Hornady Amax

Actually I saw last night that I do have a few of those in my collection of bullets that I will try first, I only have like 10 bullets but that should be enough to get an Idea.lightbulb

Very forgiving, easy to get to shoot at mag length. And hits hard. If its the 200gr gameking I very good results with imr 4350..

Very Good! I'm using H4350 which is very close behind the 168 Amax and getting a half inch group.

I'll give that a shotgun)

I shoot 168 amax's at deer and pigs. .308 win running 2580 fps. They do major damage. Exit wounds range from golf ball to a little smaller than a tennis ball 50-200 yards. Try 165 nosler accubonds for an elk load. I have killed multiple elk with 308 and 30-06 pushing 165 accubonds in the last few years. None made it more than 75 yards. Nosler's are more expensive, but you are not going to shoot very many of them.

I used the 168 in the past but have settled on the 178 for my 308. It will give you everything the 168 will (if your rifle likes it) plus a better BC and a better SD for additional insurance of desired penetration. The 208 and heavy Bergers and others would be great too but I decided to use my 300 for those.
Take a look at this site & the handloading part in particular for the A-Max.
.308 Winchester (7.62 NATO)

I dug around and found some pictures on my phone from when we were testing the 168gr A-MAXs this summer.

1. The Top Left photo shows a direct chest shot on a groundhog at 250yds. It was looking at the shooter and the bullet struck it in the center of the chest. The damage was pretty violent but blew clean through it releasing massive amounts of energy but without fully exploding.

2. Top Right picture shows a hog shot in the back of the neck at 400yds. The picture shows the entrance wound, the exit pretty much blew its face off. Again this bullet made a lot of contact with bone but still did not explode but released large amounts of energy.

3. Bottom photo is the farthest shot made on a hog this past summer. It was shot at 560yds in the shoulders. As the picture shows, the bullet performed perfectly, it did not blow up and it simply dumped all of the energy into the body leaving an exit a little larger than a golf ball.

Attachments

• IMG951591.jpg
    IMG951591.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG953040.jpg
    IMG953040.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG953411.jpg
    IMG953411.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.