Hooked on Airguns

royinidaho

After 3+ years shooting a 22 cal AirForce Condor SS I became disgruntled with the .218 bore. Pellets suck for anything but small things especially with feathers and slugs out of the 18" bbl aren't much better.

Slugs are a new thing in the psp world and bring things to the next level. However, most airgun barrels are configured for pellets leaving slugs somewhat lacking.

I shoot NSA 24.8 hollow point slugs at 0.218" diameter into moa @ 150 yards with almost enough power to harvest something...

With the dove and pigeon die off there's not much for high volume pesting in this neck of the wood it seems like a good idea to go for more high value quarry. Namely coyotes!

The need for more FPE and better terminal Bullet performance is imperative...

The AirForce Condor is a prime platform for those with tinkeritus and I'm a champ at that.

Started by turning to the lathe to improve the valve. Improved it enough to be useless for pellets but ok for 25 grain slugs. Accurate to 150 but low on umph.

Picked up a new unfired 223 Remmy take off barrel. Fired up the lathe again and turned the largest portion of the barrel to a 0.625". (Figure larger is stiffer and the Condor suffers from flex...)

Ended up with a fairly well machined 22 3/8" barrel.

Chickened out on a one piece 4 1/2" barrel bushing. Figured it easier to machine 2 - 3/4" bushings. The bushings with O-rings turned out nice.

Drilled an tapped the shroud in two additional places providing for 4 set screws 90 degrees apart for careful alignment of the barrel in the chassis and smooth free operation of the breech.

Scrounged a Lee 225107 single cavity mould from a friend, along with the furnace, couple of plumbers lead ingots, sizing press and .225" size die. Spent a evening learning about casting. Was fun.

Results ended up 38.5 grains after sizing. Used the lathe and tail stock to hollow point a few. The result is a hollow point 35 grain Bullet with one full turn of the tail stock handle.

Results:

38.5 gr 3000 to 2750 psi, pwr wheel @ 9. MV = 926-932 FPS

35 gr Hp 2750-2725 psi, pwr wheel @ 9 MV - 949-947 FPS

First shots a 20 yards were of decent consistency.

Tomorrow, if weather agrees I'll check groups and zero at 65 yards and check drops at 100 and 150 yards to determine bc.

Hopefully things will go well.

Looks like you are nearly duplicating a 22LR STANDARD velocity load after all your tinkering which is pretty impressive. Hopefully you can find the accuracy you need to make those coyotes nervous.

Zero'd @ 70 yards today just before the wind came up.

5 shots into 0.722" CTC, 38.5 grain cast bullets, 2750 to 2500 psi, MV 926 to 911 FPS.

The potential is there. We'll see about consistency.

Expansion will be the next question.

Am working on a fixture to turn the 38.5 grain pill into a 34-35 gr HP.

I'm having more fun than an old man should be allowed.

My 375 Allen Magnum is feeling pretty left out......

I'm tagging in, I really like my pcp and am considering getting a new one, looking at the FX dreamline lite 25 cal as I mostly hunt things pigeons/rabbits and smaller with mine, and like having a repeater and accuracy is a must. This seems like a way fun project though!! Do you have pictures? I would love to see it!!

Here's the deal on the FX Dreamline...

My son bought the Dreamline Tactical in 25 cal from Utah Air.

They sent him a target with settings details.

24.5 JSB @ 910 FPS and a bug hole group.

Stuck the scope on, 3 shots at 40 yards to zero.

3 shots @ 100 to validate drop. Drop was spot on and the 3 shots touched other.

Took me 1000s of shots to get where I am with the condor SS.

Bought some hay awhile back. Saw some pigeons. Asked if I could shoot 'em. He said hell yeah! Pigeons busted me. Saw a starling on a utility pole and ranged it at 73 yards.

He says, you gonna shoot at it. I said yep. He said no way!

Phttt ... thud ... . The guy went to Utah Air and came back with an FX Impact for Christmas.. I otta get a commission...

Will spend tomorrow morning ensuring I'm holding zero, it's been a problem with the factory barrel, check drop at 150 then saddle the horse, loose the dogs and look for a coyote in the 4" of new snow.

Oh, the FX 25 cal with 25 class pellets, (JSB or H&N) are plenty for yotes past 100 and of course with Nielsen Speciality Ammo and the new FX Hybrid slugs. There is plenty of accuracy for head shots with the FXs.

Sub MOA with the FX makes yote head shots doable plus enough FPE for heart/lung shots work. If they run it won't be far.

Been quiet due to severe neck problems. Am just to day back to where I can accomplish something.

Before the neck went wonky playing with the valve resulted on 946 to 930 FPS for 20 shots from a 3000 psi fill. Happy with that.

Built a moderator from several trips to ACE Hardware. Launched an end cap and a couple of baffles into the night sky. Finally learned enough to keep from clipping. Finally got it to where it's a decent prototype. The "real" version will be just fine.

Spent yesterday and to day rigging a tripod as I need to keep the ol neck pretty much perpendicular. Currently a decent cheek weld is nothing but pain...

Tomorrow, if the wind doesn't blow we'll see how I'm shooting.

The goal is night hunting coyotes and wish to determine my maximum range for head shots. I've made a practice coyote side view head with chicken egg in the brain area. Smack the egg should be a dead Yote.

I'll start a 150 yards and work back until I find the range I can handle. (Several groups show that hitting the head at 150 is reasonable. A brain shot is a bit iffy.)

Also attempting to get a through the scope camera working.

Should be fun.

Casting ones own bullets sure lets a fella recycle lots of air....

Completed second rebuild of the AirForce Condor SS. The first build patterned after the factory method of barrel installation didn't meet requirements. Was finicky as was the factory installation. Wasn't consistent in holding zero.

Came up with a new, for me, idea. Threaded the chamber end of the barrel and build a tubular "bedding block" that screws onto the the barrel. Pretty much the same as how a standard barrel mounting jog is but backwards. The block is 4.5" long and machined for a very close fit with the inside of the barrel shroud.

Set screws are used to clamp it into the barrel shroud. The potential is pretty good. group size is showing promise at my zero point of 75 yards. Will be fine tuning the gun and working with different diameters of projectiles.

Had to come up with a bullet sizing method/device that provides for any diameter I wish under 0.2245" which is the size of the Lyman sizing die I have. So far I'm made 0.2240 and 0.2230 but the build wasn't shooting well enough to see any difference. Things changed with some tweaking yesterday thus today's activities should show some kind of a trend. Hopefully for the good.

I'm reading liking how this is turning out.

Once I get this to where I want it I'll start the "real" project which is a 0.257 cal barrel. Then there will be no doubt of coyote body shots. I'm thinking the 0.224 is fine for head shots but may be a bit lacking for heart/lung shots. Guess we'll see...

And here I thought shooting ground squirrels with an older Beman was spot on:eek:. I've been looking at "bigger and better" since there a a lot of groundhogs that need to be eliminated "quietly". I wish I had your machinist skills to take on something like this for sure. Keep this thread going with your results and experiences. Really good read!

I've been doing some fun stuff.

Pellets are history. Found NSA slugs. Talk about awesome!

Gearing up for yotes. Been shooting 24.8 gr HP, Nielsen Speciality Ammo slugs slugs to 152 yards.

If it weren't 4 the wind she'd be sub MOA.

I'm thinking my max effective range is 125 yards with heart and brain shot being the expectation.

I'll show you son expansion tests I did the last couple of days.

See ya soon.

Was in northern CO last week and Wy ground squirrels were all over the place. Be heading back up there soon with my Ben. P-rod and Talon -P for some GS fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.