Just ordered a Jewell. Did I make a mistake?

sambo3006

I've been told that once I use a Jewell I'll be ruined for using any other trigger. Any truth to this?:D

You made a decision that will cost you. I made the same mistake and now I am replacing all my triggers with Jewell triggers. I also let a friend of mine try my rifle with the Jewell and now he is replacing his.:D

Unless you're shooting competition, you made a $100 mistake. Many will disagree with me. Most/many haven't tried a Shilen, either. If you can't shoot a 2# trigger on a hunting rifle,,,,,, it's probably not the triggers' fault! It has become a matter of "keeping up with the Jones".

Jewel is the gold standard despite cost. I talked my brother into a Jewel after he went with a Shilen many years ago. We were hunting in CO and lucky for me I was walking beside him when his 270 went off while he was carrying his rifle without his finger even near the trigger. Could have been a one time fluke, but I don't care. Had I been in front of him and had he been carrying his rifle improperly, it could have been messy.

Stick with Jewel and forget the rest. my 2 cents.

Hmmmmmm, I don't get it, high price???

I had a Jewel installed on a new build. Got it directly from Jewel, who shipped it to the smith. $173.00 total. Love the bottom safety. Love the trigger. On a many thousand dollar build the Jewel's cost isn't even a dent.

Having said that, had griz set up a remmy and Rifle Basix trigger on two different rifles an can't complain a bit. I've been adjusting, tweeking remmy triggers for 40 years and griz got it right the first time. I guess I have no trigger adjusting expertise.

Short version: You made no mistake!

Didn't see where the OP said anything about "custom build", Roy. My point not necessarily being in the price difference, but, in actual hunting use. Over the past 20 years of being 'in the business' I've never had problems, such as Derek M. discribes, with a properly installed/adjusted Shilen or Jewel. The trouble comes when not properly installed/adjusted . I hate to repeat myself here, but, "if ya' can't shoot a hunting rifle with a 2# trigger,,,,, it's probably not the triggers fault". The Shilen adjusts safely to 2# (I believe they advertise 1 1/2#). My personal varmint rifles are set @ 2 1/2#, my big game rifles @ 2 3/4# to #3. I have no trouble connecting 'way on out there' with either. I have sold and installed, literally, hundreds of both. By the way,,,,, I'm a dealer for both makes. I'd rather sell a Jewel as I make more money per trigger. Unless it's a comp rifle, the Shilen makes a fine hunting trigger. I work on lots of Jewels, Shilens, and Rifle Basix that the owner has installed/adjusted himself. Everything to being gummed up to crushed springs and tight pins at the hanger to just plain mis-adjustment. Any trigger, not adjusted/installed/maintained properly, can drop the firing pin unexpectedly. There's some fine print in the instructions of both triggers stating just that. There's some other info there that few bother to read or do. He asked if he'd made a mistake,,,, I gave my opinion. Sorry, if all he wanted was a pat on the back for his decision.

No sweat shortgrass, I always appreciate informed opinions. Actually it is going on a custom build, a Stiller Predator with a #5 Hart barrel and brake in 7mm STW sitting in an A2 stock. I'd like to shoot it out to 1000 yards as precisely as possible. It currently has a tuned factory 700 trigger but I'd like as good of a trigger as I can get. I've read lots about the Jewell and not so much about the Shilen plus I could get the Jewell with a left hand safety already installed. In any case, I think it will do the trick. I might have to check out a Shilen next time.

Shortgrass,

Didn't mean to get crosswise with you. I'm pretty much in your court on this. As I mentioned I have a factory rem trig and a rifle basix also. One is a carry rifle and the other is my first custom LR rig. The Jewel went on the 375 Allen Mag. I doubt I'd put a bottom safety Jewel on a carry rifle.

Alot of truth to it. Once you get used to a jewell, you will have a hard time living with most other triggers. There are a few others that are extremely good but most do not even come close to comparing. Jewell is the only trigger that goes on my Raptor LRSS and Raptor Stalker rifles.

Once you get used to a jewell, you will have a hard time living with most other triggers. There are a few others that are extremely good but most do not even come close to comparing. Jewell is the only trigger that goes on my Raptor LRSS and Raptor Stalker rifles.

Good enough reason for me. Sounds like I made a good choice.

my uncle has a jewel trigger on his f-class rig and to tell you the truth i didnt feel much of a difference other than pull weight between his jewel and the factory accutrigger on my dads savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua. maybe if i spent more time with it i might see the light at the end of the tunnel.:rolleyes:

No mistake there. You made an excellent choice. Just don't go to the range and shoot with the Jewell and then try to shoot your M1A.

I bought a Jewell a while back------------ Now I have 7, that's the only problem, once you have one, it is hard not to put one in every rifle you own.
Still got a couple more to go.:)

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.