homemade sonic cleaning solution?

tbrice23

I know SS media is supposed to be better but for now im still doin the sonic cleaning thing. Does anyone know of a formula I can make instead of buying the hornady stuff?
I tried to buy the bulk stuff hospitals use but when it shipped the jug got destroyed in a ups terminal in Boston! and I got stiffed by the hospital distributor.
Looks like simple green and citric acid might be what hornady use.

Any solution that don't create suds should work. It's no different than your wife (and mine) cleaning her jewelry in her sonic cleaner. My wife uses distilled water (no minerals) and dishwasher detergent and snitches my Lemishine too.... (she bought it so we share...lol

Is lemishine in grocery stores? Bathroom cleaner that has citric acid works well if you're only doing a a couple of cases by hand but if you put it in the sonic cleaner the heat from the cleaning action turns the brass pinkish.(even with the heating elements off).

Thanks for your reply ill try some.

Lemishine is at the dreaded Walmart and most grocery stores. Walmart has it it powder and liquid. I have the liquid. It's actually a rinse agent for automatic dishwashers.

We have terrible well water so it's distilled for us.

I have property in TN where I whitetail hunt but I live 1.5-2 hours from you . Ive always wanted to get a buck up there in Michigan. Did the whitetail blight wipe you guys out?

Last edited:
The longtime standard do-it-yourself ultrasonic cleaning solution for brass is white vinegar and water in equal parts. Don't forget to neutralize it is a weak solution of baking soda and water, and then a clear water rinse.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.