Hornady 140gr 6.5mm SST seating inconsistancies

How you coming along? Did backing the die off work? Nothing I hate more than having a rifle I can't shoot. LoL

It wasn't the die. At least not the base part.
I have given up on the 140SST's for the moment.
I loaded up the 143 ELD-X's and they all came in with-in .005 after seating....most were .001 with just a few rebels.
I may look into a ELD seating stem that I hear contacts the bullet closer to the ogive or just change dies sets as I am not getting the concentricity I was expecting...maybe I am expecting too much on that front. For now I just use the conccentricity gage to get it straight when they are out of spec.
The nodes aren't the same or as wide with the 143's as the 140's but the accuracy is there. The accuracy is actually there with both but the SST's were a pain.
The chrono's node search on the 143's could've also just been a bad day/brass issue so I am doing them again but narrowing it down to the range that was giving the best groups and ES. Still narrowing down the recipe.

Darrell

8B954E59-B1C7-4D50-802C-C0CCE5D80840.jpeg
D40C2F27-BF39-4665-9C3E-10D4D4213870.jpeg
It wasn't the die. At least not the base part.
I have given up on the 140SST's for the moment.
I loaded up the 143 ELD-X's and they all came in with-in .005 after seating....most were .001 with just a few rebels.
I may look into a ELD seating stem that I hear contacts the bullet closer to the ogive or just change dies sets as I am not getting the concentricity I was expecting...maybe I am expecting too much on that front. For now I just use the conccentricity gage to get it straight when they are out of spec.
The nodes aren't the same or as wide with the 143's as the 140's but the accuracy is there. The accuracy is actually there with both but the SST's were a pain.
The chrono's node search on the 143's could've also just been a bad day/brass issue so I am doing them again but narrowing it down to the range that was giving the best groups and ES. Still narrowing down the recipe.

Darrell
use these dies and you'll be good to go. It the black box set. It's Redding's deluxe 3 die set. FL for full length, NK for neck size and ST for seating.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.