Hornady SST

Spino

I Have a Tika .270 WSM & would like to ask what kind of experience anyone has had with the Hornady SST Bullets. I'm hunting whitetail in South Texas. Shots can range down the senderos 50 to 1000yds.. I'm only comfortable to about 400yds though. Thanks for any feedback. The bullets seem to be very accurate & I know that accuracy kills, but what kind of performace do they have on shoulder shots or even on hogs? Shooting the 130's.....

I hunt South Texas
Spino

I have reloaded for a friends 270 winchester for several years and the sst bullets have done very well on white tails. I would say out to 400 yards they are a very good bullet. On target performance is very similar to the 130 ballistic tip. I myself have not used the 270 sst but have shot allot of 165 and 180 grain 30 cal and they performed very well. Not to hard of a bullet and not to soft.

Spino,
I shot two deer with 7mm SST's last year. The buck was 200+ and I shot him at 485 yards. I posted it on here around December. It entered behind his left shoulder and exited behind his rib cage (he was quartering towards me). The entrance hole was a pin hole and the exit was about the size of a fifty cent peice. Everything in between was liquid. They shoot really good too.
Brandon

I have no experience with your hogs but I think the sst may be a little too fragile for hogs, especially for close shots.

I´ve shot the 154 sst on a 7rm, very accurate and works well in small game.

I´d say terminal ballistics are similar to a BT; the sst may be a bit tougher.

The SST should work fine for you on deer. Hogs, I think you'd be better off with a tougher bullet for close shots incase bone was encountered, however if was 200yards plus, I would think they should work just fine. These SST's can be a bit explosive at close range. I can assure you the SST IS NOT any stronger then the Ballistic Tip. Out of several calibers/bullets shot into wet newspaper, the SST's always lost there inner lead core and you were left with a little cup jacket. I have loaded 140g and 150g SST's in my 270. The 140's were quick to shoot, the 150g's took me forever to find a load. After a while, both bullets will shoot .5" at 100 yards. I'm actually trying to sell my 270 right now so I probly wont have any field results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I use my SST's in the 308 Win for deer hunting in Scotland.
Excelent accuracy and they perform well by giving away their energy into the game.
Not realy suitable for foxes as they split them into 2 parts.

Val

Give the 150gr SST at try. They will perform better up close and further out. I used them in a 270 at 2900fps and hammered a big 4X4 mulie at 100yds. exit wound was almost 3" X 3". A blood trail a blind man could find.

I have used a variety of these bullets in various calibres and they have always performed. Just don't hit bone over 3000fps and you will be fine.

I doubt a hog in the boiler room will give it much grief.

Jerry

Your guys are great! Thanks for the excelent feedback. I'm going to try and attach a photo of a deer that I shot with my 7mm Mag last year... 163 3/8", 14pt, 6 1/2yr old deer.

Well I just read into posting a pic on this forum. You need a server to post & pull the picture from. If someone has one I can email the pic and maybe you can post it for me?? I love hunting & do my share of game management....

Thanks Again!
Spino

hi all hear is spino picks

EastWestBuck.jpg

CalicheForksBlind010.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

EaglesNest013.jpg

EaglesNest019.jpg

EastWestBuck-1.jpg

EastWestFenceTripod-11ptsplit.jpg

thanks
Colin

Spino, those are some great Deer, is that ranch around Freer??? I have managed a place in that area and it looks like it >

300shooter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.