hornady sst

D.A.T.

i usually use tsx or sierra when reloading but am kind of looking for a little more accuracy and performance.at 500 to 600 yrds is there any advantage?im shooting a 721 30-06 with 24in barrel

I haven't shot the SST's in my stock Winchester 308 Heavy Varmint at 600 yds yet but they do average .4" at 100 yds in my rifle (180 grains). Looking forward to buying plenty more to try out at further ranges.

Hi

I have just finished a project .. I as very old 700 Mountain rifle re barreled with a stainless 24 inch Remington sporter regular take off barrel. The barrel was new from a gu that just wanted the action.

Boyds laminated stock fully bedded with pilars and a sear and spring trigger job ..

I am a bit of a Hornady fan ... so I tried 165's and 180s' in SST.. Groups were better with the 180s.. I did want to use the 165's for that extra speed..but accuracy was important.

In the end the standard 180gn Hornady BTSP interlock shot the same with the accuracy node only at 2650 fps I must say it opens up and works brilliantly on our sambar deer. I ran out of SST's and had 2 boxes of these interlocks thats why I used them. Using adi 2209 at 55gn and there is a Hogdon equiakent.. Faster was no good an accuracy was my priority. Just try a few loads and see what happens on paper..

Even at 300 yards the bullet opens nicley and is devastating..

So far 2 stags from two shots.. last one just fell on the spot. Love those Hornadies.. beautiful recovery

In fact I'm using 162 SSt's in my 7mm 130's in a buddies in .270. Never failed us on medium game.. so thats why keep using them . I'm not worried about meat damage!

My new custom Edge will be firing 250gn Hornadies BTHP Match and 225 SST's untill I can get hold of the Berger 300 gn pills in Australia.

Since you are shooting at 600 the heavy bullet slows up pretty well in the 06.. I have limited it to 300 yards or there abouts.. Sambar are quite a big animal and they need good knock down power a bit like elk.. my number is 1800 ft lbs or more..otherwise get a magnum.. Big stags are just too hard and tough to chase in our high country.

I would have no issue using a SSt on any game... past 200 even better as this is where they perform.. 100 in a box is good value!

My only complaint with the SST and every other non bonded bullet is sometimes when pushed at 2900fps or faster is their tendency to handgrenade, then lacking penetration. So I load SST's for open country hunting, bonded core for areas where shots are usually under 200 yards. Perfect partners are the SST and Interbond.

I recently reloaded sst for and old Browning abolt. Its been re stocked and glass bedded boyds thumb hole laminate, 2 lb timney trigger spring installed. shoots .30 at 100 yd 3 shot group. Havent tried on deer or hogs yet but will soon our season opened aug 15. 150 gr sst 52 gr Imr4064 hornady case WLR primer. this is 1.6 gr below max. [ 2900 fps muzzle veolicty according to hornady manual.]

Wildhog, what are you running them through? I have a load using 47 grains of 4064 for my .308 that chronos at 2800 fps. With three shot under 5/8" not bad for a sporter weight barrel.

My buddy has shot several Co. elk with a 300WSM using 165SST Hornady bullets. He said they were all pass through shots on a couple of cows and a bull. I don't remember the ranges he shot them at though.

I just joined and found this thread. I shoot a Sig SHR .30-06, factory stock, trigger & bedding, 22" barrel. I load 57.3 grains of IMR 4350 with the 165 gr. SST @ 2900 fps. My groups are .40" at 100 yards and 1.20" at 300 yards (actual). I shot one deer (doe, approx. 190#) at 175 yards (4785' elevation) - my first bang-flop! I hit her between the spine and the shoulder and never found the bullet or fragments. The exit would was slightly larger than the entry.

I use the 180 Interbond for elk with great success, but only group about .750" at 100 yards and 2.4" at 300. I just loaded some 180 SST for better flight path in a cross wind (the 165 is a bit cross wind intolerant). The 180 SST is 57.6 grains of RL-17 and I'm getting 2694 fps from the chrony, with groups of .60" at 100 yards (6009' elevation).

I think the SST is a bit thin-skinned for large game, but devastating on deer and hogs.

MY 300 wsm shoots 180 sst. at 3076 fps. 3/4 in. my handloads. In wet phone books they are 3/4 of an inch and 97 to 123 grains. I cut one in half the jacket is 50% more than 180 interlocks. I would not think twice about shooting elk with them. I have been using 190 hornady btsp. for elk the jacket is also 50% more. The 190s. upset bulls on impact, no bull has gone more than ten ft. I have been hunting elk for 38 years in 6 states always great terminal performance bullets.

Nice to hear that Colorado. I've been told the SST is too thin for elk, but I've read a number of posts, including yours that contradict that. You are moving about 400 fps faster than I am (with much higher energy) so I don't know if I'll get the same terminal results with a .30-06 and SST combination as you do. But I am simply impressed with the SST!

Sniper The SST will work very well in your 30-06. At a lower Vel. the bullet should have good terminal performance. Custom bullets for the most part are built for mags not 30-06. I have killed more than one bull with the 30-06 and no custom bullets. Choose your shot. Chuck Hawks has a bullet page, it is a good read.

I re-read your posts and have a question about the jacket. You stated the jacket is 50% thicker than the Interbond. While that may be the case, it's not bonded to the core. Do you think separation will be an issue? I'd prefer a heart/lung shot over a shoulder shot and that's where the SST should shine. If I do hit a lot of bone, OTOH, I'd think the Interbond would have the advantage. Thoughts?

I did not go back and look but I ment to say 50% thicker then a interlock jacket. FYI most people do not know that 165 Ballistic Tips are twice as thick as 150s in the rear 1/2 of the jacket and 180 look just like a Accubond jacket. Cut one in half you will see they are very well built.

Wow! Life is a learning process and I just learned something new. Thanks! I love the SST bullet and like the way the 180 SST shot in my rifle. I use the 165 for deer and other thin-skinned critters. The 180 delivers more than I expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.