Hornady 140gr 6.5mm SST seating inconsistancies

I shoot a lot of different bullets and have none vary enough to make a .025 variance in seating depth. Maybe try another seater brother. I mean I don't want to make people mad but Lee is not exactly a high end die maker from the ones I have used, could have just had bad ones which is also a possibility.

I hear ya but I have used this same set before and never had this issue. Best I can tell it either
1) the dia. of the bullet is different at the point where the stem touches or
2) the distance from the ogive to the point the stem touches the bullet varies.

All I can say for certain is that almost all of the seated rounds had a different CBTO with .025" being the difference from longest to shortest. And when done ith 123 SST the difference was. 005 and ELD-X it was .001.....

Darrell

Just to confirm that it was the bullets I just loaded 24 140 gr ELD-X, about half were perfect 40% were .002-.003 long and a couple were about.004-.005 long.

Darrell

A bullet comparator tool is the only way to properly measure a bullets base to ogive.

All bullets will vary 2-3 thou in base to ogive measurements. This is why some Benchrest shooters sort their bullets. If you have a good wide powder node sorting is not necessary.

A bullet comparator tool is the only way to properly measure a bullets base to ogive.

All bullets will vary 2-3 thou in base to ogive measurements. This is why some Benchrest shooters sort their bullets. If you have a good wide powder node sorting is not necessary.

Not ALL bullet are off that far off The 143 ELD-X are within .001....At least the 8 I pulled from the box randomly were. The 123 SST's were .005 so it depends on the quality of the bullet.

Darrell

Try weighing those SSTs and you'll see why I use mostly Berger Bullets. You'll probably see a variation of up to +- .4 grain. I weighed the Bergers and saw either +-.1 or exact weight as advertised.

I did, And your right, They varied just about that. BUT if I run the weight difference through the JBM trajectory simplified calculator I get the exact same drop at 1000 yds (140gr vs 140.4 gr) so is it REALLY that big of a problem unless you in a championship?

Darrell

I shoot a lot of different bullets and have none vary enough to make a .025 variance in seating depth. Maybe try another seater brother. I mean I don't want to make people mad but Lee is not exactly a high end die maker from the ones I have used, could have just had bad ones which is also a possibility.
SST and similar ballistic bullets can bottom out sooner in the the seating stem due to longer sleek profile of the nose bullet that can prevent the bullet from fully resting on the ogive. RCBS and Redding make custom seating stems.
Quality brass is a must. Nosler, Lapua and Norma are great. Hornady brass is some of the most.

First of all everyone needs to remember that the SST is a lead core hunting bullet. There will always be slight variations in the lead core density. Point four (.4) of a grain variation is very good and is really going to make stuff all difference down range and I and my clients that I load for find them to be extremly accurate.

As for the seating depth variation I modified my seater stem so that it engages the projectile farther down on the ogive closer to the bearing surface. The closer the more consistant the diameter the more consistant the seating depth. The projectle seating depth variation is closer to .002 inch over 100 loaded rounds.

Neck tension can also cause variation if you have a compressed load so keep that in mind also.

Happy hunting.

Hey all I have a question.

I am using Hornady 140 gr 6.5mm SST #26302 and am having serious inconsistencies in seating depth. To the tune of .025" ish.

I am using the Lee seating die on a full frame single stage press, it isn't the press for sure. Where the seating stem touches the brass is just past the poly tip/copper joint.

If I pull the seating stem from the die and measure the top of the stem to the base of bare bullet I get a variable of .025" or so.

If I use a Hornady .22 cal bushing and comparotor base the variance is reduced to about .004-5"

If I use a .264 comparator bushing I get a variance of about .0015.

Based on this I am finding the dia of the bullet where the poly tip goes in and the seating stem contacts the bullet varies causing my problem.

I used these same methods of measurement on Hornady 123gr 6.5mm SST and the Hornady 143 gr 6.5mm ELD-X and these bullets are with-in .002 total variable or less at all 3 points measured (poly/copper joint, at a .22" die and at the .264 ogive die) so I am 99.9999% sure it is the bullets.

I emailed Hornady over a week ago and haven't heard form them yet.

And in case your wondering the poly tip isn't bottoming out and the stem touched the bullet verified using a black marker witness mark method.

Is anyone else having issues with these bullets?

It wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't shoot so well once I seat each round individually by adjusting the seating die for EACH round..

Thought? Any other things I might be missing?

Darrell
All I can suggest is use Redding or Dillon dies. They are the top dogs in my book. Some people like RCBC. Not saying they are bad but do a background check on them. They made lanterns for the railroad. Oh wait we make reloading equipment. LoL!!! Sorry couldn't help it.

All I can suggest is use Redding or Dillon dies. They are the top dogs in my book. Some people like RCBC. Not saying they are bad but do a background check on them. They made lanterns for the railroad. Oh wait we make reloading equipment. LoL!!! Sorry couldn't help it.
Make sure you adjust the press properly. I've helped a lot of people and I find more often then none people are setting the die to close the the shellholder. Back the die off 1 more full turn and try that. If the shellholder is to close then you are mashing the casing and making the neck bigger than you know.

IMHOo I would have been happy to provide the remainder of he box so they can get some valuable info from it. And a new box would be fair trade.
You'r right, and more than likely I will. I think I was more put out with the guys attitude than anything else...He seemed to think the only way these bullets should be loaded is to the canalure and kept arguing with me hinting that was the reason they varied so much in seating depth.

Darrell

You'r right, and more than likely I will. I think I was more put out with the guys attitude than anything else...He seemed to think the only way these bullets should be loaded is to the canalure and kept arguing with me hinting that was the reason they varied so much in seating depth.

Darrell
How you coming along? Did backing the die off work? Nothing I hate more than having a rifle I can't shoot. LoL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts