy to find a good shooting load with no high pressure signs

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 56
I just loaded some 7mm Rem Mag 175 gr ELDX. I seated them to 3.290 per SAMMI specs and my velocities (2300-2450) and accuracy were way off. I used Hornady AMAX loads using 4831SC and was expecting 2600-2700 fps. Later I measured max OAL using the Hornady OAL Guage and found that the ELDX was 3.490! So I was seating with a 0.200 jump. Could be part of the problem. I would like to seat them to 3.480+- but my mag length is 3.335. The ELDX has a long ogive. the Nosler Partition 160 gr has OAL of 3.420 with a shorter ogive. Back to the range to see if I can get better consistency. I am shooting a Sako A7 with 24" barrel and was shooting sub MOA with Sellier/Belloit SPCEs so I know the gun can get there. gun)

I know this bullet gets no love on this forum but this was at 3194 fps from Nosler factory loads in a 30" Bartlein, 50 yards on 1 gal water jugs, you actually get a mushroom instead of little pcs of copper and lead , similar velocity same test media, exactly the same barrels purchased as a pair, 30" 1:10 tw 5R Bartlein in light palma contour, completely different bullet performance/deformance

It gets plenty of love from me. Yes the advertised bc is highly inflated but it's still a great bullet.

I just loaded some 7mm Rem Mag 175 gr ELDX. I seated them to 3.290 per SAMMI specs and my velocities (2300-2450) and accuracy were way off. I used Hornady AMAX loads using 4831SC and was expecting 2600-2700 fps. Later I measured max OAL using the Hornady OAL Guage and found that the ELDX was 3.490! So I was seating with a 0.200 jump. Could be part of the problem. I would like to seat them to 3.480+- but my mag length is 3.335. The ELDX has a long ogive. the Nosler Partition 160 gr has OAL of 3.420 with a shorter ogive. Back to the range to see if I can get better consistency. I am shooting a Sako A7 with 24" barrel and was shooting sub MOA with Sellier/Belloit SPCEs so I know the gun can get there. gun)

Also....

I have found that specifically in a 7 mag specifically with h-4831sc, the data is WAY off. In 3 different factory 7 mags (one Remington, one Ruger, and one Savage) I experienced the same thing you explain with MUCH lower velocities than what the hogden data listed with a particular load. We were using a hornady 162 grain SST in the Ruger, our ending accuracy load was 3110 fps, Hornady 154 grain SST in the Remington, ending load was 3160 fps, and a Nosler 140 grain E-tip all copper bullet in the Savage, and we ended on 3150 for accuracy. These are all different bullets, but the one thing they all had in common with this powder, is that they all required substantially more powder than the listed max, and the listed powder charges did not match the listed velocities. I'm not going to state how much I went over the max, but if you are an experienced handloader and know what signs to look for, you can get good performance with H-4831 and a 7 mag.

Again, these are just my experiences, and every gun is different. Any time you work up loads, watch for pressure and go slow.

It gets plenty of love from me. Yes the advertised bc is highly inflated but it's still a great bullet.

When Litz tested the bullets, he came up with a BC that's right there with the rest of the popular long range bullets. So I'm with you guys, and think it's a very well made bullet. Nobody can take from Nosler their ability to construct a tough bullet that does what it's supposed to, as far as staying together..

Nosler's 300 gr Accubond from a 338 Edge did very well at 50 yards , killed 5 water jugs and retained 133.3 gr with a nicely expanded slug

The Swift 275 gr A-Frame bullet blew up 7 water jugs then smacked into the trees 50 yards or so beyond and bullet was never recovered, will be doing the test again but with 12 jugs lined up next time around

How fast did you get the 300Gr AB going and with what powder?

Until I see some actual results from recovered ELD-X bullets I'll be using the two bullet approach. I'll shoot the Accubonds for anything up to 500 yards and carry some ELD-X rounds in case I want to shoot farther than that.

The Accubonds are proven. The jury is out on the ELD-X bullets at closer than long range

Did you see the Africa animals that I posted? My buddy and I shot 10 animals under 500yds, one of them a big bull Wildebeest. Shot placement is key!

How fast did you get the 300Gr AB going and with what powder?

got em up to 2900 fps with H1000, loads were developed with WS2 coated bullets, started with the usual 90 gr for 2760 fps average and worked up from there until pressure, hot loads but safe in my rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.