Horizontal in load development

So 308 175mk 41-42 grs of imr 4064, coal 2.800. At 500 yards the vertical is 1-1/4 inch spread, that's the best node, but my horizontal is 3-4 inches. So I'm still doing load development, but I'm wondering will shortening coal help horizontal dispersion? I can't go longer due to mag length. Also what's a good increment to decrease at a time?
A three MPH wind....mostly negligible to you at 500 yards is minimally 3.85".....which is what you are getting....lol....so WIND horizontally

So 308 175mk 41-42 grs of imr 4064, coal 2.800. At 500 yards the vertical is 1-1/4 inch spread, that's the best node, but my horizontal is 3-4 inches. So I'm still doing load development, but I'm wondering will shortening coal help horizontal dispersion? I can't go longer due to mag length. Also what's a good increment to decrease at a time?
All things have a cause and effect, the question is to what extent, that my friend you have to find on your own with your load and rifle... just my 0.02 Merry Christmas, good luck.

Besides all the other good advice you have had there is another possibility I've heard of. From what I understand a barrel can have a spine. It has the natural tendency to "move" in the direction of the spine. I'm told gun smiths, (good gunsmiths?) try to align the spine to the vertical plane. I've heard other refute the spine of a barrel.

I'm not sure I've ever had a barrel with a spine that pulls one direction or not? I've been able to get my guns to shoot to the accuracy levels I need and I use a lot of barrel nut barrels and don't time anything, I just set the head space and shoot.

What does back away from powder node mean? My node is 41-42 grains
Try dropping down 0.1-0.2 grains. You sometimes find that when you shrink your vertical too much as you add powder it will at some point then squirt out as horizontal. Backing off a bit could increase your vertical a bit but shrink your horizontal.

You say Best Node, What are your ED,SD, AVG. at that range. At 500yds.,,,, Better yet,, What is that load doing at 100yds???? or 200yds???? With out that data, I would be looking into what Lionel L Johnson said.

What does back away from powder node mean? My node is 41-42 grains
He means back down on your powder charge. But, he also saying it will move you out of your sweet spot altogether unless you know how to adjust your seating depth. As far as nodes go. You have to graph out your load. Meaning.
Set Powder weight, Set seating depth Sample.,,,,, 47.6gn RL-26 seated @ 2260 CBTO. I normally load in .02 grain increments for a ladder test.. "FYI", I SHOULD of done this test in .04 increments because RL-26 weighs .04gn per Kernel." But it is, what it is. I will do 6 cases like this Because I already KNOW where maximum pressure is on the rifle being tested to find my Accuracy Node. This node will be slower than your power node, and the power node will be faster but not as accurate as your Accuracy node.( A lot of cases, both) You Choose which one you need, and work on the seating depth until you shrink your groups. I suggest you test this at 100yds and when you get a half inch group to a quarter and single digit SD, ED, And the Highest Velocity, with no signs of high pressure on the case or primers. Then you take it out to 200ys and look at your group and adjust your seating depth, until you achieve Low ED, SD, And High Velocity, Low Pressure signs. Don't mix up Velocity and Pressure up, their two different Beast. Pressure is not your friend.
When you graph out your powder measurement and the Velocity's you want to look for the velocity that sits between a low point on the graph and a high point at the far end of the graph,(Just on this Graph)" Depending on the type of rifle and bullets being tested." The ladder test that I am going to post Is a ladder test I did on some Hornady 6.5CM cases. The accuracy and power node for this load is RL-26, 47.6gn, CBTO 2260 Velocity 2974FPS was the final power node and accuracy Node, with out showing high pressure signs. I do not shoot hornady cases, I was board that week an wanted to try some thing different. Well I hope I didn't put you to sleep or confuse the heck out of you. I think I confused my self here in rambling but, this is how I do it. Here's a graph to really confuse you. LOL:) If I got any of this wrong someone will correct me. I need a good correcting every now an then. Good Luck Sir.
Screenshot (78).png

Last edited:
He means back down on your powder charge. But, he also saying it will move you out of your sweet spot altogether unless you know how to adjust your seating depth. As far as nodes go. You have to graph out your load. Meaning.
Set Powder weight, Set seating depth Sample.,,,,, 47.6gn RL-26 seated @ 2260 CBTO. I normally load in .02 grain increments for a ladder test.. "FYI", I SHOULD of done this test in .04 increments because RL-26 weighs .04gn per Kernel." But it is, what it is. I will do 6 cases like this Because I already KNOW where maximum pressure is on the rifle being tested to find my Accuracy Node. This node will be slower than your power node, and the power node will be faster but not as accurate as your Accuracy node.( A lot of cases, both) You Choose which one you need, and work on the seating depth until you shrink your groups. I suggest you test this at 100yds and when you get a half inch group to a quarter and single digit SD, ED, And the Highest Velocity, with no signs of high pressure on the case or primers. Then you take it out to 200ys and look at your group and adjust your seating depth, until you achieve Low ED, SD, And High Velocity, Low Pressure signs. Don't mix up Velocity and Pressure up, their two different Beast. Pressure is not your friend.
When you graph out your powder measurement and the Velocity's you want to look for the velocity that sits between a low point on the graph and a high point at the far end of the graph,(Just on this Graph)" Depending on the type of rifle and bullets being tested." The ladder test that I am going to post Is a ladder test I did on some Hornady 6.5CM cases. The accuracy and power node for this load is RL-26, 47.6gn, CBTO 2260 Velocity 2974FPS was the final power node and accuracy Node, with out showing high pressure signs. I do not shoot hornady cases, I was board that week an wanted to try some thing different. Well I hope I didn't put you to sleep or confuse the heck out of you. I think I confused my self here in rambling but, this is how I do it. Here's a graph to really confuse you. LOL:) If I got any of this wrong someone will correct me. I need a good correcting every now an then. Good Luck Sir.
View attachment 236258

I'm hopefully going out to test more with the crony, my best node., it was 5/8 vertical at 300 and around 1-1/2 vertical at 500. Everything else was wide up the powder range. I can't wait to go if the wind would calm !!

I got one of these too, but yet to put it together.

Video

I bought one some years back. I don't use it much for shooting because it divorces you from the shot so much and there are other factors such as getting the same sight picture each time. If you're really going to depend on it for load development, then you must tie the rifle down to it and put as much weight on it as possible and perhapsss a backstop so that it does not move at all when firing. Then get your sight picture perfect, then stand off to the side and pinch the trigger or use some kind of mechanical trigger detonator. That's the only way I can see it being used to zero out the effects of variance in the shooter's actions.

To the OP, you are doing great by accident if you got to this level of precision and accuracy without going through depth tests. Your 1.25" vertical indicates a darn good powder node. If you chrono it, I'm thinking you are at least in low double digit SDs if not single.

To the OP, you are doing great by accident if you got to this level of precision and accuracy without going through depth tests. Your 1.25" vertical indicates a darn good powder node. If you chrono it, I'm thinking you are at least in low double digit SDs if

Lol yeah I just started at 2.800 as that's the longest my box mag can go. I'm really hoping it was wind accounting for my horizontal! I'm going to crony some groups when I can

I got one of these too, but yet to put it together.

Video

I bought one some years back. I don't use it much for shooting because it divorces you from the shot so much and there are other factors such as getting the same sight picture each time. If you're really going to depend on it for load development, then you must tie the rifle down to it and put as much weight on it as possible and perhapsss a backstop so that it does not move at all when firing. Then get your sight picture perfect, then stand off to the side and pinch the trigger or use some kind of mechanical trigger detonator. That's the only way I can see it being used to zero out the effects of variance in the shooter's actions.

This is a good way to destroy your stock, if you're shooting anything with much recoil at all...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.