Bull Crap ! ! !

Amen!

Alaska hasn't heard of this decree yet. Probably never happen in this state. Too many gunslingers up here! :D

I'd suspect that Indiana has one of the highest CCW per capita ratios in the 50 states. There is a movement out to recall Judge David. The the state government was against this ruling, as well as 80% of the population.

But there is more concerning the events that brought this on:

It seems that the husband made a move on the cop, and the cop simply responded as he's been trained todo. Plus he still had no idea about the saftey of the other man's wife. Perhaps Alaska dosn't care much about domestic abuse, but they are serious about it in Indiana. In Greenwood the Cops will often cuff both partys and take them in to simply cool down. Then turn them loose the next day without any fines or charges if they are calmed down. The odds of a cop being shot in a domestic case are much greater than a bank robbery around here.
gary

I'd suspect that Indiana has one of the highest CCW per capita ratios in the 50 states.
gary

Do you need to get a permit in Indiana? In Alaska, if you're an adult and not a convicted felon, then it's legal to carry concealed. No formal school, training, proficiency testing, or permit is required. So there's really no way to know what % of Alaskan residents are packing.

I was in a Costco store in Anchorage about 8 years ago and a guy next to me bent down to examine a bed mattress. Next thing I know a small semi-auto pistol is bouncing around on the floor. He quickly picked it up and moved on.

Do you need to get a permit in Indiana? In Alaska, if you're an adult and not a convicted felon, then it's legal to carry concealed. No formal school, training, proficiency testing, or permit is required. So there's really no way to know what % of Alaskan residents are packing.

I was in a Costco store in Anchorage about 8 years ago and a guy next to me bent down to examine a bed mattress. Next thing I know a small semi-auto pistol is bouncing around on the floor. He quickly picked it up and moved on.

In Indiana they go by the same rules with the exception that you gotta be 18 years old, and need to apply for a permit (you can get a lifetime permit by the way). You don't need to attend any classes, but I personally think they should be forced to attend an NRA hunter saftey class.

But with reference to my first post I must ammend it! I had the chance to read the report on it first hand Monday. It's a little different from what I posted, and I'll tell you why.

* There was a 911 call made by the husband's wife (not a third party as originally thought). A police officer responded, and had words in a parking lot out front of their home with the husband. He grabbed the cop, as a second car rolled onto the scene. They handcuffed the husband while his wife came out with his bags (he was already vacating the property). The cops went inside to make sure she was alright, as well as to see if she was alone. The hauled the husband to jail to cool off (nobody ever said if he was drunk or anything like that). The next day the husband was charged with assualting a police officer and interfering with with a police officer (they would have dropped the charges had he offered to plead guilty I might add). It is standard practice to check on every occupant of the house to see if there are children involved. What surprised me was that they didn't take the wife with them!

We've had a few cases in the past where one party or the other got violant (just had a shooting a few weeks ago on the same issue). Even had one woman go after her husband with a baseball bat while he was in cuffs! The idea is for nobody (including the cops) to get hurt, but domestic stuff gets pretty hairy from time to time. They can have a warrant in about twenty minutes, but if somebody's hurt it maybe too late. I suspect that if your kids were in that house you'd want that cop in there asap
gary

Thanks for the additional detail on the incident. Yeah, I don't have anything against the policeman. By far and away the majority are good folks, with a very difficult job that places them in physical danger - repeatedly. The gripe here was about the judgement resulting in the inability to defend one's self in their own home - or risk criminal prosecution. This is a sacred right to me and many others.

My brother had troopers force themselves into his home on a domestic violence investigation. Turns out they reported to the wrong house! Talk about a cluster! On the other hand, as long as people are involved in any corrective societal matter, mistakes will occur every now and then. And in Alaska, the methods to ID the physical address weren't that refined to the point they currently are. But still... pretty important to know you're at the correct home before you start shoving the occupants up against the walls and cuffing people. What if my brother, caught completely by surprise in his own home, had doubted the legitimacy of the troopers and decided to defend himself and his home with deadly force. NOT a pretty scenario.

I sort of agree, not sure about the constitutional end but a good rule to follow. like others said, mistakes happen. there is no reason to die from them, me or the officers involved. cooperate then take them to court for a good payday if you get hurt or they tear things up. My vehicle was searched based on a mistaken identity a couple months ago. It wasn't illegal because when he said in a terribly nasty tone that he would like to search my vehicle I replied calmly "I encourage you to do so" he did and angrily left the seen because he got nothing. He did run the numbers on my .45 though because he was absolutely convinced it HAD TO BE stolen. He learned different no harm no foul. I don't have a carry permit so it was sitting at the ready in my passenger seat slide back mag released and lowered empty chamber. Much safer condition than our law requires.

Thanks for the additional detail on the incident. Yeah, I don't have anything against the policeman. By far and away the majority are good folks, with a very difficult job that places them in physical danger - repeatedly. The gripe here was about the judgement resulting in the inability to defend one's self in their own home - or risk criminal prosecution. This is a sacred right to me and many others.

My brother had troopers force themselves into his home on a domestic violence investigation. Turns out they reported to the wrong house! Talk about a cluster! On the other hand, as long as people are involved in any corrective societal matter, mistakes will occur every now and then. And in Alaska, the methods to ID the physical address weren't that refined to the point they currently are. But still... pretty important to know you're at the correct home before you start shoving the occupants up against the walls and cuffing people. What if my brother, caught completely by surprise in his own home, had doubted the legitimacy of the troopers and decided to defend himself and his home with deadly force. NOT a pretty scenario.

I agree with you 100%.
gary

What if my brother, caught completely by surprise in his own home, had doubted the legitimacy of the troopers and decided to defend himself and his home with deadly force.
I would hope he took a respectable number of em with him, because that's just what I would do.
Deadly Force is authorized in MY home. I don't care who breaks in, they die until I die.

Now, if police meet me at the driveway, or knock on the door identifying themselves with badges and declaring valid/accurate warrant. They can come on in, search, or detain, whatever.
But these weekend warriors busting doors down for the rush of it??
They better bring it, cuz I got 10seconds worth of 2nd, 4th, and 14th ammendments for them..

I would hope he took a respectable number of em with him, because that's just what I would do.
Deadly Force is authorized in MY home. I don't care who breaks in, they die until I die.

Now, if police meet me at the driveway, or knock on the door identifying themselves with badges and declaring valid/accurate warrant. They can come on in, search, or detain, whatever.
But these weekend warriors busting doors down for the rush of it??
They better bring it, cuz I got 10seconds worth of 2nd, 4th, and 14th ammendments for them..

cops do knock on doors, and they do identify themselves. They've been doing "no knock" entries for years and years. Just went thru this back in the winter when they knocked on a door to ask the fellow to turn his music down a notch or two. He comes to the door with a rifle and starts shooting thru the door. He left the scene in a rubber bag!
gary

cops do knock on doors, and they do identify themselves. They've been doing "no knock" entries for years and years
Now, which is it?
It matters, because I really don't care who breaks in(badged or not), they die until I die.
It's MY HOME.

IMO, police should reduce their risks, if at all possible, by apprehending or serving warrants -outside any dwelling or vehicle. Along the same line, and to protect the public, they need to stop playing cowboys and indians with high speed chases on public highways & streets.
PUBLIC SAFETY comes before LAW ENFORCEMENT, just as it applies to egression of ambulances and fire trucks.
And when police escalate their risks, they escalate ours as well.
Just accept that I do not respect this.

If anybody illeaglly enters my home i will kill them if i can, if i dont have the opportunity to get off the first shot i wont resist but will hunt them down and kill them later.

Look for every cop to carry a generic domestic disturbance entry warrant in the future. Thus leaving out everything else.
gary

That's about right!!! Where I live I always notice they have a G@F officer at the DUI road blocks. That way if you decline for the police officer to search your car the game warden can say he's doing a game search. You can be in a Corvette, and he can say we think you've been spot lighting deer! Now open that glove box up boy! There might be a big 10 point in their. Now that's a violation of my civil rights.

It doesn't matter what courts allow. Law enforcement should know(and we should remind them) that we will not let them enter our homes -as criminals would.
We WILL protect ourselves and our families, and until reasonably known otherwise, a forced entry('legal' or not) puts us, and/or our family, directly in harms way.

But you know,, It's all a deadly game..
Cops know their actions are escalating. This is the 'rush' they signed up for.
Politicians love the wielding of their army of dimwits, **** public safety, or police safety.
It's this power we used to be protected from.
Power, we are increasingly forced to protect ourselves from.

Why is this all falling apart in America?
Folks, we need to stop embracing our enemies. Look what they do, or want to do, to us..

Dunno what I would do. In the heat of the moment and with only time for a snap judgement, it would probably be mostly instinctive. But there's so many phonies running around committing crimes as imposter police officers, that law enforcement really should error on the side of cautiousness. Because some jurors will be very receptive to the defense that I didn't think a legitimate law enforcement officer would force their way into my home when to the best of my knowledge, I had done nothing illegal. Safest way to make an illegal entry into a stranger's house would be in a police uniform - from my perspective. The bad guys and terrorists are doing this sort of thing regularly in Iraq and Afganistan. It's becoming a fairly commonly reported method for crooks in the US too.

I don't wanna shoot anybody due to mistaken identity or intent - let alone a legitimate law enforcement officer. So with any luck, we'll never have to face that scenario first hand.

A couple years ago I had a somewhat interesting encounter. I had two gentlemen beat on my sliding glass door so hard I though they were going to break the glass. Being in bed at the time of their arrival I was less than pleased to get up and find out what their problem was. One of them flashed a badge real quick past me. Then they immediately started asking me questions about one of my prior neighbors. They wanted to know where he lived now. My response, still half groggy from just waking up, was I hadn't seen him since he left. (I knew where he moved to but I wasn't going to tell these jerks.) After I gave them a piece of my mind about how they pounded my door, they left.

A few weeks later these clowns came back for a repeat appearance. Now I am a little more than ****ed. I greet them at the door with an O/U shotgun and told them I was tired of their games and wasn't going to mess around with them anymore. (I never did point the shotgun directly at them, but had it slung across my left arm, ready to pull up if needed.) Needless to say they didn't hang around long and haven't been back since.

It turns out they were a couple of ill mannered bounty hunters.

BTW: I live in a very quiet peaceful neighborhood with almost no crime.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts