Hope I didn't make a mistake

idig4au

Happy New Year Folks,

I hope I didn't make a mistake with a new gun that I just ordered. I was in the market for a new long range mountain rifle for HUNTING, not bench rest shooting. I've grown up shooting Weatherby Mark V rifles and for the last 10 or so years, the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum has been my first choice caliber. The only problem with my current setup is that is weighs in at 14 lbs, which makes for a long day of hunting.

After much debate I decided to have Christensen Arms build me up a custom rifles using Weatherby Mark V action in this caliber and a match grade barrel. They guarantee 1/2 inch MOA accuracy. However, upon reading some of the reviews, I get the impression that most people don't hold high opinions of these guys. Some of these reviews are 4+ years old. The term "Watch your back Jack" has been engrained in my mind.

My main decision for selecting Christensen Arms was that I wanted a lighweight custom rifle with a specific caliber and action. I was not interested in any wildcat calibers like the McMillan Outdoorsman rifles and I am not a fan of 90 degree actions. Christensen Arms said they could build a rifle to meet my specifications and so far have been easy to work with.

Should I be concerned regarding their workmanship and the delivery of said product per the order agreement? Any advise moving forward and checking the quality of the rifle once it is built?

Thanks in advance.

Is it too late to cancel? If you can cancel it, I would. I have heard really bad things about them. If you can cancel the order, Get in contact with Kirby Allen or Fiftydriver on this site. He can easily build what you want and in the cartridge you want, too. I gurantee, he will build you a better rifle, and I bet it would be cheaper. I have heard of this company really being over priced for what they do. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like I hear many bad things about them. I am just reporting what I have heard.

+1 on Kirby Allen. I have seen the prices of the Christenson Arms guns they are outrageous for what you get. Kirby would give you a far better rifle at much less money.

I'm sure some of the other gunsmiths on this forum are comparable in cost and value, I just don't have first hand experience with them.

I would bail on the deal if you can............

That's it fella, don't hold back, don't pull punches. Tell it like it is........

idig4au, what a downer that turned out to be.......... Cheer up, the sun will come out tomorrow.

I concur with with the previous posts.

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. I wish I knew of this forum beforehand. But I think I am too far down the path of no return with my order as it was placed several months ago. What done is done I suppose.

I guess all I can do is keep my chin up and see how it shoots on the range when I get it. As long as it is as accurate as my other weatherby 30-378 which is a tack driver and weighs less, I'll be happy. The way I see it, the elk is not going to know the difference if it gets hit an inch off target.

From the few post I have read here, it doesn't sound like gunsmiths like to use Mark V actions as they can be pain to face up and etc.

And on the positive side, if the new rifle ends up not what I am looking for, then it gives me the excuse to go build up another one or part this one out. Just don't tell the wife.

I was not interested in any wildcat calibers like the McMillan Outdoorsman rifles

Just as a side note, the McMillan outdoorsmans rifle is chambered in 30-378 & 300 RUM and not any wild cats that I am aware of. I have first hand knowledge of these rifles and they shoot phenomenaly well. They are also cheaper if you order them direct from the outdoorsmans versus McMillan. Guys at the outdoorsmans and guys asscosiated with them pioneered those rifles before Wby offered the 30-378 and McMillan cuts the outdoorsmans a break. I would have owned one if they chambered it in 300 RUM back when I had my rifle built. They didnt then so I went elsewhere. Now they do. I dont have any regrets though, I have a real shooter.

Really. I was told by the McMillan guys that the outdoorsman rifles wouldn't shoot factory 30-378 ammo and I had to buy ammo direct from them. What gives? I requested more information such as case differences, reloading specs, ammo costs and etc and recieved no reply. Simple questions...I have bucket loads of 30-378 brass and that is a fair investment in itself...would be nice to know if they are still usable with their product. Needless to say, I was turned off by the attitude they presented. There is no doubt these guns would be shooters. Just not what I am looking for.

Regardless of the ammo issues that may or may not exist, the McMillan actions are 90 degree throws which I extremely dislike for hunting. So that threw out this rifle as well as the Lazzeroni. I am not a fan of the Rem 700 actions either. What can I say, I like the Browning and Weatherby Mark V actions. That is what I am used to shooting and have great confidence with their operation.

I think I am an oddball in the fact that I will not consider any other action besides the Mark V.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.