Hornady brass 7mm Remington mag

FlGunner

I've been reloading for about a year and have only used brass that I have saved from factory rounds. Most all of it is Hornady. I do have some Winchester supreme nickle plated also. I have found that sorting my brass by weight has helped out a ton with SD and ES. I'm just trying to keep everything as consistent as possible. My question is.... Does Hornady weight sort their brass (100 or 50 piece bags that they sale) or am I better off buying Norma or Nosler who does. The Hornady brass has given me several reloadings and I haven't had any issues but I know I'm probably near the end of their usable life. I'm running Hornady brass 162 ELDx , 68.0 H1000, and CCI 250 Magnum primers getting a consistent mv avg of 2950 in my Remington 700. Thanks for any advice you guys may have.

I also shoot 7rm, I have 180pcs of FC brass that I am now on my 12th loading. This brass was got by buying factory ammo so, in fact they have had 12 shots through them and on load 13. I neck size for 4 shots then aneal and FL size every 5th. I originally started with 10 boxes but over the course I have ruined a couple annealing wrong, got 1 stuck in the FL die (wich ruined that1) misplaced a couple while hunting (in other words dropped) and the primer pockets on the rest seemed to be loose (by that I mean that the primers went in too easy), so I tossed them.
A few friends have been giving me brass over the years but since I don't mix brass brands I have been saving them for rainy days.
I use IMR7828, CCI 250 primers and any pill I can get my hands on
Stay away from nickel brass (imho it is not worth the powder) and keep your loads as consistant as you can

I've found the Norma/Nosler most consistent by far. Lapua if available in your caliber. I've had early loose pockets with Hornady and Federal. I like Remington, but it's sometimes difficult to find and not as consistent. A friend who I recently helped get started reloading mistakenly bought a bag of Winchester brass. Out of 50 he had 1 split neck and 22 were 5-15 thousands short of spec trim length. All the necks were not close to being square, this explains why it's the least expensive brass. Buy once cry once.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts