Homemade steel targets???

crittrgittr

I am just wondering what you are all using for homemade steel targets? I know you can buy them, but that's no fun. I saw a video of a guy using a farm disc so I think I might try that. Have welder, can fabricate. I also have read not to use mild steel as it can fragment too much.

I shot mild steel targets for a long time.1/2 plate.but now only have reg steel on one target at 958 yards. It has taken many rounds from big 7s,300,and 338 imp. It looks like hammered hen **** but works.But have progressed to ar 400 1/2 plate for all my targets from 280 yards to 1400 and every where in between and am very happy with it.the mild steel wouldn't hold up much below 800 yes with my setups. I do have a disk blade set up I use for mile shots but wouldn't use it much closer than 1200 yds. Just my thoughts.I think a 4x8 sheet of ar 400 cost me around 400-450 bucks and I just plasma cut targets and hang them on t posts works great.

If you have a construction company or implement dealer nearby I would try to get there used cutting edges off of road graders or front end loaders. I shot used bits off a front end loader with my 338 edge and it just smiles and keeps on swinging.

I am just wondering what you are all using for homemade steel targets? I know you can buy them, but that's no fun. I saw a video of a guy using a farm disc so I think I might try that. Have welder, can fabricate. I also have read not to use mild steel as it can fragment too much.
I've used a lot of discs over the years as well as maintainer blades. If you are using any sort of other scrap that's flat I'd strongly suggest mounting it at an angle to deflect the bullets down towards the ground and to help avoid shooting through it.

I use a cutting torch and cut my targets out of old bush hog blades nothing I have shot them with can knock a dent in them.

I have bought in the past 8x8, 10x10, 12x12, and 12x24 inch 3/8ths ar500. GOOD STUFF....but spendy when bought commercially. We just got a 5' x 10' sheet of AR 500 for about $500.00.......$10.00 per sq ft. Cheap fun!!!

We shoot through mild steel at 1500 yards with the 230 and 300 Bergers.

I use a cutting torch and cut my targets out of old bush hog blades nothing I have shot them with can knock a dent in them.
I have around 200 old bush hog blades and I could cut out some ground hog target like the ones in the picture if anyone is interested .

Here is a photo of our back yard pistol range to keep practiced up for the adventure / woods walk shoots we attend with .22's & straight wall Center fire pistols most of these are from steel I purchased at a scrap yard cut from a dozer blade between 1/2" & 5/8" thick. Some of the small animals are thinner steel. We can move back and forth and get back to about 70-75 yards if we want. I don't have a way to cut out cool shapes so I get what the scrap yard cuts out. We also have a couple horse shoes & rail road spikes to shoot at. The yellow painted targets are 1/8" and for 22lr only

20160710_181817_zps4ed7kpro.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.