Holy crap im glad I hoarded

TowerMonkey

Just a gloating rant from a happy hoarder and a true believer in: buy it cheap and stack it deep.

It's been way too long since I've been here, approximately 3 1/2 years if I had to guess. One thing I have to say is that I am grateful I didn't listen to my wife about spending so much money on reloading components years ago. I've been busy traveling the country for work and haven't had much time at all to go shooting, let alone even think about setting a press until recently. Finally have some down time for a couple months and set the family back up at home and was able to go into my storage unit. I can honestly say I haven't made too many solid investments in my life but being able to pull out tote after tote after tote of brass, bullets and powder made me feel like I was robbing Fort Knox.

With the way things were, have and are going in this country, politically and economically I had to stop and just enjoy the triumph of being right. The grin on my face would've put the grinch to shame when she asked, "how much did all that cost?" and my answer was "not even half of what it's worth today".

End of gloating. I hope a lot of you guys have found yourself in pretty much the same situation of preparedness. Now for the next few weeks I will be plugging away and turning components into piles of shiny freedom.

It's not hoarding, it's called being prepared.

That was the boy scouts motto was it not? "Always be prepared"

Also a common saying in the military
"2 is 1, and 1 is none"

Benjamin Franklin said "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

Abraham Lincoln said "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

Or what about "hope for the best, prepare for the worst"

I could go on and on.

The problem with stocking large supplies is that you can get stuck with a lot of components that you no longer have interest in. New bullets come out every day. Higher energy, cleaner burning powders every week. Storage can also be an issue. Regulations aside, keeping large quantities of powder in your home has its own risks and liabilities.

Wouldn't it be nice to return to the good ol' days when we could just buy what we need when we need it?

The problem with stocking large supplies is that you can get stuck with a lot of components that you no longer have interest in. New bullets come out every day. Higher energy, cleaner burning powders every week. Storage can also be an issue. Regulations aside, keeping large quantities of powder in your home has its own risks and liabilities.

Wouldn't it be nice to return to the good ol' days when we could just buy what we need when we need it?
It's funny you mention the losing interest part because there was a couple buckets of brass that I have that I don't even remember why I bought them. As for the other stuff it's mainly the popular stuff: 223, .308, 338LM, .45 ACP, 6.5 CM

It would be awesome if we could go back. What amazes me is that it doesn't seem that long ago that I could hit the reloading classifieds and find 300gr Berger OTMs for almost 60% of retail and other crazy deals.

It would be nice if we could go down to the LGS and just purchase what is needed or we are interested in. But for now those are the good old days. Components allow us to pursue our interest (passion) even if they are not the latest in tech. Good going OP!

It's not hoarding, it's called being prepared.

That was the boy scouts motto was it not? "Always be prepared"

Also a common saying in the military
"2 is 1, and 1 is none"

Benjamin Franklin said "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

Abraham Lincoln said "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

Or what about "hope for the best, prepare for the worst"

I could go on and on.
I do blame the Boy Scouts for a couple things in my life such as being prepared and being able to tie a ton of knots and lash branches and beams together in a crazy strong configuration to do whatever I'd like.

"It's better to have and not need than need and not have."

Worst case scenario is ending up with a metric crap ton of valuable trade commodities.

Too bad none of us hoarded any gasoline. Just saw premium today for $3.99.9!
We did store a few drums of avgas 100 oct and no ethanol. Not for vehicles, but emergency generator. Self sufficient with all electric house, well water, wood for backup heat, freezers full, freeze dried food, goats and plenty of deer in the back yard. Enough reloading components to probably out last me. Only problem now is to get back to shooting and hunting hopefully by January 2022.
We went the "Prepper Way" years ago. Oh yeh and also have a stock pile of TP!

Too bad none of us hoarded any gasoline. Just saw premium today for $3.99.9!
Last week....
20211112_050453.jpg

I've been glad to have not so much hoarded as slowly but surely built up a stash. Having become a father to four kids in less than four years (twins make everything real interesting) has certainly slowed the rate at which I go shooting 😁 so I never come close to burning through my supplies and just maintain and sustainable pace of buying more than I use.