Hornady Amax

frostop

I have been working up another load for my .06 and have a good load with 168 Amax that shoots a half inch ant a 100. Well I was on there web sight the other day and saw that they do not recommend that bullet for hunting. Anyone know the reasoning behind this??

Frostop,

Hornady list the bullet for varmint/target/medium game in their reloading guide. Reason they seem contradictory in web verses book statements is that the bullet is traditionally for target, but lots of folks in the long range hunting world have come to discover that the thin jackets used on the Amax open up very well at extended ranges and explosive bullets are usually wanted for varmints.

You will see lots of threads on the use of Amax bullets in the forums. I myself am switching to them for target and long range use this year, just because, they shoot well for me, I can get a more reliable supply of them than Bergers, and they are priced well.

I would caution against using them at short range for game though. They be very destructive on shoulder shots and the like.

Ya they are not recommended for hunting but have seen nothing but excellent results with them. We extensively tested the 168s in a pair of .308s this summer on groundhogs. All shots were between 150yds-550yds. At close range they made a mess of the hogs but that was when we connected with the shoulders. At farther ranges, they left a pinhole entry but 1.5inch holes on the exit side and dropped them all dead as door nails. If taking shots on deer, I would try and keep shots behind the shoulder because if you hit them in the shoulder its going to tear that deer up! If you are not worried about meat damage then shoulder shots won't bother you. We have yet to shoot a deer with one within 500yds so not sure exactly how much damage they will cause, I'm just taking an educated guess from what we seen them do on hogs.

Frostop,

Hornady list the bullet for varmint/target/medium game in their reloading guide. Reason they seem contradictory in web verses book statements is that the bullet is traditionally for target, but lots of folks in the long range hunting world have come to discover that the thin jackets used on the Amax open up very well at extended ranges and explosive bullets are usually wanted for varmints.

You will see lots of threads on the use of Amax bullets in the forums. I myself am switching to them for target and long range use this year, just because, they shoot well for me, I can get a more reliable supply of them than Bergers, and they are priced well.

I would caution against using them at short range for game though. They be very destructive on shoulder shots and the like.

++++1 I can find 178 and 208gr Amax everywhere I have yet had to back order. The Amax is very accurate and not to mention CHEAP.

++++1 I can find 178 and 208gr Amax everywhere I have yet had to back order. The Amax is very accurate and not to mention CHEAP.

I agree, every A-MAX i have needed, I have found. Just ordered 2 boxes of 6mm 105s last night. At Cabelas and many local sports shops including Walmart, we have found .30cal 168s, 208s, and they carry the 178s. Hard to beat them in my opinion.

Wow, Thanks for all the reply's guys good info.

I used to use the Original barnes x and they updated that and the cost of them made me try other options. I have been trying the Berger HVDL in 168 but they are very finicky in my setup so I tried the Amax and immediately got a good group with good velocity.

Has anyone tried the GMX, I ask because I will need a good elk round??

Gary

I haven't tried the GMX. I wish they would bring back the inter bond its a well constructed bullet. But I think the 208 Amax running at 30-06 velocities would work well on elk. But I don't hunt elk so maybe someone will chime in on my opinion..

the gmx bullets are junk. my dad and I both shot elk last year and both bullets blew apart and did not kill either elk.

If you're looking for a good 'larger' game load in a 308, the 175LRX, 200 game king and 210 ABLRs are top notch. In theory, I guess the 190 ABLR would be too.

As far as the amax for hunting, I'll take them over most bullets when deer size critters are on the menu. At least at 308 velocities. They easily extend the 308s range since they'll expand at lower velocities. My only complaint has been BCs but their redeeming quality has been consistency and accuracy.

I haven't tried the GMX. I wish they would bring back the inter bond its a well constructed bullet. But I think the 208 Amax running at 30-06 velocities would work well on elk. But I don't hunt elk so maybe someone will chime in on my opinion..

I was checking out the SST Yesterday at the store which "look" very similar to the Amax, the box says that they have "interlock" design. I may try some of those in the 200 range and see what I get.

Thanks for all the replies, great information.

Gary

The polymer tip initiates explosive expansion. With the SST and Amax . They work well at long range but close not so much. Have you considered the 200 game king I think of it as a default bullet. When all else fails get the game kings out and get it done.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.